• 2 1/2 sticks butter - softened
  • 2 cups coconut flour, sifted
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/3 cups of milk (or half n half) + 1 tablespoon
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • Coconut oil

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. With a pastry brush, grease two round 9 or 8 inch cake pans with coconut oil and dust with coconut flour.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the butter and sugar together for about five minutes on medium high speed, until light and fluffy, scraping bowl occasionally. Add the egg yolks into the butter and sugar mixture and beat together until well blended. Add the rest of the eggs in one at a time, beating mixture after each addition. In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients together. Add the vanilla to the milk. With mixer on low speed, add the flour and milk to the butter and egg mixture, scraping bowl when needed. When all the milk and flour mixture is used up, beat the cake batter together for about five minutes, until the color is a bit lighter and the batter is light and fluffy.

Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pans and smoothen out the tops. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.

Place the cake pans on a wire rack and let it cool for about five minutes in the pan. Run a butter knife along the edges of the cakes before removing from pan. When cakes are completely cool, frost with Marshmallow Frosting or Chocolate Ganache. Enjoy!!

Marshmallow Frosting

• 1 1/2 cups organic white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Place sugar, cream of tartar, salt, water, and brown rice syrup in a saucepan or pot. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is completely dissolved, forming a syrup.

Place egg whites in a mixer bowl and whip on high speed with an electric mixer for about 45 seconds, or until egg white begin to hold their shape. Continue beating on high speed while slowly pouring hot syrup into egg whites in a fine stream. Whip for about 5 minutes longer, or until frosting loses its gloss and stands in stiff peaks. Frost cake immediately. Enjoy!! :)

Submitted by Sarah, Milwaukee WI

I made the cake last night. It seems very heavy and dense. Is this how it is suppose to be?
# Posted By Kaye | 11/16/09 9:12 AM
It is supposed to be dense, but not extremely so. Did you sift the coconut flour and did the baking powder you used still have its full rising power?
# Posted By Sarah | 11/16/09 11:33 AM
My kids made this with the icing for my birthday. It is wonderful, I love the denseness of it and with the icing is nice and sweet. I couldn't stop eating it!
# Posted By Julie | 12/6/09 8:52 AM
I tweaked the recipe a bit. I was out of milk so I used coconut milk. The substitution seemed to work fine. I also added about 35 drops of lemon oil to the cake mix and I made cream cheese frosting to go with it. Topped it with toasted coconut. Turned out very nice.
I would increase the sugar a bit, as the cake is not very sweet. The frosting I made helps make up for that, but next time I might increase the sugar.
I did sift the flour and the cake turned out just fine overall.
Thank you for a very nice recipe.
# Posted By Dakotah | 8/18/11 9:11 PM
I made this cake for my husband's birthday this weekend, and it was GREAT! Everybody wanted seconds, including the children. :) To make this sugar-free, I used 1 cup erythritol and 1.25 cups Splenda in place of the sugar. Also, I used half milk and half heavy cream instead of all milk. I made my own sugar-free cream cheese frosting by creaming together 2 (8 oz) pkgs cream cheese with .5 cup unsalted butter until creamy. Then I mixed in 2 teaspoons vanilla and 2.5 cups Splenda until I got frosting consistency. I'll definitely make this again. Thanks so much for a great recipe! :)
# Posted By Anne-Marie Cain | 2/26/12 11:16 AM
Anne-Marie Cain

Glad you enjoyed the recipe! Unfortunately Spenda and all other artificial sweeteners are neurotoxins and best avoided. For those unable to tolerate sugar, it's best to stick with desserts that use fruit in small amounts for sweetening. Please look into this issue, as it is complex and worth investigating. Wishing you good health :)
# Posted By Kirsten | 3/1/12 4:10 PM
I live in New Zealand. We buy butter in 500gm size and not sticks of butter. How much does a stick of butter weigh so I can measure how much butter to use in your recipe?
# Posted By Jennifer | 3/23/12 1:18 PM
One stick of butter is 4 ounces, which would roughly be about 113 grams.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 3/23/12 3:16 PM
I, like several others, don't use sugar (diabetic), so I use Newsweet instead. Also, any idea if you could use egg replacer or flax instead of so many eggs? Going to try it and will let yu know how it turns out.
# Posted By Lynn Y | 2/11/13 11:23 AM
Wonderful cake that gets even better each day! I tried the chocolate recipe first but then found out I was allergic to chocolate, and was so disappointed til someone sent me this yellow cake recipe. I can have delicious cake without wheat. I make a butter icing for this and it's awesome together.
# Posted By Cheryl | 4/6/13 11:39 AM
Cheryl,
Would you mind sharing your butter frosting with us? It sounds awesome!
# Posted By Candace | 4/12/13 3:30 PM
@Candace
It's not my recipe, comes from an old Fannie Farmer cookbook.

4tbs softened butter to 1 cup of confectioners sugar
1 egg yolk or milk

I normally use 4 cups of conf sugar and 1 1/2 sticks of butter, but this recipe is forgiving.
You can leave out the egg yolk and use milk to thin it to your perfect consistency.

Cream butter then add in sugar. Add egg or milk, if using, and only use a tiny bit at a time.
# Posted By Cheryl | 4/12/13 5:10 PM
Thank you, Cheryl! Both recipes sound great!
# Posted By Candace | 4/13/13 4:09 PM
I used Almond Milk and instead of sugar or honey, used NewSweet. Turned out great! Didn't last long enought to worry about icing. WIll try that next time. Thanks
# Posted By Lynn Y | 4/16/13 7:16 PM

1 gallon
Grass-fed Bison Sirloin Steaks
Grass-fed Bison Sirloin Steaks
Grass-fed Beef Short Ribs
approx. 4.5 pounds (2 packages)
Short Ribs