Homemade Chocolate Recipe photo
Homemade Chocolate Recipe
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy, Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

Melt oil if needed. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour into molds, about 1 tablespoon each. An ice cube tray works well. Place in the fridge or freezer. Sets up in about 10-15 minutes.

This chocolate has been success any time I offered it.

Recipe submitted by Tony, Arvada, CO

Thanks Tony - that was a great recipe. They ended up tasting like smooth truffles. I used agave syrup instead of maple syrup. I can imagine these would be fun with other goodies added as well.
# Posted By shawna | 6/6/08 10:34 PM
Love this recipe! I made two half batches, one with agave syrup and the other with maple syrup.

I made the one with agave first with the full amount of cocoa powder (3 T) but it was a little too bitter. When I tried the maple syrup I reduced the cocoa powder just a bit and it turned out much better. They look so cute in little chocolate molds and taste great!
# Posted By Sarah | 6/17/08 3:52 PM
Would honey work instead of syrup?
# Posted By Tammy | 6/26/08 6:24 AM
I've never tried this recipe with honey, but I've made something else that's similar and the honey tends to settle to the bottom. You could try dissolving the honey with the oil over low heat, but I'm really not sure how that would turn out.
# Posted By Sarah | 6/26/08 1:50 PM
I've made this recipe before but it's been awhile. The 6 Tbsp of cocoa powder seems like a lot for that amount of syrup. I tried the maple syrup and put the chocolate in the ice trays, and the syrup went to the bottom. I'll try this again and use candy molds to see if it works better. Any suggestions on the amount of cocoa powder?
# Posted By Jennifer | 1/26/12 10:57 AM
This was delicious! It was a bit too sweet for my tastes, but I like my chocolate bars in the 85%- 99% range. Next time, I'll reduce the sugar and sprinkle pink salt crystals on it as it's chilling and maybe even add some cayenne! Great recipe!
# Posted By Susan | 2/20/12 11:19 AM
Just wondering why two kinds of Coconut oil? Couldn't you just use 1/2 cup of virgin expeller pressed?
# Posted By Suzy | 4/12/13 1:34 PM
Virgin and expeller pressed are two different kinds of coconut oil. Expeller pressed has almost no flavor while virgin, especially Tropical Tradition's Gold Label has a very strong, unique flavor. The two here are used to balance the flavors out, but you don't have to use two different kinds.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 4/12/13 1:41 PM
I was wondering if it would work with using only one kind of oil instead of two?
# Posted By Lauma | 4/12/13 1:58 PM