Gluten Free Coconut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe photo
Gluten Free Coconut Flour
Chocolate Chip Cookies

Photo by Recipe Author

Gluten free, dairy free

Servings: one dozen

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix together coconut oil, sugar, vanilla, eggs, and salt together. Blend thoroughly. Add flour, coconut and chocolate chips; mix thoroughly.

Form into small cookies on a parchment lined pan and bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Recipe submitted by Mara, Hoffman Estates, IL

Connection Failure

Just starting a gluten-free diet so this recipe makes it sound not so bad LOl Mmmmmmm can't wait to try it
# Posted By Julie | 10/3/09 3:04 PM
I was wondering can you substitute agave nectar for granulated sugar and do you have to add the shredded coconut? I don't want the cookie to be too coconuty? Any suggestions? Thanks!
# Posted By Lara | 10/11/09 11:10 AM
The shredded coconut does not have to be added if you don't want it too coconutty but I wouldn't try to swap a liquid sweetener for the sugar. To do that you would have to reduce another liquid and the only other two liquids used is eggs and oil and both are needed and cannot be reduced.

You could probably substitute about 2 tablespoons or so of the sugar for something like brown rice syrup or maple syrup and reduce about that much oil but I can't guarantee that it would turn out that way.
# Posted By Sarah | 10/11/09 5:34 PM
I sub honey for almost all my recipes that call for sugar. Honey however has a higher sugar content per volume and therefore less is needed. Reduce by 1/4. So far, I have not had any problems and my family has not been able to tell the difference in most cases. You can always try you agave nectar and keep us posted on how it worked although agave is not as sweet as honey nor as think so it may not work as well as honey. You could try half and half of each for starters and see how that goes. I figure, once I'm it the kitchen, it's my creation weather its success or a flop and it's always a good learning experience. So have fun with it!
# Posted By Sherry | 10/15/09 7:06 AM
When you use honey, do you use more dry ingredients to make up for the wetness?
# Posted By Sara | 11/7/09 6:48 PM
I suppose it'll depend. Generally you reduce a liquid, but you could add a tad more flour if needed. Just follow Sherry's directions for substituting honey for sugar and then "eyeball" it and see if the mixture is too wet or not. My guess is that it'll be fine considering it's coconut flour (which is a very thirsty flour). Just play around with it and see what you come up with. :)
# Posted By Sarah | 11/7/09 10:00 PM
I made this recipe today. I made a double batch and added white chocolate chips to one and chocolate chips to the other. They tasted great but were a little on the dry side. other than that, super recipe!
# Posted By Doreen | 1/4/10 7:33 PM
We're making them right now, and we're not using the coconut flakes. They look good, and we'll let you know how they taste in 15 minutes! :D
# Posted By Matthew | 2/27/10 11:32 PM
When substituting agave for sugar, we always use less (because we find agave sweeter) and add a healthy scoop of flaxseed meal (to help balance the liquid/dry balance and add health benefits).
# Posted By lkat80 | 3/7/10 8:44 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to add a scoop of flaxseed meal the next time. They are delicious!
# Posted By Doreen | 3/8/10 6:52 AM
Do you know if you can make this with egg subs? If so what would you recommend? I really want to make these but I have one egg free kiddo in the house and I think it would be tourture for him if I did not share :-)
# Posted By Kara | 3/18/10 5:05 PM
Try the flax egg sub (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed steeped in 3 tablespoons water for 2-3 minutes = 1 egg). Also, a tablespoon each of milk and cornstarch mixed together will substitute for 1 egg. I'd give either one of those two a go. :) Let me know how it turns out for you!
# Posted By Sarah | 3/18/10 7:30 PM
If coconut flour cookies are too dry, should I add more eggs or more oil?
# Posted By Diane | 3/19/10 7:47 PM
Great recipe - we made these tonight. I subbed honey for the sugar and added chopped walnuts.

I just wanted to point out that these cookies don't "spread out" when they bake, so if you drop the dough onto your cookie sheet and just leave it as kind of a "ball", that's the shape your cookie will be and the inside may not cook completely before the bottom starts to burn.

2nd batch just went in the oven and I pressed down on each scoop 'til it was relatively flat, then finessed the edges so I have nice round cookie shapes.

These are great!
# Posted By Gina | 3/19/10 11:47 PM
Diane: If they're too dry, add another egg or two. But wait until a baked cookie comes out and taste before doing that. Oil doesn't really do much saturating here.

Gina: Great! Glad you like them. :)
# Posted By Sarah | 3/20/10 12:24 AM
These cookies are delicious. A little coconutty for my mom who don't like coconut so much, so the next time I will omit coconut flakes, if I bake for her. I don't think these cookies are on a dry side (I have tried cookies that are really dry), may be these have a little rough texture in comparison with regular wheat flour cookies. Good recipe, thanks.
# Posted By amanecer | 6/10/10 7:58 AM
I'm glad you like them amanecer! :) Give the Chewy Gluten Free Chocolate Chip cookies a try if you want one without the coconutty flavor and with wheat-like texture.
# Posted By Sarah | 6/10/10 2:38 PM
I made these with agave syrup, about a third of a cup, with a little flaxseed meal thrown in because of the liquid sweetener and used EnerG egg replacer for the eggs. They turned out great.
# Posted By glenda | 8/24/10 11:52 AM
I just made these and Mmmmmm they are delicious! I altered the recipe based on previous comments and added about 1/4 c. of arrowroot, 1/2 cup organic dark sugar (like brown sugar) and an extra egg yolk. They seemed less dry to me this way (I've made them before). I added the sugar because I used unsweetened carob chips instead of chocolate. I would not add the extra if I had used choc chips instead. Oh, and I didn't use coc. flakes simply because I'm out right now. :) A more cakey texture but wonderful for a gluten free cookie!
# Posted By Tiffani | 9/22/10 7:22 PM
I made these replacing the coconut oil with 1/2 cup melted butter since I didn't have that oil. I also followed Sherry's advice and replaced the sugar with honey, reduced by 1/4. The cookies tasted good, but they were dry as some comments indicated. Next time I may try adding some milk? or some other liquid. Otherwise they were good. I ended up with 17 cookies using a heaping tablespoon of batter for each, in case people are wondering the amount this makes.
# Posted By Paula | 4/12/11 7:37 PM
made them today. They were good but a little dry. i added an additional egg,still dry. First time using coconut flour so i didnt really know what to expect. All in all I am happy just make sure you have a glass of almond milk to go with.
# Posted By kevin | 4/30/11 5:26 PM
I made these tonight - SO easy. I used 1/3 cup honey instead of the sugar - turned out great! Will definately make again. I used a melon baller to scoop, smushed them a bit with a fork and came up with 30 cookies, which took about 12 minutes to bake.
# Posted By Joanna | 5/6/11 8:34 PM
The flavor is great but I find coconut flour baked goods to be too dry for my tastes. I added a banana and used butter to solve this problem.
# Posted By shanna | 6/1/11 6:22 AM
These were so dry!
# Posted By Lacy | 6/2/11 10:57 AM
I made these up with 1/3 cup honey instead of the sugar, but even the mix seemed too dry. I added about 1/4 cup (eyeballed) of organic milk, and 1 1/2 tbs butter (whipped cream being the only ingredient), and made them up. Even with that, they came up a tad dry, but definitely good enough for me!
# Posted By Monica | 6/9/11 4:39 PM
I'm thinking that when I do start baking the goodies, that I will add shredded zucchini to the mix. It adds a bit of moisture which should solve the dryness of the cookie. Zucchini tastes so good in baked goods... sh... and no one needs to know! ; )
# Posted By DeeDee | 6/9/11 9:05 PM
These cookies are pretty dense but very yummy.
# Posted By Christine | 8/5/11 8:47 PM
Yum! Perfect! I have been searching for a wheat free cookie recipe, and this one is wonderful. I added an extra egg yolk, included the shredded coconut, made larger cookies, and baked for 20 minutes. Not dry at all. Thank you!
# Posted By Clare | 10/9/11 11:55 AM
I didn't have parchment or vanilla but made them anyways. I doubled the recipe and for the "fat" used a combination of coconut oil/canola oil/butter/olive oil (I was scraping the barrel of what was in the kitchen).

I formed into balls with my hand and pressed down. 15 minutes didn't seem to be enough for me. Cookies weren't burnt at all despite not having parchment. Cookies are moist and not at all crumbly/crunchy like I like them. (I don't like soft cookies). Flavor is OK but I would NOT have liked these if I used the coconut oil (too strong a taste and I LOVE coconut). I think the vanilla would have really helped mine out a bit (alas, the cupboard was bare).

The little boy in our house will probably love them. :)
# Posted By Linda in Los Gatos | 2/2/12 11:35 AM
Coconut flour is high in fiber-so it absorbs alot more liquid than regular flours and is more sensitive to humidity in the air. My technique is to add the flour a little at a time to the liquid ingredients until the consistency looks right. So my batch was made w honey (1:1 ratio for the sugar) and HALF the coconut flour called for in the recipe. Rolled dough into balls, flattened and cooked for 17 minutes-they were amazing!!!
# Posted By michele | 2/5/12 12:03 PM
i made these without coconut flakes and they worked out great! Made almost 2 dozen with this recipe and were not too dry. The kids loved them too!
# Posted By sandra | 5/7/12 10:29 PM
We just made these and replaced the sugar with honey, added one banana & a few drops of liquid stevia. I scooped them into balls and then slightly flattened them with a fork. They took 13 mintues to cook and so far I've made 2 dozen out of this one batch and I could probably make another dozen and a half. they are small cookies though. They turned out delish!!! I think i might try these with white chocolate and cranberries next time.
# Posted By Brittany | 5/20/12 4:20 PM
for those of you who still use agave nectar to sugar, please read up on it and consider honey or maple syrup. i was shocked at how agave nectar is made, and the misrepresentation to the public!
# Posted By lfb | 6/23/12 10:56 PM
We made these cookies today! YUMMY! We used honey instead of sugar and only added a bit of coconut flakes. They are really good.
# Posted By harpar | 8/19/12 9:23 AM
I was wondering if you can/should sift coconut flour, and if this could help with the rough texture? And I do agree with the previous post, look into agave nectar, not as great as what I once thot it was either! Mercola had a good article about it awhile back
# Posted By bre | 9/3/12 12:49 AM
AMAZING RECIPE!!!!! The only thing I added to it was half a cup of coconut milk to help with how dry I felt the batter was and also substituted 1/4 c. honey for the sugar. They came out perfectly! THEY ARE GREAT for me because I am both wheat and lactose sensitive. I used Baker's chocolate, but I would have preferred using Trader Joe's 73% dark. :) Either way... ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!
# Posted By Megan | 9/8/12 2:55 PM
It would be helpful to write in the recipe portion that they do not spread out in the oven.
# Posted By Julie | 1/30/13 8:22 PM
I added 2TBL spoons of organic apple sauce and used 1/2 the amount of sugar (Domino Light). I decided to add the applesauce since the batter looked and felt pretty dry after mixing all the ingredients together. Probably could've used another 1/2 or full TBL spoon but overall delicious recipe!
# Posted By caitlin | 2/7/13 10:38 PM
These are awesome! I substituted xylitol for the sugar and added about a 1/4 cup of coconut milk to moisten :) enjoy!
# Posted By Julie | 4/4/13 11:06 PM
These are great! I added 1 extra egg and used 1/2 brown sugar 1/2 white sugar. I also added a 1/4 cup of almond milk. They turned out beautifully. I might even add a little extra almond milk next time or 1 more egg cause they were still a tad dry but all in all a delicious cookie!!
# Posted By Crystal R. | 5/15/13 10:42 PM
Not terrible, but dry :(
# Posted By Jamie | 11/23/13 7:49 PM
This recipe looks so yummy. I wonder if it would be okee dokee to substitue coconut oil for the olive? Or should it be mixed? Thanks so much.
# Posted By lindy r | 4/3/14 10:41 AM
I don't know what happened here. I used an extra egg, and I added over 1/4 cup of rice milk to help moisturize but these cookies came out hard and crusty. I also followed the directions where it said form the dough into balls...this didn't work, they stayed in balls! The outer layed seemed to burn while the inside was raw. The first batch went in the trash. The second batch, which I cooked on alluminum foil and pressed flat came out slightly better but still dry, and weird. Something is off in this recipe.
# Posted By Cari | 4/7/14 1:54 PM
Pretty good recipe. My cookies were a tad dry. I did sub the sugar for 1/4 cup baking stevia.
# Posted By Amber | 6/9/14 11:02 PM