|Gluten Free Coconut Lime Torte served with star anise and coconut milk sauce|
Photo by Recipe Author
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- zest of 1 whole (unwaxed) lime
- 1 cup sugar (or equivalent substitute)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 medium eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about two limes)
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9" round or springform pan.
2. Combine the almond meal, coconut flour, lime zest, sugar (or substitute), salt, and baking powder in an electric mixer or food processor and pulse a few times until any lumps are broken up.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, followed by the oil and lime juice. Continue to mix at high speed for a couple minutes to work some air into the batter--it should grow in size a bit.
4. Pour into a greased springform pan and place in the oven. The baking time will vary depending on your oven and the humidity in the environment. Start checking it about 30 minutes into baking. It will be ready when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. When ready to glaze, mix the powdered sugar, water, and lime juice together until smooth. Drizzle all over the cake and allow to set. Serve immediately after glazing.
Additional Serving Suggestions:
**Serve day-old cake in "cream" puddle of 1/2 cup coconut milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream simmered for a couple minutes with 4 star anise and 2 teaspoons of sugar.
**Serve slightly stale cake as French Toast using a batter of 1 whole egg, 3 tablespoons of heavy cream, and 3 tablespoons of cold-brewed tea (I used leftover black leaf & star anise tea, but feel free to get creative!). Soak a slice in the batter on each side and fry in 1 tablespoon of butter. Serve with warm syrup (simmer with star anise, if desired).
Recipe submitted by Alejandra, New York, NY
|The average is oldaverage based on oldtotal votes.|