Gluten Free Black Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe photo
Gluten Free Black Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies made with coconut flour

Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy, Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

Servings: 22 cookies
Preparation time: 10 minutes

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Over very low heat, melt butter and coconut oil, stirring until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in cocoa powder. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl blend eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Whisk in cocoa mixture. Sift in the coconut flour and whisk until there are no lumps. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

On a cookie sheet greased well with palm shortening, place tablespoon-sized mounds of the dough about an inch apart.

Bake in preheated oven for approximately 14-19 minutes.

Recipe submitted by Gail, Chicago, IL

Those look good! I will have to try them. I am finding lots of recipes using the coconut flour I have. I loved the biscuits and I am sure I will love these cookies, they look delicious.
# Posted By Miss Rachel | 10/8/09 4:28 PM
these were pretty tasty! i added 3 extra tbsp sugar and doubled the vanilla. i really like them and plan on docing in my blog. thanks for the recipe!
# Posted By liz | 1/29/10 6:41 PM
These cookies are totally amazing. I made them once, and I had to double to recipe the next time as EVERYONE wanted fourths of them! TOTALLY DELICIOUS. And soooo easy to make. I wrote down the recipe to go and make them again. Yum yum, is what I call them. Delicious!
# Posted By Miss Rachel | 2/8/10 3:43 PM
I made these today with a couple more changes that I really liked. I added 1/2 tsp. of espresso powder to the cocoa. Toasted the walnuts before adding to the batter. Doubled the coconut oil, sugar and vanilla. Baked for 9 mins. to keep moist. Very decadant!
# Posted By Teresa | 4/5/10 8:28 PM
Mine turned out a bit flat and cake like. Any Ideas what I did wrong?
# Posted By Cally | 5/20/10 11:27 AM
The cookies are cakey, but as far as flat goes...did you flatten the batter or did you just leave it in undisturbed in a mound? The cookies will spread a bit during baking so you don't want to flatten them.
# Posted By Sarah | 5/21/10 6:21 PM
EXCELLENT COOKIES!!!!! I am not a health food person at all... but I have gotten so fat I had to do something about it...recently lost 25lbs....my secret now is just lowering my carbs. I LOVE coconut flour...I made these cookies...doubled the vanilla and used Erythritol as the sweeter (same measurements as sugar)...used a TBS more that the recipe called for.......these cookies were soooooo good!!!
# Posted By LISA | 12/26/11 10:17 AM
Hi! Do you think it would be acceptable to use a natural sweetener like stevia to replace the sugar?
# Posted By Renee | 10/2/12 5:20 PM
so I just made them and the dough has the consistency of cake batter.. should I add more coconut flour or is this to be expected.
# Posted By audra | 10/4/12 7:03 PM
It's fine. It's not supposed to be a dough, but a very thick "batter".
# Posted By Sarah | 10/8/12 11:35 AM

Good Calories, Bad Calories
Good Calories, Bad Calories
until Sunday April 27th
Coconut Oil for Pets
Coconut Oil for Pets
Coconut Oil for Pets
while supplies nearing expiration date last