Chicken Adobo with organic coconut oil and coconut water vinegar recipe photo
Chicken Adobo with organic brown rice and broccoli

Prepared by Marianita Shilhavy, Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

Servings: 6-8
Preparation time: 5 minutes

Melt coconut oil over medium heat in a large pan. Fry chicken lightly on both sides.

While chicken is frying whisk all the remaining ingredients together. Pour over chicken.

Place a lid on the pan and simmer the chicken for 30 minutes. Turn over once and simmer for another 30 minutes or until done.

Serve with rice and vegetables and garnish with spring onions if desired.

* Can eliminate if gluten free is needed, or find gluten free version.

Recipe courtesy Marianita Shilhavy

Why use Worcestershire sauce rather than traditional fish sauce?
# Posted By Beth | 6/1/10 1:02 AM
It's just for this version. The Filipino Chicken Adobo isn't a very strict recipe; usually each person has their own version. But the "base" ingredients are always oil, vinegar, garlic, ginger, bay leaves, salt and pepper, and soy sauce. Fish sauce isn't in the traditional recipe and isn't used unless you're adding it as personal preference. In this case the "personal" ingredient is Worcestershire sauce.
# Posted By Sarah | 6/2/10 2:51 PM
Yeah very many adobo recipes vary, my family uses a much more simple version of this, all we use is soy sauce, white vinegar, whole black peppercorns, bayleaf, and a bit of water and a bit of garlic, but we've never used oils or added fats we just use whatever rendered fat is on the animal we are using for the recipe. I am going to try this recipe tonight when I get home from work.
# Posted By Laura | 9/8/10 9:03 AM
I made this chicken for dinner and it was delicious! I used all ingredients sans worcestershire sauce. I had it with brown rice and asparagus instead of broccoli but of course you can virtually use any green veggies with this dish. My daughter loved it and she is a picky eater. Thanks for the recipe! I will definitely be making this dish again!
# Posted By Patricia V. | 2/14/11 9:24 PM
My dad's recipe is chicken, garlic, grated ginger, vinegar, onions, soy sauce, he would also add a small can of tomatoe sauce the last 15-20 min. of cooking, servie it over rice and OMG is it GREAT and I ALWAYS GET RAVE REVIEWS for this version. My father was born and raised in the Phillipine's and was a FANTASTIC cook!!!
# Posted By Rio | 3/4/12 11:07 PM
sorry, I forgot to add I WILL DEFINATELY TRY THIS VERION WITH THE COCONUT VINEGAR!!! It's sounds like a vinegar I will LOVE...thank you for the recipe.
# Posted By Rio | 3/4/12 11:09 PM
Can & how could you do this in a pressure cooker?
# Posted By Nan | 8/4/12 1:29 PM
Rio,
Your Dad's version was amazing. Thanks for the tip on the tomato sauce!
# Posted By Cilla | 8/20/12 9:54 PM
Be sure to check your soy sauce, most soy sauce has wheat in it. Gluten free tamari may be substituted.
# Posted By Debbie | 9/24/12 4:06 PM
I have been making this recipe for a while now and love it!! But tonight I am going to try it with tomato sauce! Thanks Rio!
# Posted By David J | 10/7/12 4:46 PM
I personally use ketchup as it is a great cross between tomato sauce + worchestershire. Experiment and see what works best for you!
# Posted By Clint | 5/12/13 7:43 PM

Good Calories, Bad Calories
Good Calories, Bad Calories
until Sunday April 27th
Coconut Oil for Pets
Coconut Oil for Pets
Coconut Oil for Pets
while supplies nearing expiration date last