Life without gluten can be full of obstacles and variations, but that shouldn't mean you have to settle for something less.

Take cake for an example. Gluten-free cakes will never be as good as the wheat ones, right? WRONG! I myself am not gluten intolerant, but I do know what it's like to have to give something up because it's not healthy and try to find an alternative. I don't like to settle for something less; for me taste is a very close second to healthy.

My biggest goal in producing gluten-free recipes is "foolproof-ness." Cake was a big one, and I was eager to try it. This was right about the time that I was really getting into my little coconut flour frenzy and trying to come up with as many recipes as possible for the product. Cake was something I hadn't tried yet, but I was ready to start experimenting.

The first thing was ideas. I wanted to do a yellow and chocolate cake, but decided on the chocolate first. I found a chocolate cake recipe I liked, and began the long process of taking it apart, adding, taking away, testing, testing, testing. By the time I was done it was a totally different recipe. It was by far the longest time I ever spent developing a recipe; even longer then my Coconut Flour Brownies. I tried, and tried again. Each time there always seemed to be something wrong with it. The biggest issue was the dryness. It always seemed too dry. The more I experimented, the more the amount of eggs grew. Soon they had reached a rather alarming amount, but by that time I finally had the perfect gluten free chocolate cake.

It was moist, fluffy, chocolaty, and perfectly foolproof. Many times I've made them for company dessert (many with little kids by the way) and unless I told them they were gluten free they would've never known or suspected and would've just kept on happily wolfing it down.

No, no, seriously. It's really that good. If you make it, follow the recipe exactly and please don't change a thing and then tell me it doesn't work. It really does work. The eggs are the most important part, and they definitely cannot be changed.

While you're mixing the eggs and butter together, don't panic if the butter separates into little sesame seed shapes. That's normal, and doesn't bother anything at all. I also recommend having the butter still just a tad bit cold, not near melting point.

This recipe can be made as a 2, 8 inch layer cake, a 9 inch layer cake, or cupcakes. I like to use a buttercream frosting for this cake but pretty much anything that goes with chocolate will be good on this.

If any of you try the recipe, please feel free to let me know how you liked it. :)

Gluten Free Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake recipe photo
Gluten Free Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy, Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9 inch or 8 inch layer pans with coconut oil and dust with cocoa powder.

In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter and sugar, and beat together for about 2 minutes. Add eggs in one at a time and beat high speed for about 3 minutes. Add in the vanilla while beating the eggs and butter mixture. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients together and add alternately with the milk to the butter mixture. Beat batter for about five minutes on high speed. Spoon batter into the two prepared cake pans and smoothen out tops.

Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean. Place pans on wire rack and cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans. Cool cakes completely before frosting. Use your favorite frosting to frost the cake.

Peppermint Chocolate cake variation: add 1 teaspoon peppermint extract to batter before pouring into pans and mix well. Frost cake with peppermint frosting or frosting of your choice.

Cupcakes: Make recipe as directed but spoon batter into muffin cups and bake for about 26-30 minutes. Frost after cupcakes have cooled completely. Makes about 24 cupcakes.

Enjoy everyone!

Sarah Shilhavy

This cake looks and sounds yummy, but my mixer doesn't have a paddle attachment. Would it really make a difference if I used regular beaters? You said to follow the recipe exactly, so I'm almost afraid to try it.
# Posted By Denise | 11/12/09 10:44 PM
Hi Denise!
The recipe will work with regular beaters. Just watch the batter and stop mixing once it looks pretty well incorporated. As with any mixer the time it takes to mix everything together will vary. The thing that you should really follow exactly is the ingredient list, but you'll be fine with regular beaters. :)
# Posted By Sarah | 11/12/09 11:00 PM
Hi This cake looks wonderful, but unfortunely for me,I cannot have sugar. I am not big on sugar subsitutes such as Splenda. Do you think Splenda would work. Any other suggestions for sugar?

Thanks

Susan
# Posted By susan | 11/14/09 7:06 PM
Hummm...well, I don't recommend Splenda. Not healthy. I've never made this cake without sugar, and really to be honest don't know how it would turn out. Honey might work...but to be on the safe side I'd do a half batch and try it. You could make this instead though: http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/recipe_Gluten-Free_Chocolate_Coconut_Cake.htm. It's sugar free. :)
# Posted By Sarah | 11/14/09 9:00 PM
No SUGAR in this cake! I made this cake with all these ingredients, except i did not use any sugar, because we have diabetics in our family, and I just plain don't want it myself. For all our desserts, I substitute xylitol in place of sugar. Use the same amount of xylitol as is stated in the recipe for the sugar. This cake was absolutely delicious even with no icing!!! It was light and moist!!! By the way, I used regular beaters.
You can also make icing with the xylitol.
Thankyou so much for the recipe, Sarah!!!
Xylitol from birch trees is best.
# Posted By Nan | 12/19/09 3:03 PM
Thank you Nan! So happy you enjoyed it and was able to tweak it. :)
# Posted By Sarah | 12/22/09 12:04 PM
How much coconut oil should one use?
# Posted By Kate | 12/22/09 1:43 PM
Use just enough to grease the pans; no specific measurement.
# Posted By Sarah | 12/22/09 2:39 PM
is it ok to use rice milk? and to use rapadura or coconut sugar?
# Posted By Kristine | 12/27/09 7:07 PM
Thank you all for your comments, your comments will allow me to bake replacing the sugar and gluten in my diet without giving up something sweet once in a while. I am not able to eat regular sugar or wheat products. Can anyone tell me how much coconut flour to use as a substitute?
# Posted By Lorna | 12/27/09 10:22 PM
You can read about that here: http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/index.cfm/2009/8/5/How-To-Use-Coconut-Flour
# Posted By Sarah | 12/28/09 10:59 PM
I made this cake last nights and it was amazing! I'm just getting used to making gluten free so don't always know when it's done and may have over baked it a tiny bit but it was so delicious just the way the recipe was written. Has anyone ever used carob powder instead of cocoa? My son has problems with chocolate. I may try it next time.
# Posted By Julie | 1/8/10 3:15 AM
I forgot to add that I put on peanutbutter icing--wow! My husband even ate some. Very delicious.
# Posted By Julie | 1/8/10 3:17 AM
I'm eager to try this recipe as well as many others here. I'm used to using almond flour and adding xanthan gum. Is xanthan gum helpful when using coconut flour? It helps to bind, and improve texture in flourless baking.
# Posted By Brenda | 2/3/10 3:44 PM
Yes, xanthan gum is a very good addition to coconut flour baked goods. You can toss a bit in with the flour if you want, but go slow on the amount. I didn't develop the recipe using said gum but it won't hurt it. :) It really can only make it better.
# Posted By Sarah | 2/3/10 9:41 PM
Thanks! I'll let you know how it turns out.
# Posted By Brenda | 2/4/10 8:50 AM
I made this cake and it was DIVINE!!! I used 1 1/3 cup of applesauce and 1/3 c. honey and it was perfectly moist and amazing!! We are on a sugar restriction for now but I needed something for my daughter's birthday that woldn't disappoint.....this was it!!! Thank you for a great AND tryuly foolproof cake!!
# Posted By Pamela | 2/5/10 10:25 PM
Hi, I was wondering if I can use Coconut Milk instead of the whole milk. Due to my dietary restrictions, I am drinking and baking with coconut milk instead. j
# Posted By Cheryl | 4/14/10 3:50 PM
Yes, go ahead. :) Coconut milk will work just fine. Just adjust the amount if needed.
# Posted By Sarah | 4/14/10 4:10 PM
Thank you! I will let you know how it turns out using the coconut milk.
# Posted By Cheryl | 4/15/10 10:14 PM
I am eager to make this cake for a child with egg and dairy allergies. (soy as well). Can you recommend something?
# Posted By June | 5/20/10 11:39 AM
I made this cake about five days ago and, guess what, it's already gone! I followed all the ingredients but used brown sugar. I even made German chocolate cake icing, the kind with pecans and coconut flakes, and it was really good. I did use organic raw sugar for the icing. My husband loved it. I've been following a strict diet for the past 2 months, basically like a diabetic - going low carb and gluten free. The cake is gluten free but I didn't want to mess with the recipe trying to take out the sugar, too, so I just left it alone. I've had a piece of this cake pretty much every day. The crazy part is I took my blood sugar reading this morning and it was 101, which is really good considering what I've been eating the last couple of days. I'm amazed this cake did not raise my BS to really high numbers, but I'm wondering if the gluten free aspect makes a big difference. I feel best with my BS under 100, but if I can have a 101 reading and my cake once in a while, too, I'll take it!
Thanks for a great recipe. I know you worked hard on it. I will definitely make it again.
# Posted By Dakotah | 2/3/11 4:08 PM
We really enjoyed this cake. It was very moist, and kept well on the counter for a day or two.
# Posted By Leanne | 2/13/11 11:36 AM
What kind of icing is on the cake in the picture? I'd love to have the recipe. Also, could I substitute honey for the sugar? If so, how much? Thanks!
# Posted By Angie | 3/5/11 2:36 PM
Angie: I used White Chocolate Buttercream on this cake. It was just a regular, classic vanilla buttercream with about 5-6 oz of melted & cooled white chocolate.

I'm not sure about using honey in this recipe as I've never tried it myself. Modify at your own risk. :)
# Posted By Sarah:) | 3/6/11 12:02 AM
Yammy, this cake is unbeatable! It's moist and tasty. I used Nutella and apricot jam with it. Thanks for the recipies :-)
# Posted By Judit | 5/17/11 5:54 AM
Could you use coconut oil instead of butter in this recipe and just add a little bit of salt (since I'm assuming you used salted butter)?
# Posted By Jenna | 6/2/11 11:29 AM
I tried this cake tonight and it was alright!, I don't know where I went wrong. I followed the directions except for the cocnut oil I used pam spray instead, but otherwise all the ingredients asked for. I found the cake literally fell apart when I was tranferring it to my cake plate to frost. I found it dry,,,any suggestions????
# Posted By Kathy | 7/18/11 7:38 PM
Would it alter the recipe if I used dairy free marg and rice milk? My daughter is Dairy Free as well as Gluten Free
# Posted By Wendy | 8/2/11 5:58 PM
Oh my goodness! DELICIOUS! This was my first gluten-free chocolate cake and it's one of my favourite chocolate cakes ever, period.
I topped it with chocolate cream cheese icing.
My guests didn't even notice anything different about it and wouldn't have known it was coconut flour if I hadn't told them.
Thanks for sharing!
# Posted By Adriane | 9/10/11 10:31 PM
I usually refrigerate my cakes, it seems to make them moister. Can I refrigerate a cake made with coconut flour?
# Posted By TFox | 9/11/11 11:12 AM
Me again. The cake turned out great. The only change I made was to use 5 eggs and 5 tbsp. ground flax seed mixed with 15 tbsp. water. I don't know why with all the cocoa powder mine was not real chocolatey but next time I will add some instant coffee to the water I mix with the flax to intensify the chocolate flavor.
# Posted By TFox | 9/12/11 9:37 AM
thanks for the tips!
# Posted By Angela | 9/16/11 1:48 AM
Adriane,

Could I have the recipe for the chocolate cream cheese icing? It's sounds marvelous! :)
# Posted By Angie | 9/23/11 3:55 PM
Don't do what I did the first time - I used Stevia instead of sugar, and it was a disaster! The batter was like building plaster and the resulting cake was like... well, I wouldn't even call what came out of the oven a "cake." It was strange and tasted very bitter. So do follow the directions just as written! I had never baked with Stevia before and now I understand all the tips (replace only half the sugar; reduce pan size; compensate with other ingredients; etc, etc). Maybe there are other sugar substitutes that work, I don't know. However, a few hours later I made it again, this time with white sugar, and it turned out great. Tasty and moist, just as described. With a a little plain whipped cream and shredded coconut on top instead of buttercream. It's delicious! Thanks for the recipe!
# Posted By Erin | 2/17/12 6:19 PM
I made it with Splenda and it was fine. Low carb and gluten free. My problem was that I used too much cocoa. Won't make that mistake again! Otherwise a great recipe.
# Posted By Brenda | 2/17/12 6:42 PM
I see one problem-its full of eggs. I am intolerant to eggs. I wish I could find some good gluten free recipes without the eggs.
# Posted By Trudy | 2/18/12 2:07 PM
I made this into mini cupcakes using a mini muffin pan. I followed the instructions exactly (but cut it in half).
It was AMAZING!!!!!!
For the minis, I baked for 14 minutes, and probably could have done 13.
I topped them with cherry berry coconut cream...and everyone who tried them, loved them!
I'm going to post about them on my website and link back to here, so I'll post the link when I do that in case anyone wants to see the pics, or get the coconut cream recipe (which is super easy).
I highly recommend this recipe!
I used erythritol and stevia to sweeten...and I'm now eating them for breakfast :-)
# Posted By Lisa | 2/20/12 9:48 AM
For those of you that need sugar free you might try Agave Nectar. That is what we use in our house and it tastes great. You just have to cut back on the liquid used in the recipe. You can google the substitution.
# Posted By Kareen | 3/6/12 2:23 PM
Agave syrup isn't healthy; it's highly processed and contains more fructose than high fructose corn syrup.

Sugar isn't evil. Just stay away from the highly processed stuff and use whole sugar when possible, and always in moderation.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 3/6/12 2:49 PM
I made this cake, followed the directions exactly, taste was fantastic but we found it a bit dry.
# Posted By Kathy | 3/6/12 3:33 PM
This is the first cake I have had in over 2 years being starch free... it is amazing! I had to put it away because I wanted to eat it all day. Thank you so much for taking the time to develop this!
# Posted By Kelly | 4/13/12 1:56 PM
Does anyone know if this recipe will work using tofu instead of eggs? I use tofu to replace eggs in baking all the time, but I am just starting to bake with coconut flour and haven't tried substituting eggs with it yet.
# Posted By Josh | 4/28/12 7:50 AM
I made it with coconut milk (from the dairy case, not the canned stuff) instead of real milk, and it turned out wonderful!
# Posted By Jennifer McGladrey | 5/1/12 8:13 PM
Hey egg-free folks -- have you tried flax eggs? Just ground flax and hot water whisked together until very viscous. Marvelous for vegans or others who can't eat eggs, and really good for solid rise.
# Posted By Mo | 5/3/12 4:17 PM
Mo - how much ground flax to water? Love this cake, but 10 eggs is a LOT. I like the idea of half the eggs (5) then substitue the flaxeggs for the rest - but how much would you use?
# Posted By Mom | 5/4/12 9:16 AM
Made the cake yesterday, it turned out great. I substituted organic coconut palm sugar since it is a low glycemic index sugar. The cake was a little crumbly, but still very good! I will make again
# Posted By Jessica K | 5/23/12 8:53 AM
The cakes looks absolutely perfect. Now, can you help me find that perfect gluten-free recipe for chocolate cake, and also without eggs for those of us who are allergic to eggs?
# Posted By Debbie | 6/11/12 6:58 AM
Not sure if this will help anyone else or not, but for years I did not eat eggs either because of an egg allergy. I was even tested as a child and it came out positive that I was allergic . A few years ago I read Sally Fallon's book Nurishing Traditions and found that you should be eating fertilized eggs (meaning a rooster lives with the hens - store eggs are not fertilized) so we tried it and I did not have my allergic reaction! We now have our own chickens and roosters and I eat eggs almost daily - no problems! Except we also found out I was allergic to soy and had to take the soy out of their diet also. This also showed up in an allergy to beef and turkey - I am allergic to the soy that the beef and turkey eat - I can eat grass fed soy free beef and turkey fine. Most people do not realize that in the allergy testing they use animals and animal products that EAT things you could be allergic to - therefore the test comes out saying you are allergic to the meat, eggs, milk, etc...
I hope that helps someone out there!
# Posted By Bev | 6/22/12 5:17 PM
Wow Bev that is very interesting. Thank you for sharing that with us. :)
# Posted By Angie | 6/24/12 2:21 PM
The picture shows a frosted cake, where is the icing recipe: :/
# Posted By Marla | 6/25/12 10:38 AM
I am gluten free myself, have not tried these recipes YET ... just found this website ... I am so excited ... I am craving a gluten free cake that tastes like heaven. Thank you ... I look forward to trying these recipes! Stay tuned!
# Posted By Sandra | 6/25/12 8:58 PM
Hi Sarah,

I know you say to follow the recipe exactly, but I am intolerant to sugar and cow milk. Have you tried making this with coconut milk and agave or xylitol?

Thanks for sharing!

Love and peace,
Iman
# Posted By Iman | 7/2/12 12:26 PM
I'm going to make this and use dates puree for the sugar I'll let you guys know how it turns out!
# Posted By Diane | 7/14/12 10:22 PM
I'm vegan and diabetic, so I replaced the butter with coconut oil, milk with coconut milk, used gound flax to replace the eggs, and used NewSweet to replace the sugar. The cake turned out beautifully. Thanks for a great recipe... and it didn't need icing at all.
# Posted By Lynn | 7/26/12 3:12 PM
I made this and followed the recipe exactly and it turned out AMAZING!!! No one knew it was gluten free. :)
# Posted By AJ | 7/28/12 12:06 PM
I am new to gluten free cooking and I'm not having much luck! Nothing rises. I'm really desperate for a yeast bread. Can anyone help me? I'm going to try this bread using the Zylitol which I really like. Thanks!
# Posted By Te-Ata Mueller | 8/7/12 7:26 PM
So I developed a single serving mug cake a while back and was looking to tweak it a little for the oven. I came accross your recipe and divided all ingredients by 10 to mimic my 1-egg cake and low and behold, your proportions were a little different than mine and took my cake from good to great! 2/10 of your recipe made a generous amount for 2: 5 small cupcakes that we topped with whipped cream and raspberries. Also, to stay true to my dietary goals, I used raw cacao and coconut nectar "sugar" in place of cocoa and the white stuff ;)
# Posted By Laura | 10/22/12 8:11 PM
I tried coconut flour yrs ago and hated the results. So it sat in my fridge and the pkging said it expired 4 yrs ago but I decided to try and see if it was still good, even though most websites said it lasted a year. When I opened it, it smelled just fine, with a hint of sweet coconut. So I used it and the cake was wonderful. I was so amazed and I used up the chicken eggs from my chickens, so that was a big plus too, as I always have too many eggs to use. Thanks so much for sharing!
# Posted By Cheryl | 10/26/12 9:07 PM
For those of you who subbed xylitol from birch trees, did you use the packets or liquid? Also, has anyone put this into a Disney cake pan..I am going to be making this in Mickey mouse for my son.
# Posted By Angie | 11/6/12 4:20 PM
Outstandingly Delicious!
# Posted By Jenni F | 12/4/12 3:23 PM
Hi, I would like to know if I can use coconut milk instead of whole milk, also can I use Truvia instead of whole sugar?
Thank You!
# Posted By Myrna M | 12/30/12 6:09 AM
@Erin and those who would like to try stevia: Sven substituting stevia to sugar, DO NOT just cut the quantity in half!! Stevia is very strong: only a TEASPOON will suffice for a whole cake. You can also try erythritol, but xylitol is my fave. I found whole sugar cane (a great yummy tasting product by the way) won't work well in every cake recipe: the cake will be compact.
# Posted By DietiNess | 1/14/13 8:39 PM
Sarah, how much liquid is needed if I was to replace the sugar with Applesauce 1 1/3 cup and honey 1/3 cup?
Someone commented this substitute works but was curious if the milk (liquid) was also changed even though it wasn't stated. Thanks.
# Posted By Nancy | 1/15/13 3:38 PM
Nancy: Coconut flour loves liquid so it probably won't have to be reduced much at all. I'd start out with 3/4 cup of milk and add the other 1/4 and 1/3 if it seems like it could use a little more.
# Posted By Sarah | 1/16/13 1:03 PM
Hi, I an thinking of måling This vald for my sons b.day, but wondering if It van be stored in the fridge overnight? Also wondering if u could reccomend a good dairy free chocolate topping that would suit this cake?:) thanks a lot, tina
# Posted By tina | 1/19/13 9:15 PM
tina: Yes, this can be stored overnight (it'll actually improve the flavor). As far as frosting, just get a good chocolate frosting recipe and use palm shortening instead of butter and coconut milk in replace of milk or cream to make it dairy free.
# Posted By Sarah | 1/21/13 2:54 PM
I made this cake for my sons 5th birthday party yesterday and it turned out GREAT. (I left it in the fridge overnight) I used coconut milk instead of whole milk and made a chocolate coconut cream frosting topped with strawberries:) One of our friends said it is the best chocolate cake he has ever tried:)) Thank You for this recipe!!!
# Posted By Tina | 1/24/13 8:38 PM
I love this cake! This was my first time baking with coconut flour and I was hopeful but skeptical. I followed the recipe exactly and it really is just as good- better even- than any other chocolate cake recipe I have tried. It tastes so good it doesn't really need icing, and the texture is amazing! Thank you for a wonderful recipe. :D
# Posted By Katie | 1/26/13 8:40 PM
Sarah, have you ever made this cake in a 9x13 pan? I generally do not use round layer pans for cakes and was just wondering if I needed to make any adjustments if I used the 9x13 pan size. Thank you!
# Posted By Holly | 1/27/13 4:08 PM
Wanted to know if you would be able to provide the frosting recipe that you used for this particular cake
# Posted By Trudy | 1/30/13 12:40 PM
I need a white cake recipe now...I"m allergic to chocolate...sighs
# Posted By Cheryl | 2/1/13 6:55 PM
Hi Sarah,
I made your coconut flour chocolate cake yesterday for the first time, and cannot believe how well it came out. Not only is it in no way compromised by the absence of wheat flour, it may be the best homemade cake I have ever baked.
My friend is celebrating her birthday in about a week, and I was hoping you had developed a white cake recipe of the same quality. If so, please let me know where I can find it. Thank you for the wonderful work you do.
# Posted By Jody, | 2/10/13 10:00 PM
Jody, I'm so glad this turned out so well for you! I don't have white cake, but I do have a yellow cake recipe here: http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/index.cfm/2007/12/21/Gluten-Free-Yellow-Cake

Hope that works!
# Posted By Sarah | 2/11/13 10:50 AM
Lactose intollerant, any suggestions for a milk substitute? Could'nt I just use the same amount of water? And for the icing...I used a box sugar free instant pudding, your prefrence of flavor, and sugar free cool whip (in a tub) Mix well spread on cake, it's great and no worries about the sugar! If you want to add a little flavoring, your choice, that's fine. I use it al the time and every one loves it they don't know the difference.
# Posted By Juanita | 2/14/13 8:44 PM
Still "new" to this, so my question may be silly. But I used Bob's coconut flour and the cake turned out "gritty"... what am I doing wrong? Tried it again using half coconut flour and half quinoa flour... horrible. Any suggestions?
# Posted By Lynn Y | 2/15/13 12:48 PM
Coconut flour is not gritty...That's the brand I use, Bob's. The only reason I can think of that could cause grittiness, would be if your sugar granules were not creamed into the butter.
# Posted By Cheryl | 2/20/13 12:00 AM
This looks amazing and I can't wait to try it! I don't keep whole milk around - can I use 1% instead? Would canned coconut milk work, also? I keep the Thai Kitchen on hand. :) I really would like to try the 1%, though, since my husband's not a coconut fan.
# Posted By Sarah B | 3/5/13 3:05 PM
Sarah B: Go ahead and use the 1% milk, it will be fine. Coconut milk should be fine as well but you may have to use more of it since the canned stuff is thicker. Enjoy the cake! It won't taste coconutty at all so hopefully your husband will enjoy it as well. :)
# Posted By Sarah | 3/5/13 9:47 PM
Can someone please let me know the exact amout of Flax used in place of eggs?

Thanks
# Posted By Jobi | 3/11/13 11:36 AM
This is the "recipe" I've always used... 1. Begin with whole, raw flax seeds and grind them yourself. It’s easy; use a coffee grinder, a spice grinder, a mortar and pestle, or a high-speed blender. Process into a very fine powder.

2. One egg equals [1 tbl flax meal plus 3 tbl water], and you do not need to make each one individually. In a small bowl, add flax meal followed by water (not water followed by flax), stirring as you go.

3. Refrigerate. This is key! Place the bowl of eggs in the refrigerator for at least 15 min., but an hour is best. This lets your egg to “set up”. Don’t skip this step! Make the eggs at the start of a recipe. That way, you can get them in the fridge, and then do the other steps while the eggs “set”.

4. When the eggs come out of the fridge they’ll be thick and sticky goo mess, just the consistency of egg whites. There’s your binder! Add them to the recipe and proceed.
# Posted By Lynn Y | 3/12/13 10:05 AM
Can you make an ice cream cake with this recipe?? Could I put homemade ice cream while it's soft into the middle and freeze?? Could you do it with softened store bought ice cream?
# Posted By melissa | 4/21/13 1:24 PM
This recipe looks great! Can you recommend how to turn it into a spice cake? I know from previous experiments (back before we had to go gluten-free) that cocoa powder needs to be replaced by a certain amount of flour if it is being omitted. I am very new to using coconut flour, so I would value your advice. Thanks!
# Posted By Suzanne | 4/21/13 7:24 PM
I made this cake this weekend for my gluten, dairy, and soy intolerant little brother for his graduation. I subbed coconut milk for the milk and soy free earth balance margarine spread for the butter. It came out so moist and delicious! By far the best gluten free cake I have ever tried. Next time, I want to look into egg alternatives and using applesauce to cut down on the sugar. I will keep you updated!

Oh, and I almost forgot! The frosting! I made a simple whipped cream using coconut milk. After refrigerating 2 cans of coconut milk overnight ( I use Thai kitchen taste of thai...something like that its in a red and black can). Not all brands of coco milk separate into cream and water so it is important to find a brand that does this otherwise your cream won't thicken. So take the chilled coco cream out of the fridge and dump the coco water. The cream part of the can will be very hard, just put it in a bowl and whip it with a hand blender for about 10 mins. Add honey or powdered sugar to taste. I put about a tablespoon of cocoa powder in mine to make it slightly chocolatey, but vanilla or chocolate is delish. (For vanilla, add teaspoon vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste if you have it). Keep the cream in the fridge until you are about to use it. Coco whipped cream can be runny if it isn't cold. I made the cake on friday, didn't refrigerate it, and frosted it right before we ate it on saturday. It was perfect. Will def make again!
# Posted By Taylor | 5/27/13 4:00 PM
I'm so happy someone tried making this wonderful recipe with Xylitol instead of sugar and it worked perfectly. I was wondering about that but didn't want to take a chance and waste ten eggs etc.I'm very appreciative that people are coming up with alternatives to baking with white flour. Thanks.
# Posted By Denise | 5/31/13 1:37 PM
Coconut flour chocolate cake ,,, the recipes at the botton of the recipes call for coconut oil,, how much oil do i need in the cake
# Posted By Rosa | 6/4/13 6:14 PM
I made this today and had the same result as Kathy and others. The taste was really good, but the texture was too dry and crumbly. I had to use frosting as a glue to keep the cake from falling apart. In the end, it worked, but it is far from moist. I followed this recipe exactly.
# Posted By chris | 7/24/13 1:05 PM
Less flour, more milk. What sometimes happens is the flour gets packed into the measuring cups and throws everything off. Fluff the flour and fill the cups lightly. No straight in dipping and mashing it in.
# Posted By Sarah S. | 7/24/13 4:39 PM
Sarah I like your cake, but can I change regular sugar for coconut sugar or hylitol and it has to be the same amount or different?
# Posted By Sasha | 7/25/13 1:19 PM
Sasha, I use NewSweet and it subs cup for cup. DIdn't have to make any adjustments at all. Turned out great
# Posted By Lynn Y | 7/26/13 3:58 PM
Sasha - Thank you! So question: why do you want to replace the sugar? Organic, whole sugar is not unhealthy (but must be moderated like many things). Coconut sugar is not a sustainable product (http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/coconut_palm_sugar.htm) and sugar substitutes are VERY heavily processed.

If you can't eat cane sugar, I suggest honey. Coconut flour loves liquid and sticky stuff so start out with about 3/4 cup of honey in replace of sugar and adjust to taste.
# Posted By Sarah S. | 7/29/13 11:28 AM
We simply don't eat sugar. I agree the artificial sweeteners are worse than sugar, but the NewSweet is made mostly from Trehalose, which has a lot of healthy benefits.
# Posted By Lynn Y | 7/29/13 11:37 AM
I was happy to find a grain free cake recipe using sugar. So many recipes with coconut flour are for the paleo and primal communities who prefer honey and maple syrup. I don't have a problem with sugar. IMO, it's the volume of baked goods we're consuming that's the problem, not the type of sweetener. Sugar is an important part of cake texture. We're diary free, so I used light olive oil in place of butter, and water in place of milk. So no creaming, just mixed liquid ingredients and dry separately and then whisked them together. Baked a 1/2 recipe in an 8" round pan. The cake was perfect. Very moist. It looked beautiful. Didn't need frosting. Just the right amount of sweet. Next time I'll go mocha and use coffee instead of water. And maybe some mini choc chips for extra chocolate flavor. But it made a great dairy free layer cake. Thanks for the recipe.
# Posted By Kristine in SB | 8/22/13 1:45 AM
# Posted By Kristine in SB | 8/22/13 1:45 AM
For those of you who are intolerant to eggs, 1 tbsp of flax or chia with 3 tbsp of water will substitute for one egg in baking. Let it sit for 15 min to gel up and it's ready to use. :)
# Posted By Annette | 9/10/13 11:03 PM
Thank you so much for this recipe. I have made this cake several times. It is moist, dense, and has a delicious chocolate flavor. I will be making it into cupcakes this weekend for my son's birthday. Looking forward to eating it, as always!
# Posted By Nicole | 10/1/13 3:30 PM
Here's the link to the white/yellow cake if anyone else is allergic to chocolate. I didn't see it posted so thought I'd add it.

# Posted By Cheryl | 10/2/13 1:20 PM
- I would like to do the recipe but your cups seems to be much bigger than mine.
I live in Singapore and 1 cup is 100g of flour (for example)
Would you have the recipe with grams?

- You are talking about white chocolate butter cream / choxolate cream chees icing.
Would you have some good recipes to share with us?

I really would like to do this recipe.
Thank you very much for your help.
# Posted By Sophie | 11/6/13 3:38 AM
Hi Sophie,

You can do some research on US cup to gram measurements but generally 1 US cup to gram (for flour) is about 128 grams.
# Posted By Sarah S. | 11/7/13 10:14 AM
Are there any recipies without eggs. My grandson is highly allergic to them. I'm looking for GF and egg free recipies. I would to try the Coconut flour also.
# Posted By Betty | 11/22/13 1:34 PM
This is by far THE BEST coconut flour cake I've ever made. My previous attempts have all tasted more like quiche than cake. I made a mini version of this cake for my daughter's first birthday smash cake. It was a huge success! Thanks for all your hard work!
# Posted By Jessica | 11/25/13 8:39 AM
Has anyone baked this at a high altitude? I'm at 6200 feet and am wondering if anyone knows what changes, if any, would need to be made.
Thanks!
# Posted By Leslie | 12/16/13 10:08 PM
We all loved this cake that a made last night for my daughter's 17 Birthday party. I used your coconut cream frosting as well. This is the first cake from scratch that I have ever made and it turned out GREAT. Thanks so much.
# Posted By Jana | 1/25/14 3:29 PM
I baked this cake, following the instructions to the letter, at a high altitude and just had to bake it about 10-15 minutes longer. It came out fantastic!
# Posted By Jana | 1/25/14 3:31 PM
I've always substituted plant based Xylitol (equal parts 1:1) for sugar every time and it comes out great....every time.
# Posted By Kiesha | 2/13/14 12:09 PM
I am new to using coconut flour; all gluten free cooking for that matter. My daughter has been recently put on a new diet due to stomach issues and cannot eat hardly anything and feels so depressed. I tried the cake today with some modifications. Instead of butter (since I cannot eat any dairy) I used coconut spread - it worked wonderfully! Creamed up with the sugar really well. I then substituted 6 of the 10 eggs with chia/flax see combo that I have here. Per the comments I read, I mixed it with water and let it sit for a bit before adding it when called for eggs. I then used coconut creamer instead of the milk. It all was so good that my daughter was so happy and my other children didn't know that it didn't have wheat flour in it. I think next time, I will try with all chia/flax combo as she isn't suppose to have much egg either. It is so hard to find things for her as she cannot eat wheat, gluten, corn, brown rice, honey, eggs (in excess), dairy (other than true butter) and so many additives along with having a very severe nut allergy. So thank you so much for this recipe and I look forward to trying different recipes.
# Posted By Monica G | 2/18/14 7:29 PM
Can I use stevia instead of sugar?
# Posted By Sandy | 2/27/14 9:01 PM
For those wishing to substitute other sugars for white sugar, try coconut sugar. It's made from the nectar of the flowers of coconut palms. (Who knew they had flowers?) It tastes delicious, and the glycemic index is 35, so if diabetes is the issue, you might see if this is an option. It's a brown color, but if your recipe contains liquid, you can dissolve the sugar in the liquid instead of creaming it with the butter to avoid a speckled look. It is a bit pricey but it also contains minerals and is sustainable grown and harvested. The package I have is also organic and non-GMO.
Some other options are turbinado sugar, palm sugar (which comes in a hard cone or disc, so you'll need to grate it first), agave or honey (you'll need to adjust your liquids accordingly, since they are liquid). Search for sites online to find out specifics when cooking with these various sweeteners.
# Posted By Linda | 3/2/14 3:17 PM
Linda - I wouldn't recommend coconut sugar, it isn't a sustainable product. There's an entire article here about it: www.tropicaltraditions.com/coconut_palm_sugar.htm Those flowers that they take off to get the sugar would turn into coconuts, and when a tree is used for sugar it cannot produce coconuts.

Raw honey would be the best choice if one didn't want to use sugar. However, whole brown cane sugar is a good, traditional sweetener as well.
# Posted By Sarah S. | 3/2/14 10:19 PM
I made cupcakes with it and used only 9 eggs because that's all I had at the moment. It came out really good I used the dr. mercola coconut flour with 27g of fiber vs 30 carbs. 5/5
# Posted By Ryan | 3/9/14 3:10 AM
Hi there,
this recipe sounds delicious. But I'd like to make a single cake. can I just cut all ingredients in half ?
Thanks
# Posted By Taline | 3/12/14 3:45 PM
Taline - Yes you can! Enjoy!
# Posted By Sarah S. | 3/12/14 10:39 PM
This cake worked out amazing!! Soo good. I used a mix of white, coconut and brown sugar because I didn't have enuf coconut sugar. Not very sweet but then topped it with whipped coconut icing. Oh man sooo good! It was for my girl's 1 yr old birthday party, and she loved it too :) thank you for your hard work!
# Posted By Kim | 3/12/14 11:56 PM
What consistency is it to be befor I add it to the tins? If it looks to thick can I add extra milk?
# Posted By Aisha | 3/24/14 8:54 AM
It should be pretty thick (but not frosting-like). You can definitely add more milk if it looks too dry.
# Posted By Sarah S. | 3/24/14 1:35 PM
I am so excited to try this cake for my sons 1st birthday. I'm a little worried on how to replace the egg(I have gotten a hand in switching dairy, because he can have coconut milk). I read all the other suggestions including how to use the flex if I don't have a grinder can you buy it all ready that way? Or can I use applesauce in place of the eggs? He is pretty much allergic to everything. Dairy, eggs, wheat, peanuts you name it he's allergic to it. I haven't had much luck using coconut flour but this sounds like a good one. Thank you for your help.
# Posted By Nancy | 3/28/14 9:14 PM
What makes this cake work is the eggs. I can't think of any substitution, maybe someone else knows. I'm not sure what you mean by flex.
# Posted By Cheryl | 3/30/14 9:10 PM
I have made is cake several times & use xylitol instead of sugar & sour cream or buttermilk instead of milk. It is a fabulous mud cake. I would urge all to research fructose which is what is in sugar, coconut sugar etc as it is the fructose that is bad. Check out Robert Lustig's video on the subject & you will soon get the idea about how bad fructose is.
# Posted By Anne | 4/4/14 11:57 PM
I want to use this recipe to make a cake for 20 people. Do you think it would be Ok to double the recipe and use two small lasagna trays lined with parchment paper?
# Posted By Natalia | 4/11/14 8:42 PM
Natalia - Yes, go for it! Just watch the batter and add more milk if it's too thick. Also, let us know how it turns out for you!
# Posted By Sarah S. | 4/12/14 8:31 PM
Just put two trays in the oven. I didn't double up, just followed the recipe but I had to add twice amount of milk because the batter was way too thick. I am using Nutiva coconut flour, maybe its density is different. Also In the middle of mixing the eggs, I realized that I ran out of cacao powder, so I just ground up some cacao nibs.
The consistency wasn't smooth, looked gritty. So keeping my fingers crossed right now:)
# Posted By Natalia | 4/12/14 9:19 PM
Do you have any recipes that are gluten and dairy free? I'm looking for something with coconut flour but dairy free
# Posted By Lee | 5/6/14 7:55 PM
On the subject of the sugar substitutes I had to comment. Anyone who is fighting cancer should not be eating sugar, period. However, if you want to substitute white or brown sugar, then coconut sugar is a good substitute because of it's low GI. Another good alternative is Date sugar, although it is very expensive. I recently learned that Agave causes inflammation so it is not as healthy as first thought. Honey is healthy, but very high on the GI. So for me, when I make this cake, I will be using the coconut sugar and not much of it. I've lost my taste for sugary things so I'm sure I'll be able to get by with half of what is called for in the recipe. I may throw in a mashed banana for some sweetness.
# Posted By Patsy | 6/29/14 10:46 PM
The problem with omitting the sugar is it has other functions, from what I've read, such as browning and cohesiveness so I was always afraid to go too low on the sugar. I have SIBO and I'm not "supposed" to have sugars or starches either.
# Posted By Cheryl | 6/30/14 10:09 PM
Cheryl, you are right, omitting all the sugar could have an adverse affect on how the cake comes out in the end.
# Posted By Patsy | 7/1/14 2:23 PM
Hi, Can I use soymilk instead of whole milk? Thanks!
# Posted By Susan | 7/13/14 6:55 PM
I made this cake and substituted applesauce and agave nectar for sugar and ground flax seed and water for 5 of the eggs. I ended up adding a little more milk than called for too. It came out great. My husband and my father both had a 2nd piece and I never told them what was in it.
# Posted By cheryl | 8/12/14 12:52 AM
I followed the recipe and it came out great. The next time I sifted the coconut flour once or twice, remeasured the two cups by spooning the flour into the measuring cups and proceeded with the recipe. It came out even better! I find coconut flour to be on the heavy side and sifting really made a lighter, moister cake.
# Posted By Naima | 8/23/14 4:16 PM
I made this tonight and it turned out beautifully. Light, rose perfectly, taste, perfect. I did sub in rice malt syrup (I'm a sugar free gal) I used 1/2 cup. I also used the rind of one orange, and it's juice, as I love Jaffa flavour. I also added 1 tablespoon of psyllium husk as I find it replicates the gluten in wheat flour nicely and gives a lighter texture to non wheat flours. Thanks for an EXCELLENT recipe
# Posted By Chris L | 8/30/14 3:20 AM
I baked the cake mixture in muffin pans and baked it for the same amount of time as indicated. Yield: 12 medium cupcakes and 12 small cupcakes. I decorated it with chocolate butter icing - yummie!

I did however only have 8 eggs available and substituted the other 2 eggs by using (per egg) 30 ml cold water mixed with 3 ml baking powder (total 60 ml water and 6 ml baking powder). The substitution worked quite well.
# Posted By Myrna | 9/2/14 9:47 AM
Do I need to sift the coconut flour before measuring it? (I'm a new coconut flour user, and the only bread recipe I have tried using it turned out horrible; I'm sure my user-error).
# Posted By ES | 9/16/14 10:40 AM
ES - You don't have to, but if the flour is very packed and clumpy its a good idea to break it up before measuring. If you're going to sift coconut flour, always do it before measuring so there's less chance of using too much flour.
# Posted By Sarah S. | 9/16/14 11:07 AM
I can't wait to try this cake. Thank you for the recipe. What I need to know is is it possible to make the cake using coconut or almond milk without ruining it? Thanks again. I will definitely make more of your recipes.
# Posted By TWK | 10/1/14 4:56 PM