Sweet Potato Coconut Peanut Butter Soup recipe photo
Sweet Potato Coconut Peanut Butter Soup
Prepared by Marianita Shilhavy, Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

In a large saucepan, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Stir in onion, ginger and garlic. Sauté for 1 minute. Add sweet potato, cayenne, salt, black pepper, and chicken broth.

Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat into medium-low heat; simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.

Puree the soup in the saucepan using an immersion blender or a regular blender in 2 batches.

Return the soup to the saucepan. Stir in coconut peanut butter and honey, continue stirring until peanut butter and honey melts. Serve hot.

Enjoy.

Recipe courtesy Marianita Shilhavy

This soup is incredible! Almost like a Thai coconut milk kind of soup, but not exactly. The subtle flavors just all seem to kind of compete for your attention and blend into something really special. I've never tasted anything like it! We are having fun experimenting with this new coconut peanut butter...
# Posted By Brian | 11/16/09 12:36 PM
This is a wonderful soup - made it tonight for dinner.
I had a bit of a problem when it came to the "blending" part.... it blew the lid right off of the blender along with a good part of the contents. Soup all over the counter, floor & me. Never ever have I seen anything like it. Since everything was already icky - I went ahead and did the rest...

Maybe, unless you have a fancy blender, treat it like Pea Soup and just let everything mush by it's self?

Was I ready to eat after all of the extra work ;)
Very happy with the finished product

Thank you!
# Posted By Lisa | 1/6/10 2:41 AM
Glad you liked it Lisa!

The soup was probably too hot, the cap on too tight, and perhaps the blender was turned on to a high speed right away? That'll blow the cap off. Next time pour just about 2 cups of soup into the blender and blend with the cap just barely on and on LOW speed. Work the speed up gradually until the soup is smooth. Repeat until you've pureed all of the soup. :) The key is small batches and warm, not hot soup. I hope this helps!
# Posted By Sarah | 1/6/10 1:23 PM
Hi again -

this is what I tried since everything was already icky and I had the same results... I even did the "pulse" on low with lid laid 1/2 on 1/2 off...same thing.

It is very good soup, will let everything simmer together for hours next time!
# Posted By Lisa | 1/8/10 10:55 AM
Is there anyway I can replace the peanut butter? I would really like to try this soup, but unfortunately I'm allergic to peanuts.
# Posted By Luna | 4/4/13 6:11 PM
I used cashew butter and coconut milk. So yummy!
Would like to try pumpkin seed or sunflower seed butter next time to avoid any nut allergies.
# Posted By Christine | 5/12/13 12:57 PM

Powdered Laundry Detergent
Powdered Laundry Detergent
until April 20th
Coconut Oil for Pets
Coconut Oil for Pets
Coconut Oil for Pets
while supplies nearing expiration date last