Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie recipe photo
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy, Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare pie crust.

Place pumpkin and spices into a small saucepan and heat gently over medium low heat, stirring constantly. Heat just until slightly warmed through.

Place the eggs and sweetened condensed milk into a bowl and add pumpkin. Whisk to combine and pour into prepared crust.

Bake for 13 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 and bake for another 35 - 40 minutes or until knife inserted 1 inch from crust comes out clean. Cool completely and store in the refrigerator.

Coconut Flour Pie Crust

In a medium sized bowl cut the butter and coconut oil into the coconut flour until mixture resembles irregular pea sized clumps. Add remaining ingredients except egg white. Mix together with your hands until a soft dough has formed. Pat dough into a 9 inch pie pan. When you are done forming the crust, take the egg white and beat it with a fork until frothy. With a pastry brush, brush the crust with the egg white just before filling.

* You can make your own sweetened condensed milk with our recipe here.

Submitted by Sarah Shilhavy

What can I use to substitute the condensed milk? Could I use coconut cream concentrate and coconut milk together to create this substitute? My son loves pumpkin pie and on GFCFSFEF diet! :-) Thank you.
# Posted By Carmen | 6/22/10 3:37 PM
Carmen: It would be really tough to replace the sweetened condensed milk in this recipe as it provides the milky flavor as well as the sugar. I'd recommend either just using the GF crust on a different pumpkin pie recipe that meets your requirements or experiment with coconut milk and honey mixed/boiled together.
# Posted By Sarah | 6/23/10 11:03 AM
Carmen,
I've used coconut cream to replace sweetened condensed milk in puddings and such and it's worked well. I also used it in a baked custard recipe to replace heavy cream and it's turned out well. It tastes coconutty, but ...well...
I think it's worth a try. I also made pumpkin custard without the egg for my egg allergic dd on GAPS. It wasn't great, but it was fine for her, and she got to eat "pumpkin pie", so she was happy. A little honey, a little pumpkin, some coconut milk....it's all good..
# Posted By Tina | 8/8/10 4:32 PM
I made this pie last night! Saving it for a small family dinner tonight. It looks yummy, but not like the picture above! The pumpkin filling is delicious and looks like it is supposed to. However, the crust BURNED all around the pie... it is actually a perfect Halloween pie - orange filling rimmed in black! It doesn't look like the crust is burned where it touches the filling though... so we will just cut off the burned parts and enjoy it!
# Posted By Elena | 10/30/10 12:31 PM
I'd also love this pie w/o the sweetened condensed milk, as I avoid sugar as much as possible....any substitutes??
# Posted By Margaret | 11/6/10 1:33 PM
You should be able to put a foil protector around the pie crust to save the edges while you bake it... they also have those aluminum pie crust edge saver thing-ies you can purchase to protect the crust!
# Posted By Cari | 11/6/10 3:55 PM
is there another flour that would yield good results. I cannot find any coconut flour. I have graham flour, do you think that would work?
# Posted By stacie | 11/15/10 6:47 PM
YAY!! a gluten free coconut flour crust recipe!
I look forward to making and eating this!
Thank you.
# Posted By joe | 11/19/10 11:55 AM
I have some large flaked unsweetened coocnut that I can run through the salad shooter to make coconut flour (that's how I make my almond flour). I also like to eat sugar-free so I'm going to play around with the recipe to see what will work.
# Posted By Rachel | 11/17/11 5:50 PM
Could I substitute the coconut flakes for some Coconut manna? Its like Coconut Cream Concentrate from what I've heard.

I've spent too much recently and don't want to buy the flakes at this time.
# Posted By Jonathan | 11/19/11 12:54 PM