We are often asked at Tropical Traditions why we do not sell any packaged coconut milks. The answer is that we have never found a packaged coconut milk that meets our high standards. It is a processed product, and freshly made coconut milk will separate and spoil quite easily. The water is heavier than the natural coconut oil, so the water sinks to the bottom and the oil tends to float on top after leaving it sit for a while. Commercially packaged coconut milks must add stabilizers to keep the product from separating, and often these stabilizers are in such small quantities that they are not listed as ingredients on the labels. It could be soy lecithin, or something like guar gum which can cause problems for people who are gluten intolerant. The product then needs to be packaged in air-tight containers to preserve it, and this is often done in metal cans that have aluminum inside, and potentially Bisphenol A (BPA). Since canned coconut milks are over 90% water, you have to be concerned about the source of water that was used in packaging as well. The best coconut milk is one you make fresh yourself!

Since most people reading this probably do not live in tropical places where you have access to fresh coconuts, the best way to make fresh coconut milk is from a high quality organic dried coconut that is not treated with sulfites and is not sweetened. If you live in a non-tropical climate and see "fresh" coconuts in your local grocery store, it's a good bet that they have already started to mold as fresh coconuts have a very short shelf life. They start molding within a couple of days. Some coconuts that are imported to the U.S. are apparently irradiated to prevent them from spoiling.

The recipe below is a simple recipe anyone living in a non-tropical climate can make with a high speed blender and a top quality organic dried coconut. It takes about 10 minutes (or less) and we demonstrate just how easy it is to make your own fresh coconut milk in the video. If you do not use the coconut milk right after you make it, keep it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.

Homemade Coconut Milk

Preparation time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1. In a medium-size kettle, heat the water, but do not bring it to a boil.
  2. Place the coconut in a blender and add 1 cup of the hot water.
  3. Blend for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Place a colander in a bowl and line the colander with 4 thicknesses of cheesecloth.
  5. Pour the blended coconut mixture into the cheesecloth and twist to extract the milk, letting the milk go into the bowl.
  6. Return the coconut pulp to the blender and add the remaining 1/2 cup of hot water.
  7. Blend for 1-2 minutes, strain and press through the cheesecloth into the bowl.

Makes about 1 cup

If you have a strong blender (vitamix) can you omit the straining?
# Posted By Tammy | 8/3/09 5:04 AM
No! *bellows* I have a vitamix and no matter how strong the blender you still must strain the milk. If you don't you'll end up with a bunch of glop. :)
# Posted By Sarah | 8/3/09 10:22 AM
I'll be making some of this and putting it in the freezer in ice trays to use for fruit smoothies. I'm not a big coconut fan, but this could be added to anything... :) just about.
# Posted By Miss Rachel | 10/23/09 6:06 PM
Why not just add coconut concentrate with a little water to substitute the dried flaked coconut and eleminate the straining altogether? Would that work?
# Posted By Jane | 11/16/09 8:35 AM
You can mix about 1 teaspoon of CCC to 6-8 oz of water to make coconut cream milk. This can be a substitute for coconut milk but it's not the same (gritty because of the fiber). If you want to do that just mix the two ingredients together. That's all there is to it. If you want a true coconut milk though you have to follow the above recipe exactly. Sorry, but it can't be changed.
# Posted By Sarah | 11/16/09 11:38 AM
This looks fantastic and sounds wonderful. I can't wait to try it soon. Although I am a relatively new reader, and not such a good cook, I enjoy this site very much. Thank you for the recipe.
# Posted By cookeaze | 12/13/09 6:06 AM
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I wouldn't know what to do with a fresh coconut! The coconut milk in the video looks really creamy and delicious.
# Posted By Simi | 12/14/09 7:42 PM
Instead of making homemade coconut milk, could I use the coconut milk I've found at the health food store that is unsweetened and packaged like reg milk?
# Posted By Miss Bev | 1/3/10 8:35 AM
I made this with a fresh coconut and it was really, really good. My kids loved it too. I also made it with the dried cocount and it was very good but fresh, even better and I got 1 quart of milk from 1 cocount.
# Posted By Teri | 2/2/10 5:04 PM
does this make the equivalent of full fat canned coconut milk? I am trying to make "ice cream" and can't eat guar gum, which is in all canned coconut milk.
# Posted By marisa | 2/17/10 3:30 PM
Marisa: Yes, it does.
# Posted By Sarah | 2/18/10 2:26 PM
Can you use CCC to replace milk for a baby? My grand daughter is allergic to milk and I'm worried about her drinking nothing but soy milk. Any ideas of how I can use CCC as a baby formula?

Thanks!
# Posted By Barbie | 2/25/10 1:35 PM
Can you use 7/8 cup coconut flakes rather than shredded coconut?
# Posted By Sheri | 3/25/10 4:51 AM
The measurements would be totally different as the flakes are a different shape and would fill a cup less then shredded would. I would either grind the flakes until they're finer like the shredded or double the amount of coconut, at least. I'm really not sure how much flakes would equal the shredded though, but you can experiment and see what works for you.
# Posted By Sarah | 3/25/10 6:24 PM
Can you do one blending with the coconut and water? I have a Vitamix and have never blended the pulp again. However, I blend it for 2 minutes on full high. The pulp is like flour. I dry it and use it in my granola. Why blend it twice?
# Posted By Ruth Ann | 6/2/10 10:26 PM
You blend it twice to extract all the milk so that you have a "regular" coconut milk. The first blending and straining is more like the "cream of coconut" sold in stores. The second time you blend and squeeze gives you the regular coconut milk.
# Posted By Sarah | 6/3/10 12:44 PM
Can you make this ahead of time and store in fridge, if so, how long will it keep? A week?
# Posted By Jackie | 6/15/10 12:21 AM
I tried this recipe, and it is the bomb...I buy dried coconut, from the bulk section of my grocery store, and following this recipes, have creamy coconut milk for days...I use my blender: no additives, no sugar; I strain it. I usually make enough for three days at a time, and freeze the pulp..if anyone knows any recipes, besides coconut shrimp, to use the pulp with, I would appreciate it. This is a good version, though for coconut mild...
# Posted By Ernestine | 7/15/10 2:46 PM
i understand that using CCC produces a grittier end result; is this also true if using coconut flour?
just curious! thanks!
# Posted By Taza | 7/19/10 3:36 PM
Er, coconut flour would be even worse. It's basically pure fiber. The fat and water content that makes the CCC creamy has been totally removed from the coconut flour. Therefore it won't even give you a milk. Just stick with making it as the recipe says or the CCC milk if you're in a pinch for time. :)
# Posted By Sarah | 7/19/10 11:32 PM
had a feeling this was the case. thanks so much for answering!
# Posted By Taza | 7/20/10 9:47 AM
I have been making coconut milk since I first saw the video which has been about 2 mo. and I just love it. Love it on cereal no more milk after taste. I am going to make a Chia Tapicoa pudding today with it and see how that is. My question is: Is there anything I can use the pulp for after I am finished making the milk?
I am looking forward to watching & trying your other videos and recepies.
# Posted By Renita | 7/21/10 1:16 PM
Glad you like the recipe Renita!

If you have dogs, cats, horses, etc., any pet that will eat coconut, give it to them or make pet treats by mixing the coconut with a bit of coconut oil and shaping freezing until hard. You can also use it for granola, cookie add-ins, and things like that. Do some experimenting.
# Posted By Sarah | 7/21/10 3:59 PM
I'm no expert, but it looks as if the pulp left is similar to coconut flour. I won't try using it by itself like coconut flour, but why not use it as an additive in breads, cereals and such?
# Posted By Ev | 8/14/10 6:35 PM
Hi Sarah,
Thank you for this recipe. When I've tried making coconut milk from dry shredded coconut, the oil in the milk solidifies as soon as I put it into the refrigerator. I guess I can reheat it with use, but would it go bad if I just left it out at room temp?
# Posted By Steph | 8/22/10 12:10 PM
Steph: Yes, the coconut milk will go bad fast if left at room temperature since it contains no preservatives. Even in the refrigerator I don't recommend keeping it for longer then 2 days.
# Posted By Sarah | 8/23/10 10:34 AM
I've been making coconut milk kefir (using kefir culture) for about 7 months & love it! I've been using canned coconut milk - & did try making it with coconut flour - this looks like a great option! Kefir cultures in ~ 24 hours at room temperature, & is higher in probiotics than yogurt - & is yummy besides! I'll have to experiement :)
# Posted By Nadya | 8/31/10 4:16 PM
Nadya, coconut milk kefir sounds wonderful. Do you have a source for kefir cultures and directions?
# Posted By Toni | 9/9/10 12:20 PM
I'd love to make it with kefir also. Have yet to make any coconut milk, does a nut milk bag work as well as cheesecloth? And what are the nutritional benefits to this milk? I understand it's super fatty. thanks! love this site
# Posted By nourishthespirit | 9/21/10 2:23 AM
This is a good recipe, but I use less water, because I think the coconut milk is a bit runny. I basically just use 1 cup of shredded raw coconut to 1 cup of warm water (not over 110 degrees, to preserve the enzymes). I only process it once. Turns out pretty well too.
# Posted By Sam | 9/29/10 7:40 PM
I love the coconut milk coffee creamer that you can buy prepackaged at the store, but I can't seem to get the sweetness right when I try to make it from scratch with coconut milk like this. Any suggestions for proportions? Thanks!
# Posted By Alison | 10/2/10 7:28 AM
Is there such thing as a coconut milk pressing gadget that can be used to avoid hot fingers when pressing the milk out of the hot shredded coconut? I make one quart of coconut milk per day, so I'm not looking for anything large or expensive.
# Posted By Eve | 10/5/10 10:59 PM
Ernestine: Make macaroons! There is a recipe on this site for them, calling for shredded coconut-- I use the pulp left over from milk making. Works great!
# Posted By Thia | 10/10/10 9:23 AM
Eve, I saw your question and what I do is use a potato ricer, it's not perfect but works pretty good. It can be a little messier because of all the changing you have to do because of the amount you can put into it, but sure beats burning the hands.
It would be nice if someone would come up with a press of some sort better then the potato ricer to do the squeezing with.
# Posted By Renita | 10/10/10 7:16 PM
If 1 gallon of shredded coconut weighs 3.5 pounds, then 1 cup of shredded coconut weighs 3.5 oz, and 7/8 cup weighs approximately 3 oz.

If 1 gallon of coconut flakes or chips weighs 2 pounds, then 1 cup of flakes or chips weighs 2 oz, and 7/8 cup weighs approximately 1.75 oz.

To make this recipe with coconut flakes or coconut chips, either measure 3 oz with a kithcen scale, or measure out 1.5 cups.
# Posted By Laura | 10/17/10 12:35 PM
I love the coconut cream concentrate! I found the preperation for it messy and hard on my hands. The heavier stuff was packed on the bottom and was hard to mix in.
I put the jar upside down in my dehydrator (any warm place would do) until melted. When you turn the jar over and open it you can more easily stir it all together
# Posted By Kim | 12/18/10 11:40 AM
I had the best curry the other day and decided that if I could make it myself I could get more vegetables in us. I made my own coconut milk and made a pretty yummy version of curry.
My curry loving man even said it's a keeper
Kim
# Posted By Kim | 12/18/10 12:04 PM
First, let me say...I love the homemade coconut recipe...second, if I drink about a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening...I do not have hot flashes at night...for real...coconut is good to "help" regulate the thyroid...the only thing I am stumped about, is what to do with all the used coconut pulp, besides making coconut bars...I have a lot in my freezer...any ideas?
# Posted By Ernestine | 12/22/10 8:24 PM
Ernestine: Try using it as you would normally (baked goods, granola, etc.). It's also a great treat for pets (dogs, cats, horses, so on).
# Posted By Sarah:) | 12/22/10 10:23 PM
I was thrilled to find this site and know others are making homemade coconut milk. I use it to make kefir with Body Ecology Kefir starter and it's delicious! And it produces an inch of delicious cultured cream at the top! My question is, can anyone tell me what the nutrient value of the pulp is? I dry it in the oven as the kefir is culturing at 75 degrees. Is it primarily carbohydrate? Is there any nutrition left in it?
# Posted By Georgell | 1/18/11 7:02 PM
I just made (2) batches of the coconut milk and I am so happy with the results. I had been buying a coconut coffee creamer, it was good but had more ingredients than I wanted. I have been a customer for a little while and I couldn't be happier with your products. They are the best. Thank you for all the care you take to produce each item and sharing your recipes. Thank you again for not taking short cuts and providing the best possible coconut products.
# Posted By Georgianna Kiker | 1/20/11 7:12 PM
The recipe sounds wonderful. Can't wait to try it. I have a question about the cheesecloth. Cheesecloths that I ever used could only be used once as the food particles were too difficult to remove. Do you have a certain kind of cheesecloth that you use that can be reused?
# Posted By Laura | 1/28/11 1:41 PM
@ Ernestine... Can you post that recipe for coconut bars? sounds delicious!! Thanks, Cheryl :)
# Posted By Cheryl | 2/3/11 2:59 PM
I have pressed it through a fine strainer with good results, and i now have a gizmo that looks like a giant garlic press that I picked up at the Goodwill that works great! Cheesecloth sounded like a mess to me.
# Posted By Georgell | 2/6/11 10:54 PM
This is a fantastic recipe for those of use who can't tolerate guar gum, which is in practically everything processed. Now I can make Tom Yum Soup!! YAY, Thank you so much!! <3
# Posted By Tabetha | 2/9/11 10:13 AM
Sarah,

You said about the pulp: "Try using it as you would normally (baked goods, granola, etc.)"

Could you please elaborate?

I have made the milk twice already and I absolutely love it but I feel bad discarding the pulp as it tastes so good. I want to make some macaroons but they call for certain volume of shredded coconut (e.g., 5 cups or so). The pulp is very "compressed". How does it translate?

Thanks!
# Posted By Elina | 3/11/11 12:42 PM
Elina: Just fluff and dry the coconut pulp as use as any recipe directs. I don't recommend using it where the coconut is a main ingredient, like macaroons but just experiment with your favorite coconut recipes and see how it turns out. It may work in a macaroon recipe, I'm not sure. The results won't quite be the same though.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 3/12/11 11:01 AM
I use the pulp after making milk for macaroons, and it works wonderfully! I use this recipe:
# Posted By Thia | 3/12/11 4:16 PM
This is for Barbie re baby formula. Find a recipe for homemade baby formula and use the coconut milk as a substitute for whole milk. Soy milk & formula is very bad for babies and small children, bringing on early puberty and, in the case of my granddaughter, a diaper rash that ate off the skin! Recommend a goat milk formula or try the coconut.
# Posted By Polly | 3/18/11 7:40 AM
Several people have asked if you have to use cheesecloth to make coconut milk: I use a jelly bag, the same one you use to strain fruit for making jelly. It works great and you can reuse it as many times as you need to. It is even large enough to make a double batch of coconut milk. I got mine at Walmart and you get two to a package for around $5.
# Posted By Sandy | 4/23/11 8:31 AM
Hi!! I have quite a bit of organic coconut shreds on hand, and as a coconut-milk lover (I make mine with canned + water), I would love to make it purely by myself. Just wondering, what would the nutritional stats of this homemade version be?
# Posted By Steph | 4/29/11 10:47 PM
I was wondering if I could make coconut milk yogurt with the home made coconut milk. Will it spoil w/in the 24-48 hrs that has been mentioned here? Does the coconut kefir spoil as quickly as well?
# Posted By Brandy | 5/9/11 2:41 PM
Brandy: If the coconut milk is left out at room temperature it will definitely spoil very quickly. In the fridge however, it may last a little longer. We recommend using it up in the first 48 hours though just to be on the safe side. But keep and eye on it and see how it holds up. If it starts to look or smell "off", it's gone bad.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 5/9/11 4:17 PM
Brandy: I would think you could! I've made yogurt out of home made nutmilk using the same process (using a mixture of various raw nuts & coconut). I imagine it would last as long as any other home made yogurt. Can't say for sure; mine was gone after a few days. :)
# Posted By Thia | 5/9/11 9:05 PM
Just made this for the first time and was pleasantly surprised that I ended up with nearly 1/4 cup MORE than the 1 cup yield. Maybe it's because I used a bit more water than 1/2 c. on the 2nd blend, and I used a cloth bag, which I squeezed very hard.

It's probably just like a nut bag, but a lot cheaper (cheesecloth was about $4 so I wanted to try what I already had). It's used as a filter when making Puerto Rican coffee (a friend gave it to me, it is aka "coffee sock" a cone-shaped fabric sewn over metal ring, with wooden handle, found in Spanish-type stores).

Also, I used very hot water that had recently been boiled, but had no trouble squeezing it out because after blending, it had cooled down. Then I used all the pulp in a triple-batch recipe of banana bread, and it tasted great (barely can tell there's any coconut in it) Hope this helps somebody!
# Posted By gogococo | 5/25/11 7:08 PM
Hi, gogococo. Could you post your banana bread recipe?

Also, does anyone have an easy method for getting the pulp out of the cheesecloth? I always end up with a huge mess! Maybe the jelly bag is easier to empty/clean. I'll look for one.
# Posted By susan | 6/6/11 2:08 PM
BANANA BREAD RECIPE (with my changes in parenthesis)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream together:
1 C. SUGAR (3/4 c. organic brown sugar)
1/2 C. BUTTER (1/3 c. coconut/palm oil blend)
1 EGG
1 TSP SALT (about 1/2 tsp.)

Add 1 C. MASHED BANANA

Add 1 TSP SODA & 1/4 C. BUTTERMILK (coconut milk) ALTERNATELY WITH 1 3/4 C. FLOUR (part flax seed, ground, and add the leftover coconut, and walnuts if desired)

BAKE IN LOAF PAN ABOUT 40 MIN. (I make muffins instead which bake in about 20 min.) They are yummy but my husband detected the coconut texture which he didn't like, but could tolerate. I always double the recipe. Have fun and play with it if you'd like!
# Posted By gogococo | 6/6/11 8:59 PM
I made a double batch of the coconut milk the other night, and it turned out beautifully! It's too rich for me to drink regularly, but at least I know I will never need to buy canned stuff again to use in my baking!

One question though -- why is it necessary to use hot water? When I blend the water and coconut in my VitaMix, the pulp is steaming hot by the time I stop the blending (to the point where I need to put it all in the fridge for about 15 - 20 minutes to cool down). I don't know how anyone can be squeezing milk at that temp!
# Posted By Rosie | 7/7/11 2:17 PM
I've just started making my own yogurt (cow milk) . I see someone else has made kefir with this coconut milk. Does anyone have a recipe or tips for me to make yogurt with coconut milk?
# Posted By Amelia | 7/12/11 11:21 AM
@ Rosie...steaming hot...
I use cool water, and it works fine in my Vitamix. The way this is...you're right, you cannot handle it, too hot.
I also put a few dates, and a pinch of pink sea salt in mine, as well as some pure vanilla powder. Then put it in the fridge. The next day I pour it into the Cuisinart Ice Cream maker and have vanilla coconut icecream...yummy. A frozen banana can be blended into the milk before putting into the ice cream maker and then you have banana vanilla coconut ice cream. So wonderful for summer or with other desserts in winter.
# Posted By Ruth Ann | 7/12/11 9:44 PM
I went to a paint store and bought the bags used for straining paint- the smaller size that is for a gallon paint can is wonderful- fine mesh, no coconut gets through- about $1.99!
# Posted By Janet | 7/25/11 6:03 PM
My daughter helped me make this tonight; I am so thankful for the recipe! My 8-month old baby has been very sick and we needed to switch her formula. We usually use the Nourishing Tradtions Raw Milk Formula, but we just lost our raw milk supply. I made her a batch of formula with canned coconut milk, with the raw milk recipe as a guide, which she liked, but of course I'd prefer if she had this nourishing homemade version. I have just one question I was hoping you might be able to help with: the raw milk recipe calls for a base of 2 cups of milk and 1-7/8 cups water, along with several other ingredients. About how much homemade coconut milk would you suggest I use to parallel this, nutritionally?
# Posted By Jocie | 8/9/11 12:03 AM
Hi Everyone,
I was reading through everyone's comments and the one that seemed to be repeated was how to "squeeze" the milk out, without burning yourself. I haven't made coconut milk yet but, I do make soy milk alot and the process of using a bag and squeezing the milk out would be the same. Suggestion: I have a hand held potatoe masher that I use against the bag. Works great for me!
# Posted By Fern | 8/11/11 12:43 PM
My daughter found what I figured was the easiest method of squeezing the most milk out without burning her fingers: after she gathers the pulp into a "ball" in the cheesecloth (actually, we use linen/cloth napkins- easy to clean and reuse), she would blow onto the ball, then twist and squeeze. Cooling the outside surface was enough for an effective squeeze, then blow again. Good for lung exercise, too! Anyone have any thoughts on my baby formula question above?
# Posted By Jocie | 8/11/11 3:00 PM
This morning I was thinking about what I had posted yesterday afternoon and I have another suggestion for you if you don't have a potatoe masher to use to squeeze the milk out of your bag or what ever else you put your pulp in. Any thing sturdy that won't bend when you put some pressure to it should do the job. Ex: a stainless steel soup ladle, perhaps even a drinking glass (although that may not be as easy to hold on to since most don't have a handle). Hope this helps! Fern
# Posted By Fern | 8/12/11 1:54 PM
I put the coconut through my Omega single auger juicer after soaking it in hot water and it works beautifully for extracting the milk.

One word of caution, though. Please make sure your coconut is not rancid. I used some that I had in the cupboard for several months. It did not taste good like the newer coconut that I had and my daughter got sick from it and threw up about 1/2 hour after drinking it. However, the newer coconut tasted so yummy! So much better than the store bought cans I have been using for years. Linda
# Posted By Linda | 8/17/11 9:47 PM
I used to make "Barley Formula" for my son when he was little, once I stopped nursing him and he really thrived on that! I made it with goat's milk, but coconut milk would probably be great. I would have to find the recipe, as it was 30 years ago. But I will look and post it if I do find it. The Barley formula was very nutritious and he loved it. He went from being a scrawny, little baby to a happy, healthy one. And I would never use soy, especially for babies! It could mess up their hormonal balance and it does not create viable protein, especially for babies.

I hope this helps and I will look for that formula and post it. Maxine
# Posted By Maxine | 9/16/11 1:20 AM
To all those asking about baby formulas: I would first compare nutritional analysis of baby formulas with coconut milk . Just because coconut milk is white and liquid doesn't mean it will provide the nourishment a baby needs. I may be wrong about this -- but it seems like a good thing to check out first before making substitutions. For example, to my knowledge, coconut milk is not a great source of calcium (a mineral found in cow and goat milk). Look into this first.
# Posted By Kathleen | 11/27/11 8:16 PM
I would suggest comparing it to the nutrient content of mother's milk (human) rather than cow, goat or any other animal. There is no established human need for dairy products that I know of, and for many it can be harmful. After all, in this case a coconut formula is being used as a substitute for mother's milk, so I would try to more closely replicate that rather than a non-human animal product that is already being used as a substitute. Despite all the advertising by the dairy board that we "need" the calcium from cow's milk, the calcium/magnesium ratio needed by calves is not necessarily what a human baby really needs to keep the electrolytes in balance, or to build healthy human bone. - Just another among many reasons to try to duplicate mother's milk rather than cow's or even goat's.
# Posted By Christine | 11/29/11 12:18 PM
Thanks for all the posts everyone. I just found this website as I am looking for a source of coconut milk not canned. So iam really excited to have all this info on making my own.
# Posted By Shirley | 12/11/11 10:25 AM
Well I made it and it is delicious! Thank you!
# Posted By Shirley | 12/11/11 8:07 PM
Can one double or triple the coconut milk receipe?
# Posted By victor | 12/22/11 10:15 AM
Can this be made in a double batch? I realize it doesn't keep very long, but making 1 cup at a time is not enjoyable.
# Posted By Wendy | 12/22/11 10:31 AM
Victor and Wendy: Yes and yes.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 12/22/11 12:10 PM
I take the pulp and add about 3 mashed bananas then spread it out on a dehydrator sheet and make "banana flatbread" out of it. Super yummy!
# Posted By Shaina | 2/9/12 11:49 AM
If you're using this for baby formula, I would think it would be extremely important to make sure the protein content is equivalent to that of human milk. The medium chain triglycerides and lauric acid content of coconut is excellent, but don't shortchange the baby on protein!
# Posted By Mary C | 2/27/12 1:05 PM
I have a group of people who want me to make coconut milk for them through our local online farmer's market. If I can pull this off I could make a little extra money. But I really need this stuff to stay "good" for a bit longer. Will it last 4 or 5 days in the fridg? I see most references say use it within two days. That seems rather fast. I am going to do my own experiments, but want feedback from the group.

If I remove the "cream" will it last longer? I removed the cream to make a "beverage". I made some last night and it was amazing, I just added a generous splash of organic pineapple juice and WOW! I couldn't control myself and gluged down the whole jar full.

Anybody else here have recipes for making coconut milk beverages?
# Posted By valerie | 3/1/12 10:39 AM
Removing the "cream" will only be a waste, since that's pretty much all your coconut right there, the rest is just barely flavored water.

When you refrigerate this, the denser cream will separate and harden from the water, which is a pain if you're making a large batch. You could add a thickener like the canned variety, which is usually guar gum which will help with that, but as far as how long it will last, 4-5 days would be pushing it. It might not be spoiled yet but it won't be fresh anymore. You could experiment with freezing it, but not having done that myself I have no idea whether the texture would remain the same once defrosted.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 3/1/12 12:01 PM
I would like more recipes to use up the pulp after making coconut milk.
# Posted By Helen | 3/9/12 12:10 PM
This recipe for coconut milk freezes well. Just give it a good shake when it is thawed. It will still separate once thawed, and not last more than two days at the most. The sooner you use it, the better.
# Posted By Kathleen | 3/9/12 1:49 PM
Here's a great recipe for using coconut pulp, the stuff left over after making coconut milk.

Coconut Pancakes

1 1/2 cups coconut pulp (squeezed dry, but still moist)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons coconut oil
3/4 cup to 1 cup coconut milk (the amount of milk you use will depend on how dry your coconut was squeezed out when you made milk)

Mix all dry ingredients.

Mix all wet ingredients.

Blend wet and dry ingredients together. Do no over-stir. Add more coconut milk if needed to get a pancake batter consistency. Blend just until dry flour is no longer visible.It should drop easily from a spoon.

Heat and oil a griddle. Spoon batter onto griddle, turning when underside is brown and cook other side.

Note: I freeze left-over coconut pulp in zip-lock bags, each bag containing 1 1/2 cups coconut pulp. Take it out of the freezer the night before and let it thaw in the fridge for pancakes the next morning.

Serve with fresh fruit, honey, or agave syrup.
# Posted By Kathleen | 3/14/12 3:47 PM
Valerie,

I sell coconut milk at our local market. I pour it into 1/2 pint and 1 pint plastic jars, and freeze it immediately. I take it to the market in a cooler with blue ice and sell it frozen, telling the buyers to use it within two days after thawing it. Coconut milk spoils easily, and that is why I sell it frozen. If I sold it just chilled, but not frozen, it would already have lost one day of its two-day freshness window (if made the day before the market).
It will separate -- that is natural, as we don't use a stabilizer. Just tell your customers to give it a good shake before using it. None of my customers objects to its being frozen, and none objects to the separation.
# Posted By Kathleen | 3/14/12 3:54 PM
Kathleen, Fantastic suggestion about freezing. I have been thinking I would do that too. But once the coconut milk has seperated out it will not reconsititute no matter how hard I shake it. That part stumped me.
# Posted By valerie | 3/15/12 1:23 PM
I made a double batch of coconut milk today and experienced using the pulp leftover instead of coconut flour. The bread is delicious! Here is the recipe
6 eggs, from pastured chickens
1/2 cup ofGhee or milted butter
2 tablespoons of honey or coconut crystals. I used the crystals.
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup of coconut flour or pulp from a double batch of coconut milk.

Whisk all the ingredients together and pour into well-greased loaf pan and bake for 40min at 350 degree oven. As soon as it is finished baking, turn out onto a rack and let finish cooling.
# Posted By Helen | 3/15/12 4:16 PM
Thanks for the pancake recipe, Kathleen. Do you know if it will work without the wheat flour, or if not what will work in its stead?

Thanks!
# Posted By Mary C | 3/15/12 6:10 PM
I use a french coffee press for separating the liquid from the pulp. works like a dream and cleanup is as simple as a rinse!
# Posted By Helen | 3/21/12 6:03 PM
That's brilliant, Helen!
# Posted By Mary C | 3/22/12 12:36 AM
I think it's brilliant, too, Helen!! I'm going to give my french press a go, today!
# Posted By Thia | 3/22/12 7:21 AM
Mary,
I have only made the pancakes with whole wheat flour, but I would guess this would work with other flours, if you didn't mind a different texture. Maybe with oat flour?
# Posted By Kathleen | 4/11/12 12:22 PM
I have a chinois (an extremely fine-meshed sieve) that I use to strain my soup stocks to end up with a very smooth-textured stock. I use a wooden cone with a handle to push any liquid remaining in the solids that have collected in the bottom of the chinois. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this might work for "squeezing" the coconut milk out of the pulp?
# Posted By Stacy | 4/28/12 8:37 PM
Stacy: I've seen a video where someone used one of those for making coconut milk, so it *will* work. I personally thought it looked like a lot of hassle. But it may be fine, to you, given you are used to using it. :-)

All: I tried the french press method, mentioned above, and found I ended up with far less milk than I normally do. I ended up putting those remains into my nutmilk bag (what I normally use) to get the rest of the milk out.

I've also tried an auger juicer (*not* a centrifigal one) and decided the cleanup wasnt worth it. The end result was the same as a nutmilk bag for quantity, but more cleanup.

I've also tried a potato ricer (not sure right now if that was mentioned above, or on another site) and found that to take strength I do not have.

For me, the nut milk bag works best, hands down. I have not tried the cheesecloth & colander set up, as I already had the nut milk bag. I tried the other methods because I was hopeful for a method that would keep my hands out of the milk, but have decided that mess is less trouble than any of the other methods I've tried. :-)
# Posted By Thia | 4/29/12 12:00 PM
Thanks, Thia! I'll be sure to post my opinion on the ease (or not) of using the chinois once I give it a try.
# Posted By Stacy | 4/29/12 2:44 PM
To make coconut milk I use my vitamix blender to blend up the coconut with water and then I use my masticating juicer to remove the pulp and end up with as much milk as possible. I live near the tropics so I've mostly used fresh coconut but I'm moving so I may try using dried coconut.
# Posted By Rachel | 5/7/12 12:29 AM
I was wondering. The writing above the recipe says refrigerate for up to 23hrs, but can it be frozen for an extended period of time?

Thanks Lee x
# Posted By Lee | 6/19/12 9:27 PM
To keep the coconut milk good a little longer, why not try colloidial silver (or even a real silver coin, if you can find one). I read that before refrigeration, people put a silver coin in regular milk to keep it from going bad and colloidial silver is used to kill bacteria in all kinds of situations.
# Posted By Colleen | 7/16/12 6:18 PM
I'm looking for a better description of "hot" for the water temperature. Hot could be anywhere between 110 and 210 if it is below boiling. Is there a temperature range that works the best in getting maximum extraction while reducing the impact of heat on nutrition (or are the flakes already heated to the point of enzyme destruction through their production?)?
# Posted By Jaye | 8/13/12 4:21 PM
To avoid the hand-burning issue, I just boil all the water I'm going to need for the whole process; then I put the coconut and the first round of boiling water in my blender jar and let it soak for about 1/2 hour until it is warm, but not too hot to touch. Then blend as usual. For the second cycle I use some leftover boiled water, which is still warm.
# Posted By Erika | 10/2/12 8:41 AM
Hey - can we make coconut butter out of the leftover pulp?
# Posted By Melisa | 10/16/12 10:37 AM
No, all the oil and moisture has been stripped so it'll just be a very dry powder.
# Posted By Sarah | 10/16/12 9:41 PM
@ Laura. I have purchased "nut bag" and I use it with good results. You can squeeze it but I usually just hang it down from my cupboard and let it do it's own thing until it cool enough to be handled and squeezed.
# Posted By Kamila | 10/22/12 3:24 PM
My question is this: if I use a much smaller amount of hot water and let the shredded dried coconut sit for a few minute and then mix it in my blender/food processor will it become coconut butter? We love the coconut butter but we don't love the price (out of our budget right now) and I have 2 gallon buckets of coconut shreds. I have seen several paleo sites that tell you to put your shredded coconut in the vitamix and let it run by itself for 10-15 min and it makes the coconut butter, albeit not quite as smooth as the TT brand, but when I try I get coconut "powder".
# Posted By Sheree | 11/8/12 10:43 PM
Sheree: Are you using a high-powered blender? You can add a small amount of liquid coconut oil, and keep blending...but do *not* add water, if you want coconut butter.
# Posted By Thia | 11/9/12 12:26 PM
I tried the 1 tsp of Coconut Cream to 8 oz of water recipe that TT suggests and it is way too thin. I think it requires much much more coconut cream than that. Also, if you are drinking it hot, say in a coffee drink then it will be totally smooth without any blending at all. Of course, as it cools it will start to get thick. I'm still trying to figure out how much CC to add to water to make a milk.
# Posted By Cindy | 1/1/13 1:17 AM
Just out of curiosity if you don't have cheesecloth can you use a French Press and achieve the same result?
# Posted By Doug | 1/3/13 4:39 PM
This is my recipe for coconut flour brownies. It is made entirely with coconut flour, coconut oil and coconut crystals. The secret to making the brownies light and fluffy is in separating the eggs, beating the egg whites and then folding them into the batter.

If someone can tell me how to substitute the coconut pulp for the flour in this recipe, I'd be thrilled to have it.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Place bowl with the egg beater blades and 6 egg whites in the freezer while assembling ingredients.

Ingredients:
6 eggs –separated into separate bowls for yolks and whites;
1/3 cup (75g) coconut oil, barely melted to liquid state (it is soft solid at room temperature)
1 cup (160g) coconut crystals
½ teaspoon vanilla

Sifted together to remove lumps:
½ cup coconut flour
½ cup cocoa powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon baking powder

Directions:
•   Turn on oven to 325 degrees
•   Lightly grease 9-in square non-stick baking pan;
•   Separate eggs placing yolks into 8 cup glass mixing bowl and whites into 4 cup glass mixing bowl
(I place whites in 4 cup pyrex bowl);
•   Place egg whites in freezer with beater blades to cool slightly while making batter.
•   Lightly melt 1/3 cup coconut oil in microwave for about 10-20 seconds, set aside to cool;
•   Measure out dry ingredients bowl: flour, cocoa, salt, soda, powder, stir with fork
•   Pour into sifter and sift together to eliminate lumps;
•   Take whites and beater blades out of freezer, beat whites until stiff peaks form;
•   Using same beaters, beat egg yolks thoroughly;
•   Add vanilla and oil and beat again; add coconut crystals and beat thoroughly;
•   Beat in dry ingredients until combined; batter will be thick;
•   Fold in egg whites thoroughly; keep folding until batter is thoroughly dispersed through whites; whites will still show through batter;
•   Pour into baking pan and bake for 30-35 min until knife has no crumbs but isn’t dry;
•   Remove and cool; re-heat and smoother with either more coconut oil or whipped cream or ice cream;
# Posted By ML | 1/16/13 5:15 PM
My life is so hectic can I freeze the milk? Will it taste good
# Posted By kai | 1/17/13 8:22 AM
I cook oat groats overnight in my crock pot in store bought coconut milk. Would the nutritional value of using freshly made coconut milk be lost in prolong heat exposure of a crock pot?
# Posted By Lorraine | 1/27/13 8:41 AM
Doesn't the heat destroy the nutrients? Can you use warm water instead?
# Posted By Colleen | 2/5/13 10:42 PM
Just out of curiosity...what is the purpose of using hot/boiling water? I just like to know these kind of things ;)
# Posted By Laura | 4/3/13 5:14 PM
For smaller quantities of coconut milk that is needed in some of the recipes; is there anyway I could make coconut milk from the Coconut Concentrate that I purchased from Tropical Traditions? I am a one person home now since my husband of 39 years passed away in March and I am going to continue to cook more healthy as I was learning for the both of us, but will continue for me alone. I just need help (alot) of help.... lol... Thank you, Joanne
# Posted By Joanne | 5/23/13 2:57 PM
I don't have a blender. Can I use a food processor?
# Posted By Bonnie | 5/24/13 7:59 PM
I made this today with organic, unsweetened coconut flakes and it had a very strong aftertaste. I made it 2x just to make sure I was doing it correctly. Even after mixing with caco and stevia we still had the aftertaste. I've never had homemade coconut milk before so I'm not sure if it is "normal" or if it was the coconut I was using. The recipe is easy, though. :)
# Posted By Sharon C | 6/3/13 2:12 PM
Does anyknow if you can make your own Coconut Cream concentrate from the dried flakes????
# Posted By Marianne | 6/13/13 7:54 AM
Is there a way to make finely shredded coconut into coconut milk? I tried it and it was not successful. I didn't heat the water, though. I make other nut and seed milks all the time, I had finely shredded coconut and thought I would try my hand at my own coconut milk. It was a total failure.
# Posted By Jayne | 7/5/13 4:29 PM
Jayne - If you actually follow the recipe (which uses finely shredded coconut) and heat the water, it will make coconut milk as the video shows. The shreds are dry so cold water will not soften the product properly and release the fat.
# Posted By Sarah S. | 7/7/13 1:34 AM
How would I determine the calories? If I search for 2 cups of coconut milk I get 1006 cal, but if I just count 1 cup of shredded coconut (ends up being about 3oz, which is what I use to make 2 cups of coconut milk) it's only 321 cal, based on what the bag says. TIA for the feedback!
# Posted By Jessica | 8/4/13 9:32 AM
I've never counted calories, but if you must, go with the lower one! Bottoms up! Cheers!
# Posted By gogococo | 8/5/13 3:04 PM
I'm using the coconut milk for my daughters food and since she is g-tube fed I have to count calories. Thanks for the feedback!
# Posted By Jessica | 8/6/13 6:41 PM
After a week, I've decided to go with the higher calorie content since her "output" was twice as much as she normally has. Just in case anyone was curious. :)
# Posted By Jessica | 8/10/13 12:26 PM
Thanks for letting us know; I'm sorry I had a flippant comment.... I've never counted calories so the potentially serious nature of your situation didn't occur to me. Wishing you the best.
# Posted By gogococo | 8/11/13 11:08 PM
Gogococo, no worries! I didn't take an offense. How could you have known?! Most people that ask (or worry) about calories are concerned for weight loss, so I understood your comment. Thanks for replying!
# Posted By Jessica | 8/13/13 7:29 PM
Is it possible to can coconut milk similar to hot pack canning? Coconut milk is hot, hot jar, hot lid, seal and cool.
# Posted By Kathleen S. | 8/16/13 6:08 AM
Just made the coconut milk for the first time and it came out great. Can anyone tell me the calories in 1 cup of this homemade coconut milk?
# Posted By Sue R | 9/12/13 11:32 AM
Hi Sara,

I know that coconut milk can be used for coconut ice cream but can we freeze coconut milk without losing its nutritional value?

Thanks,
M
# Posted By M | 10/2/13 12:40 PM
M - it should be fine, but what I'd worry about is the constancy and taste. That might change a little, but if you're going to be using it in recipes I wouldn't worry abou it.
# Posted By Sarah S. | 10/2/13 12:43 PM
Hi Sara,

That was SUCH a quick response!

Thanks so much!
M
# Posted By M | 10/2/13 12:46 PM
M,

Yes, you sure can. I have been using fresh coconut milk in my ice cream recipes for awhile now. One thing though. This is a small recipe.
# Posted By Mark G | 10/5/13 5:49 AM
Thanks Mark,

I will have to find a good recipe, as now, I am craving some coconut ice cream. : )

M
# Posted By M | 10/6/13 12:45 PM
Can any size dried organic coconut be used, rather than the shredded coconut? Why not use the larger flakes?
# Posted By Cheri | 10/14/13 3:16 PM
I've used flakes. You just have to estimate the amount used.

M
# Posted By M | 10/16/13 12:25 AM
I use a French Coffee Press to squeeze mine, however my press does not go all the way to bottom of pot so I double the recipe when I make it. Sure beats squashing hot coconut in cheese cloth.. If you don't own one and go to buy a French coffee press (20 $) test it by pressing the screen down to see screen goes all way to bottom.
# Posted By Melissa D | 10/19/13 7:33 PM
EXCELLENT IDEA, Melissa D!!! Thanks for sharing it!

: )
M
# Posted By M | 10/28/13 2:28 PM
When I buy So Coconut milk it has 2.5 carbs per cup- I would like to make this, but I have to watch my sugars, do you know how many carbs there would be in a cup of homemade coconut milk. Thanks
# Posted By kathy | 11/9/13 9:08 PM
No need to watch sugar. Don't use any. Coconut Milk has a natural sweetness on it's own so it doesn't have to be sweetened.
# Posted By Mark G | 11/11/13 9:03 AM
I do not want to add sugar, I need to know how many carbs are in the milk after you make it. I have high blood sugar and I need to track my carb intake
# Posted By kathy | 11/11/13 9:00 PM
Kathy, I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to calculate as it is home made. You may want to try searching the web to see what you find. I know this would be considered low carb but that's as much information as I can give you.
# Posted By Mark G | 11/14/13 1:31 AM
A 13 oz can has 3 g, 1'/, daily value, this is 1 1/2 cups . On the can of coconut milk I have here. Organic.
# Posted By Jeanne | 11/16/13 10:17 PM
I made this today with my vitamix for green curry; turned out great. These three things made this process less time consuming and less messy.
1. I used room temp water (no need to hear up water)
2. blended it on the highest setting of my vitamix for a few minutes until liquid was warm/hot
3. I poured it over a fine mesh colander and flattened the liquid with a silicon spatula to strain the liquid out. I moved the spatula around until I was only left with the grits.
# Posted By Essie | 4/8/14 10:37 PM
I am just wondering if coconut milk can be made blending water and coconut cream concentrate? Has anybody tried this?
# Posted By Cindy K | 4/9/14 3:37 PM
Cindy: a few teaspoons in a cup of water will work as a sub for coconut milk in a pinch but it's not the same thing (grainy and thin).
# Posted By Sarah S. | 4/10/14 4:56 PM
I have made my coconut milk with cold water and it worked great! I blend for about 5-6 minutes...much easier on my fingers when squeezing out the cheesecloth. It also brings the oil up quicker when I put in the fridge, to make my oil :-)
# Posted By Terri P | 4/17/14 8:33 PM
The coconut pulp makes an excellent body scrub.
# Posted By Vinod S | 4/29/14 3:50 PM
Good idea but doesn't that clog your drain?
# Posted By M | 4/30/14 2:45 PM
made my very first batch of homemade organic coconut milk and it was a complete success! will be making coconut ice cream later today...i'm SO happy! this is my favorite website :) thank you!
# Posted By Kathy | 5/3/14 3:15 PM
I use the fresh coconut meat from a coconut, after I take out the coconut water. It is easier to remove the meat if you freeze the coconut halves for 30 min. One coconut givesme about a quart of coconut milk. You will be amazed how much pulp you make. I have to remove some and do it in batched. If you pusle (vitamix too long, you will make coconut cream and pulsing even longer will get butter). Using fresh coconut meat. you then don't need hot water. I use distilled h2o...and a lot of it. One $1.50 coconut gives you a wonderful glass of fresh coconut water, a quart + of coconut milk, lots of coconut cream and butter if you want and leftover pulp (about a quart) you can dehydrate for baking, granola, recipes that call for left over pulp, facial scrub (add your organic wash to a bit in your palm and scrub in for a good facial cleaning, etc. A great value and yummy for everything.
# Posted By Sandara | 5/4/14 9:04 AM
I've given up buying whole coconuts. They're mouldy 9 times out of 10. I took them back to the grocery store for my money back, time and time again, hoping the grocers would eventually clean up their act and offer fresher coconuts but this just hasn't happened. That said, you're right, a dried whole coconut will give way richer and tastier milk than the shredded coconut. I may give Peapod a try and see if they will deliver a better coconut than what's available in the stores.
# Posted By Odile | 5/4/14 2:06 PM
Sandra: I'm curious...are you talking about a mature coconut (brown, hairy) or a young coconut (the type still surrounded in white husk, cut to a point on top.) ??
# Posted By Thia | 5/4/14 2:25 PM
I've read all the comments above. I, too, wonder if you can can the homemade milk. I didn't see an answer to that question. Does processing it in a Vitamix until steaming negate the nutritive value? Does freezing it in cubes also affect the value? Also, how long does the TT shredded coconut stay fresh? I've have some in my pantry, stored in a quasi-airtight plastic container, for over a year. It tastes ok and smells ok. I was excited to use it up as milk, but another poster said her shreds had gone bad and the milk made someone sick. What is their shelf life? Thx.
# Posted By Mitzi | 7/1/14 7:01 AM
Can I use the remaining pulp (after the straining) to make coconut butter or anything else? In order to avoid just discarding it.
# Posted By Majita | 7/3/14 11:29 AM
I dry the remaining pulp in the oven at a low temp. Stir every hour or so. Then I blend it to a finer powder and use it as flour in some of my recipes. Add it to almond flour, rice flour, etc.
# Posted By Carol | 7/6/14 10:08 PM
How long does the shredded coconut stay fresh?
# Posted By Mitzi | 7/10/14 7:19 AM
I, too, am seeking the nutritional value of this coconut milk. Anyone?????
# Posted By Kimberly | 7/20/14 9:10 AM