Gluten Free Strawberry Coconut Muffins recipe photo

Muffins:

Cream Cheese Topping:

• 1 cup homemade or store bought cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup chopped strawberries, fresh or frozen
  • 1 - 3 tablespoons raw honey

For the muffins:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a small bowl, combine coconut flour, salt and baking soda.

In a large bowl mix the eggs, honey, coconut oil and vanilla until well blended. Mix dry ingredients into the wet, blending with a hand mixer or by hand. Gently fold in strawberries.

Place batter in paper lined muffin tins OR oil small individual glass bowls and pour batter in about 1/2 - 3/4 full.

Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Take them out and let them cool and serve topped with Strawberry Cream Cheese.

Cream Cheese:

Place everything in a blender or food processor and blend till smooth. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. When muffins are ready, generously top each muffin and enjoy!

Recipe submitted by Marillyn, Bloomingdale, IL

hi! can i substitute butter for the coconut oil? or even use another oil instead?
# Posted By bana | 1/4/10 8:23 PM
Yes, you can but coconut oil is recommended. The muffins should turn out just fine with butter but if you have coconut oil on hand do give that a try. :)
# Posted By Sarah | 1/5/10 12:19 AM
Hello,
Should the coconut oil be in a liquid form or solid?
I keep mine in the fridge and it is hard and of a waxy consistency.
Thanks!
# Posted By Deb | 3/28/10 2:41 PM
Coconut doesn't need to be refrigerated. It can be stored at room temp.

For the recipe, I'd melt the oil. It'd make it easier to mix in and everything.
# Posted By Sarah | 3/29/10 12:46 AM
just made these! they taste really good, not too coconutty. i left out one egg (only used 5) and did use the coconut oil, melted and poured slowly into the egg mixture. they were a bit greasy. next time i will try leaving out a little of the oil or substituting 1/2 apple sauce (or greek yogurt) 1/2 coconut oil. they also puffed up nicely, so only fill cups to 2/3 full....had a couple lava issues with the ones over filled. all in all, great, simple recipe!
# Posted By candy | 6/11/10 8:35 AM
Delicious. For a second batch, I added some almond extract and sliced almonds for rave reviews.
# Posted By Debra | 7/28/10 7:12 PM
How long will they keep in the frige and freezer?
# Posted By Holly | 8/21/10 8:41 PM
Just made some of these yesterday. The strawberry cream cheese is delicious! It goes nicely with the berry filled muffins. Altogether, they were good!

I'm not sure how long these will freeze. They probably will only last a week or less.
# Posted By Angie | 2/26/11 11:56 AM
I mean that they will probably only last a week or less because I will eat them fast.
# Posted By Angie | 2/26/11 6:17 PM
Debra... how much almond extract and almonds did you add? And did you leave anything out from the original recipe? Sounds scrumptious!!
# Posted By Cari | 7/4/11 12:27 PM
A winner! These (w/o the topping) have become a breakfast staple in our house for months now (and for snacking at other times!) I now consistently make a double batch, twice weekly, storing them in the fridge. I use half as much honey as the recipe calls for, and add instead dextrose/glucose for the difference (low glycemic index), which makes them very low-sugar as well. I do this with virtually all recipes - in this case making healthy muffins healthier yet!
# Posted By Roger | 11/2/11 2:20 PM
Super delicious! Thanks for the recipe! :)
# Posted By Renee | 3/15/12 12:43 PM
I have made many bad coconut muffins but these were great! I felt the batter looked a little dry so I added 1/4 c coconut milk. The sauce was ok but isn't really needed because these muffins are great on their own. Seems to be a good base recipe to try with other fruits. Did turn out pretty sweet so I might try cutting back on the honey next time.
# Posted By Jaime | 5/7/12 11:22 AM
An update from a year ago - I no longer use dextrose, and just use the TT Canadian Honey, and make a quad batch (4 dozen) at least weekly. After trying other "cheaper" organic raw honeys, we finally are sticking with TT's - by far the best! Bought a 60# tub...and using it quickly! (we eat these plain, w/o the topping.)
# Posted By Roger | 10/8/12 11:53 AM
Just made these today, they were the best coconut flour baked good so far!! Very moist and fluffy, and weren't eggy at all. As Jaime suggested, I added 1/4 cup coconut milk, the batter looked runnier than what I am used to, but it came out great. So now I have an idea how loose the batter should be when making coconut flour muffins :). I baked it at 375 since I used a small air convection oven, for 25mins. I was surprised to see how they puffed up considering that no vinegar or baking powder was used. I also had these without the topping, and will def use this recipe as a base for my coconut flour muffins or cake (hmm carrot cake could work).
# Posted By Cat | 6/4/13 11:42 PM