• 2 cups organic flour*
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons coconut oil, solid
  • ¾ cup coconut milk (see below) or regular milk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

In a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder, and salt together. Cut in coconut oil and blend w/fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

With a fork, toss flour mixture while adding milk. Mix until a dough forms. Add more milk if needed. On a lightly floured surface, pat dough out until about ½ inch thick. Cut with floured biscuit cutter and place on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Delicious!

For coconut milk mix approximately 2 teaspoons coconut cream concentrate with ¾ cup water or make homemade coconut milk.

*For best results use 100% all purpose flour or half and half with whole wheat flour.

Recipe submitted by Nancy, Castle Rock, CO

These were good!! ... and easy! I will certainly make them again.
# Posted By Tammy | 2/16/09 6:27 AM
Did you use regular milk or the "coconut cream" milk? Or did you try both? If so, which did you prefer?
# Posted By Sarah | 2/18/09 12:38 AM
I used coconut cream milk. I also tried a variation where I added cinnamon into the mix (about a 2 teaspoons). It was great with honey on it. I also used a fine grinded whole wheat flour.
# Posted By Tammy | 2/18/09 8:29 AM
Does spelt flour give the same results?
# Posted By Suzanna | 3/3/10 10:28 AM
Do you know if coconut powder is the same as coconut flour?
# Posted By shirley | 4/20/10 3:27 PM
Coconut powder isn't the same as Tropical Traditions' coconut flour. It's usually more like dried coconut ground to a powder whereas said coconut flour is more fiber-like.
# Posted By Sarah | 4/20/10 4:27 PM
I added some brown sugar and some white choc chips to this and they are baking at the moment! will let you know how it goes:)
# Posted By Glenda | 6/15/10 6:38 AM
ok, so i found out that they need to be flattened when baking as they dont really flatten themselves. and i found cooking them at 450 degrees farenheit was too high. so i baked them at 350 and they are delicious! with a hint of coconut flavour:)
# Posted By Glenda | 6/15/10 6:54 AM
Glenda, I'm guessing you're of British extraction, because it sounds like you're trying to make what Americans would call "cookies". What Americans call "biscuits" is more like what British would call "scones".
# Posted By Kevin | 1/20/11 10:37 PM
I made these this morning with the flour I had on hand: 1/2 cup bread flour, 1/2 cup cake flour, and 1 cup whole wheat flour. And even had the same brand: Tropical traditions is my favorite coconut oil. They were great!!
# Posted By Sandra | 6/19/11 7:07 PM
I made these tonight, and they were yummy, but they didn't hold together (the kept crumbling apart). Used organic pastry flour (which I think is unbleached soft white wheat), plus all the other ingredients (including coconut milk). They were also a bit "dry" tasting. I wonder what I can do to correct these issues next time? Thanks!
# Posted By Lisa | 2/5/12 10:41 PM
Use more coconut oil (a couple tablespoons) and about 1/4 more coconut milk. The dough should be soft and very moist but not too sticky.

If you're using 100% whole wheat flour start with at least 1 cup of milk, give it a couple stirs, then add more if needed. Just don't overwork it or it'll become super tough.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 2/6/12 12:28 AM
Ok I'll try that. I will add more coconut milk and oil. I'm sure this will solve the dryness. I also think maybe I didn't work the dough enough. It was a knee-jerk reaction to hardly work the dough because last time I attempted to make homemade bisquits I overworked the dough and it came out like hard pucks. Also, I did use pastry flour. This flour could be responsible for the crumbly texture. Next time I'll try all purpose flour or half and half with that and whole wheat flour. Thanks!
# Posted By Lisa | 2/6/12 6:19 AM
I tried making another batch and made the necessary changes. The biscuits came out very good!
# Posted By Lisa | 2/6/12 6:54 PM
I just made these tonight. My children have to watch their cholesterol believe it or not and this coconut oil is supposedly much healthier than crisco shortening. We used fat free milk and white flour. We thought they were great! Wow we can have biscuits again..
# Posted By Joy | 3/26/12 7:26 PM
I substituted vegetable shortening for the cocnut oil and used 3/4 cup of "Lite" coconut milk. They came out super moist and delicious!
# Posted By Madeleing | 1/28/13 1:09 PM