Coconut Mayonnaise Coconut Mayonnaise spread on bread
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy, Photos by Jeremiah Shilhavy

Mayonnaise is very easy to make once you know what you're supposed to be doing. If you don't, then most likely you'll just end up with an oily mess. If you've never made mayonnaise before but want to, then read on. Even if you don't want to you should still read on. Homemade mayo tastes so much better than store bought, and it is much healthier because there are no trans-fats. In our video we use organic Virgin Coconut Oil, and organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Try finding a mayo like that in the stores!

The key to a successful batch of mayo is the oils. Actually, patience is the real key here. The adding-the-oils process can take up to five minutes, so be prepared. Your arm may get tired. Don't say I didn't warn you.

After placing the first six ingredients in the blender, blend it very briefly. All you want to do is mix the stuff together, so don't overdo it. Next, pour the two oils together into a liquid measuring cup with a spout and with the blender running on a low speed, start adding the oils into the blender in drops. Shall I emphasize that? Seriously, it needs to be drops. Tiny drops.

After about a minute or so, gradually start working the oils up to a stream. Again, a TINY stream. Like the size of a needle. And it needs to be steady. Not a stop-and-go type of stream. Just a tiny, steady, stream. Once you've worked up to a stream you can increase the blender speed to about medium. You be the judge.

When you've got only about 1/4 of a cup left you can increase the stream just a bit, but never, ever just dump the oil in. If you add the oils too quickly the mayo will turn into a curdled, oily mixture instead of whipping up into a thick, creamy spread. And it'll stay that way. You won't be able to save it.

You can use any type of mustard you like for this recipe. The classic is Dijon. Same thing for the pepper. Any type you like. White pepper is the one to go to if you don't want black specks in your mayo but go ahead with the black if you don't mind the looks so much.

So that's that! Making your own mayonnaise is really very easy. Just be patient with adding the oils and it'll turn out perfect. Be sure to watch the video for a step by step tutorial.

Have fun and fee free to drop me a line if you have any questions. :)

Sarah

Coconut Mayonnaise

Servings: 1 1/2 cups

Place the eggs, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into a food processor or blender. Blend briefly for a few seconds.

With the processor or blender running on low speed, start adding your oils very slowly. Start out with drops and then work up to about a 1/16-inch stream. This will take a few minutes.

Continue blending until all the oil is used up and there is no free standing oil.

Connection Failure

Very nice video, good job! I've been making our own mayo too and love experimenting. Last batch I increased the coconut oil to 2/3 cup with 1/3 cup olive oil... better taste though a bit thicker.
# Posted By Sandy | 1/19/10 9:28 AM
This sounds very good, but I would like to have the eggs cooked. Do you have any suggestions for this?
Thanks!
# Posted By Cheri | 1/21/10 8:23 AM
How long does this homemade mayonnaise keep in the refrigerator? I am not worried about the raw eggs, but wonder if the coconut oil provides preservative properties (as it is "antibacterial). Thanks!
# Posted By Peggy | 1/21/10 9:59 AM
Cheri: Well, the eggs really can't be cooked. If you're using a good, high powered blender the motor will heat up and somewhat "cook" the eggs (the mayo will be warm once it's done) but otherwise I'm really not sure how you can cook the eggs.

Peggy: About one week. It's gone bad once it smells "off". Be sure to use only clean utensils and keep it in a air-tight container.
# Posted By Sarah | 1/21/10 12:52 PM
I've made mayonnaise with coconut oil before, and it got so firm in the fridge that it wasn't scoopable. When I left it at room temperature long enough to scoop it out, it separated, and looked curdled. Does this mayonnaise not do that? I didn't use as many eggs, so maybe that helps? I'm pretty sure that I used some olive oil with the coconut oil, like recipe calls for. I'd love to hear your thoughts, since I'd like to be able to use coconut oil with the olive oil (I currently use avocado oil with the olive oil, and it's very expensive, but at least it's all healthy oils). Thanks.
# Posted By Christie | 1/23/10 4:10 PM
Christie: It could be that the mayonnaise had already gone bad, the eggs used were bad, the oil was added in too quickly during the blending/whipping process (that causes the eggs to curdle) or it wasn't blended long enough. It all depends. If you cut back on the egg amount but keep the same amount of oils, that can make it oily. This recipe will not solidify in the refrigerator. It will be fluffier and little more firm then at room temp, but it will still be the consistency of soft butter and creamy. Just follow the recipe exactly and you'll get nice results. :)
# Posted By Sarah | 1/23/10 4:21 PM
I just made this mayo and it turned out perfectly. I used pasteruized eggs (Davidsons), so no need to worry about cooking them. The only problem I can see is going to be "how to stay out of this"! It is absolutely delicious!
# Posted By Shonmarie | 2/1/10 8:01 AM
A small amount of Colloidal Silver would kill any harmful baterium or virus, just use a touch less lemon juice or apple cider vinegar depending of how u like your mayonaise. I would say that if you are using extra virgin coconut oil, u should be able to find a free range/organic egg product and i wouldn't worry about those as much as concentration camp eggs......
# Posted By devin | 2/16/10 2:24 PM
Has anyone tried using just 3 egg yolks instead? I prefer not to eat egg whites raw, as the white contains enzyme inhibitors until cooked; the raw egg yolks, however, if quality, are an excellent and safe nutrition source. I eat them in my smoothie every single morning.
# Posted By Megan | 3/29/10 5:12 PM
Has anyone tried making this w/o eggs or with egg replacer? My daughter is on a candida elimination diet and cannot have eggs... or vinegar... or a ton of other things, but she CAN have all the other ingredients - we'd use mustard powder instead of mustard.
# Posted By Linda | 4/11/10 4:33 PM
Megan, the egg white issue only presents a problem when eaten without the egg yolk. However, the mayonnaise made with just the yolk actually tastes better to me than when made with the whole egg. And I'm with you on the smoothies - eat them at least 3x a week and they're great!
# Posted By Shonmarie | 4/11/10 5:48 PM
Do you use the sweeter coconut oil, or the expeller pressed most often?
# Posted By Tikvah | 4/12/10 8:21 PM
I usually use the Gold Label coconut oil. But any kind of coconut oil will work.
# Posted By Sarah | 4/14/10 2:51 PM
am looking forward to making this and wondered about the mustard...yellow or dijon?
# Posted By nancy | 6/14/10 4:30 PM
oops, never mind, I reread the recipe and don't know how I missed the mustard section- my apologies.
# Posted By nancy | 6/14/10 4:45 PM
we just made our first batch and I don't even like mayo and this was de-lish. We're smoking mackerel tonight and wonder if you think this could be used instead of commercial mayo for smoked fish dip? We use lemon juice, cayenne pepper,and capers as well. Thanks for any input.
# Posted By nancy | 6/18/10 7:36 PM
Nancy: Glad you like it! Just use this like any other mayonnaise.
# Posted By Sarah | 6/19/10 6:56 PM
I have never made this before,looking forward to trying it!I am on a special diet and cannot have regular mayo,so thankyou very much for the free recipe.
# Posted By Gloria | 7/6/10 2:22 PM
Wow! This is the first time I've made mayonaise ... it was tasty, easy to use, and eaten up in no time!! Thanks!
# Posted By Pattie | 7/20/10 6:16 PM
Hmm. I just tried to make this, following all directions precisely. It looks curdled and runny. I triple-checked amounts. My mother used to make mayo and says I probably added the oil TOO slowly and had the blender on too low. Any thoughts for my next try?
# Posted By Jenny | 8/2/10 10:26 PM
Whey from yogurt is a natural preservative. In the Nurishing Traditions cookbook, the author says a tablespoon of whey will keep the mayonaise fresh for several months. Though i have to admit we always eat it before that time, so it hasn't been tested beyond a few weeks in my house. I just made the above recipe but increased coconut to 3/4 cup with 1/4 cup olive oil, and it is still yummy. Though I've acquired a taste for coconut oil. thanks for the healthy recipe, I feel really good about eating this.
# Posted By Christina | 8/7/10 11:06 AM
Is it true that whey protien acts as a preservative?I have a high quality whey protein isolate that is unflavored.I plan to try the recipe and if I like it I will want to make a larger batch. If yes how much should I use?
# Posted By Luis | 10/13/10 7:56 PM
You can't add protein powder to a mayonnaise recipe as it would ruin it. This recipe may keep up to a week in the fridge so you really don't have to worry about an additional preservative.
# Posted By Sarah | 10/13/10 8:27 PM
The egg white issue only presents a problem when eaten without the egg yolk. God knew what He was doing when He made the egg. (or the chicken) Also, I have put whey from raw milk or raw milk kefir or raw milk yogurt in my homemade mayo... it does keep a long time (months). We don't use that much mayo in a week, so they whey is an important ingredient for us. Also, it is important to add the oil slowly. OR... if you have a hand blender, you can put all the ingredients in. The eggs will sink to the bottom. At first, keep the hand blender at the bottom of the container. As the ingredients begin to emulsify and the eggs get blended you can start to raise the hand blender in the container to mix in the oils. You can see the mayo start to come together right before your eyes!
# Posted By tammy | 10/14/10 7:10 AM
The coconut mayonnaise is soooo good. I made it today, and must admit, I had a difficult time going slow enough - putting in a drop of oil at a time. But it turned out perfect, creamy and good enough to eat off the spoon. Also, thanks for the wonderful pictures. They make my mouth water just looking at them. Fantastic!
# Posted By LaDawn | 10/16/10 9:28 PM
I use 2 egg yolks 1/2 c. melted CO and 1/4 c. olive oil, 1 t. Dijon mustard, dash of paprika, dash of salt and 3 T. cider vinegar--love it. I also add the 1 T. of whey (drained through coffee filter from plain yogurt) and even though it sounds strange, finished mayo mixture with whey must sit out (covered) at room temp 7 hours and then refrigerate. It works. The whey takes care of any bad pathogens.
I prefer using a food processor--the pusher has a tiny hole in bottom which is just right for dribbling in the oil as machine is running. And w/processor it is much easier to get all the mayo out when it is done.
# Posted By Mari | 11/8/10 5:06 PM
I am sensitive to mustard.
Is there a substitute?
Or can I just leave it out.
I usually put stevia for a little sweetner Will that work?
# Posted By James F | 11/26/10 3:33 PM
James: Mustard is just part of the flavor, you can leave it out. No sweetener is needed. Let me know how you like the recipe if you try it!
# Posted By Sarah:) | 11/26/10 7:01 PM
Just made it using the recipe but with powdered mustard which makes it just a little spicy. Like it but next time I think I'll use peanut oil instead of the olive oil.
# Posted By John | 1/9/11 1:44 PM
Great recipe! I just made it today - WHOOHOO!!!
# Posted By Tonya | 3/25/11 9:55 PM
side benefit!!!!! This leaves you with two egg whites with nothing to do......make macaroons!!! Yum!
# Posted By Sherry Morris | 3/29/11 5:43 PM
You could also add whey to the mayo at the end. Whey will make it a lacto-fermented product because it adds good bacteria. It acts like a preservative. If the mayo has whey in it, it will keep at least a month, if not longer in the fridge.

Also, regarding the eggs, I would make sure you only use fresh, pastured eggs from a farmer you know. I would not recommend using commercial eggs, as there is too much risk of contamination. I'd even be wary of the organic eggs you get at the grocery store.

Just my thoughts. :) I've never tried coconut in my mayo, but I might give it a try.
# Posted By Jessica | 3/29/11 6:49 PM
Does anyone have an answer for Linda about egg substitutes in this recipe? I'd like to know too; we don't eat eggs.
# Posted By Kitt | 3/30/11 9:44 AM
There is absolutely no substitute for the eggs as it is the base of the recipe.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 3/30/11 11:11 AM
Sarah,
You always come up with great ideas! Please keep them coming as they are making my life so much more enjoyable. Back in the day, I used to make my own mayo.... can't wait to try this one!
# Posted By DeeDee | 3/30/11 2:21 PM
DeeDee: I'm so glad you're enjoying the recipes! That totally made my day. :)
# Posted By Sarah:) | 3/30/11 3:19 PM
This is the best mayo recipe ever and it just got easier--I made it with a stick blender in about 20 seconds! I put all the ingredients (I added a tiny sprinkle of stevia) into a wide mouth canning jar and stuck the blender in. I started at the bottom for about 5 seconds and slowly raised it up till it was all blended--sooo easy and delicious! I made cole slaw with it--it was the best.
# Posted By Julie | 4/1/11 2:33 AM
Can palm oil be used instead of coconut oil? I don't have anything against coconut oil, I was just wondering. Everyone is commenting on how yummy this is, but does it taste like coconut at all? My kids don't like to taste the coconut, I know, they are crazy!
# Posted By YOli | 4/11/11 11:48 PM
Yoli: Depending on what type of coconut oil you use the mayo may carry a slight taste of coconut. If you use expeller pressed coconut oil you shouldn't have a problem with coconut taste.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 4/12/11 11:31 AM
I just made this for the first time. I did it exactly to your recipe. It's pretty good, but next time I make it I think I will use the coconut water vinegar instead of the lemon juice and increase the vco to 3/4 and decrease evoo to 1/4
# Posted By Sherry | 4/18/11 3:59 PM
Lemon juice and vinegar are anti bacteria so they will kill in bad stuff in the egg. I'd suggest using organic eggs and wash them before you crack. I make mayo but don't put the oil in this slow and it comes out fine.
# Posted By Kenda | 5/15/11 4:07 PM
Why can't I use all coconut oil in the recipe. Love that oil. Use it for everything including for butter on my toast. I'm from the South and I fry okra in it also and it is lovely. Ditto cube steaks, french fries, my breakfast eggs. My theory is if it needs oil, coconut oil will do the trick.
# Posted By Jimmie | 5/20/11 11:33 PM
Jimmie: You can use all coconut oil if you want. It may get really hard when you refrigerate it though.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 5/21/11 2:11 PM
Hi all,

I want to make this recipe but the yield is too low. We consume alot of mayo here at home. Can I just double the ingredients to make 3 cups of Mayo? Or will the recipe not work with doubling? Pls let me know!! I don't want to waste it if it goes wrong.

Thx
Natalie
# Posted By Natalie | 5/28/11 1:16 PM
Natalie: The recipe should turn out fine with doubling. Just adjust the blending time as needed.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 5/28/11 8:38 PM
Hey Sarah!!!!
Trying out your mayo recipe today. Can't wait to taste it!!!
I LOVE mayo!!! :)
# Posted By Angela | 5/31/11 5:47 PM
Just finished making the mayo!!!
It turned out fantastic!!!
Angela. :)
# Posted By Angela | 5/31/11 6:58 PM
So glad you like it Angela!
# Posted By Sarah:) | 5/31/11 7:05 PM
I just made this. The process was awesome and it looked perfect, but tasted horrible! I think my olive oil was rancid. Time to go to the grocery and buy some fresh oil to try again.
# Posted By sweetmama | 6/4/11 9:18 PM
Yay! It worked. :) I'm not a big mayonnaise person, but this tastes better than the other recipe I'd been making and the girls all like it better. I was a bit intimidated by the pouring process, but it worked.
# Posted By Julie | 6/15/11 6:21 PM
I've made coconut oil using just pure coconut oil (expeller pressed to remove the coconut flavor) and have used it when on the Phase 2 hCG protocol and have had very good results, but without another non solidifying oil (such as olive oil) it goes hard when refrigerated since coconut oil solidifies at cooler temps.. I sort of solved this issue by making smaller batches and leaving my oil out for 30 minutes for it to warm up enough to spread. However... if your room temp is cool then it doesn't work all the time :( on the other hand, the 100% coconut mayo I make makes and awesome butter replacement for cooking when in solid form HAHAHA so I still make good use of it :)
# Posted By Laura | 6/19/11 9:44 AM
I used Mari's 'recipe' of 2 yolks, 1/2 c. vco and 1/4 c. evoo along with 3 Tb. AC vinegar, salt and paprika... I will use less vinegar next time it was too 'bitey' for me. I used the stick blender method mentioned my someone else... I could not believe how absolutely easy it was... I loaded all ingred. into a wide mouth pint jar, lowered the stick blender to the bottom and then slowly raised it up as the mayo formed. I'm sure it didn't take more than 3 min. to measure out ingred. and put the lid on the finished product. Thanks !
# Posted By Marie | 6/21/11 12:11 AM
Anyone have a recommendation on a quality food processor that isn't too complicated, not too expensive, and most importantly is easy to clean? (I don't have a dishwasher >.< ) Please reply with brand name and price. Thank you!
# Posted By Antonia | 6/28/11 5:57 PM
I use a stick blender and I had this whipped up in less than a minute and I DID dump the oil in... you gotta love 'em- the whipping disk doesn't need a thin stream of oil in order to work. =) I found this mayo tasted SO much like mustard that it didn't taste like mayo at all... I'm gonna play with the seasoning some. The consistency was very nice and it was wonderfully creamy. Thank you.
# Posted By Huntress | 7/10/11 8:15 AM
Can palm oil be substitued for the olive oil or coconut oil in this recipe?
# Posted By fran | 7/25/11 2:13 PM
This was wonderful! I added a teaspoon of garlic powder to cover up the olive oil taste (gack!) and then a teaspoon of curry powder, and mixed it with small shrimp to make a coconut curry shrimp salad. Can't be beat!
# Posted By TJ | 8/1/11 2:43 PM
You may be able to replace the eggs with a little water, almond milk and corn starch boiled down to a thick consistency. I'm vegan so I constantly check out all sorts of recipes and "Veganize" it. Hope this helps.
# Posted By evolver | 8/26/11 10:58 AM
The eggs cannot be replaced in this recipe.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 8/26/11 11:22 AM
I googled how to pasteurize my own eggs...It's easy!
# Posted By M.Dauphinais | 9/30/11 10:06 AM
There is a French style of mayonnaise that uses hard boiled eggs mixed with lemon juice, a little water, cayenne, mustard and emulsified with oil, that should work just fine. You can also used the whites chopped and add herbs to it to make it taste really good.
# Posted By Chef | 10/3/11 10:02 PM
I use 1/2 V. Coconut Oil and 1/2 MCT Oil (also coconut oil) and it tastes so good.
# Posted By Pat | 1/1/12 5:51 PM
Yes, there are a variety of egg substitutes you can use.

The following are recipes for various egg replacers (substitute each recipe for one egg):

1.   Mix together 1/4 teaspoon of Authentic Foods Xanthan Gum, 2 teaspoons of Authentic Foods Potato Starch, and 1/2 teaspoon of light olive oil or vegetable oil.
2.   Mix together 1 1/2 tablespoons of water, 1 1/2 tablespoons of light olive oil or vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
3.   Mix together 1 teaspoon of flax meal and 1/4 cup of water

I added more ingredients and used the hand held blender and it was just as the one in the store.
a professional chef told me if I add dry acid whey it would last longer. I will try it next time

NB: Guar Gum is a Thickening agent for sauces and dressings
In addition, add a pinch of xanthan gum to your homemade salad dressings for improved suspension of vinegar and oil.

Dry Acid Whey - Acts as a preservative & deters mold and bacterial growth. When buying Dry Acid Whey make sure it says “acid” on the package. If it doesn’t assume it is sweet whey which isn’t the same and won’t work correctly.

•   1 whole Egg
•   2 egg yolks
•   1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard with seed
•   1 tablespoon fresh Lemon juice
•   1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
•   1/2 teaspoon Coconut sugar
•   1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
•   1/2 cup Virgin Coconut Oil (melted if solid)
•   1/2 cup virgin Olive oil
•   3 tablespoon Apple Cider vinegar
•   1/4 teaspoon paprika
•   1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
•   1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
•   a pinch of xanthan Gum
•   a pinch of Guar Gum

Thanks for the info.. I am buying no more organic mayo
# Posted By LLEW CARR | 1/24/12 11:15 PM
Could this mayo be frozen so we could make a bigger batch and freeze part of it for later? Since the eggs have been emulsified with the oils, wouldn't they freeze ok?
# Posted By Lynne | 1/25/12 12:35 PM
I began making the coconut oil mayonaise with 1/2 c. VCO and 1/4 c. EVOO and 2 egg yolks etc with a stick blender in a wide mouth canning jar... turned out great and worked great in the frig... then WITHOUT changing anything, it began getting rock hard when it was down to about half a recipe in the jar. The temp in the frig has not been changed and yet it continues to happen. Can't figure out why it is happening now and wasn't in the beginning.
# Posted By Marie | 1/25/12 11:38 PM
Perhaps you could use 4 egg yolks instead of the 2 + 1 whole egg, as It is not advised to eat egg white raw.
# Posted By Alison | 2/11/12 11:52 PM
I only use egg yolks - 2egg yolks with 1/2 c. virgin coconut oil and 1/4 c. EVOO along with AC vinegar (2TB) pinch salt and 1/4 tsp dry mustard.
# Posted By Marie | 2/12/12 9:21 PM
How long does it keep?
# Posted By Katrina | 2/21/12 4:44 PM
Katrina, not sure 'who' you are asking etc.... but when I make my mayonnaise, I also add 1-1.5 Tbs. 'juice' from my lacto fermented vegetables.... I then use it within 2 weeks even though some say longer... I'm very careful not to leave it sitting outside the refrigerator also... I take what I need and promptly return it. I also put a tape tag on the top of the jar listing the day I made it and then the 2 wk later dated.
Marie
# Posted By Marie | 2/22/12 2:20 AM
Here's a trick from "Nourishing Traditions": add a tablespoon or more of active-culture whey at the beginning. When finished, put the mayo in the container you wish to store it in...then leave it on the countertop overnight. Refrigerate in the morning. This gives the bacteria in the whey time to populate the whole batch, turning it from a petri dish for bad bacteria into a filled ecology of good bacteria. Not only healthier, it will stay good in the refrigerator for a month or more.

You get active culture whey by pouring it off of good plain yoghurt, or strain it out of yoghurt with cheese cloth. (I use a very clean man's handkerchief...works perfectly.)
# Posted By Joel | 2/23/12 8:50 AM
Joel....
I do not use any dairy... will lacto fermented veg juice/brine do the same?
# Posted By Marie | 2/24/12 1:20 AM
Marie - While I've never tried it with anything other than yoghurt whey, I'm about 99.9% sure the answer is yes. So long as it hasn't been pasteurized, of course, and is moderately fresh.

One thing...if you make a Waldorf salad and save some overnight, in the morning your Waldorf will taste of cider because of the bacteria. But I consider that all to the good.

Also, I just noticed the proportions on the recipe here. I've never tried it with half and half VCO and EVOO...I usually do 1/5 VCO to 4/5 EVOO. This article (http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/10/the-food-lab-meatonnaise-mayonnaises-mayos-bacon-lamb-duck-beef-fats-science.html) talks about the chemistry of what is going on, and recommends a low saturated to unsaturated ratio between your oils (if you use more than one at all) for the sake of it working at all. But I'm assuming that Sarah made her own recipe, so presumably, half and half works when the saturated fat is VCO. I like how the two together create a much more balanced flavor than just an olive oil mayo.
# Posted By Joel | 2/24/12 3:51 PM
Oh, BTW, Ceasar salad dressing is just a thin mayo with garlic and anchovy added. Easiest way to do the anchovy is Thai Fish Sauce. I generally make it fresh for each salad by thoroughly pulverizing one (or less) clove of garlic in my mortar/pestle, and mix this up with one egg yolk, juice of half a small lemon, 4-5 shakes from the fish sauce bottle, and black pepper (the fish sauce is salty, so no salt). Then start very slowly pouring in olive oil while mixing briskly. Keep pouring/mixing until you reach the proper consistency. Toss your Romaine lettuce and top with shredded parmesan and (optional) croutons. SOOO much better than any store-bought or restaurant Caesar.

You can, of course, make this in a larger batch and store in the fridge to make things even easier. The garlic itself will help preserve it, but if you are going to save it past a week or so, you should also use the whey method mentioned above.
# Posted By Joel | 2/27/12 1:09 PM
Thanks for the Caesar salad dressing recipe! I am wondering if you can just put all the ingredients in the jar you're going to store it in and use an immersion blender to blend it all up into the dressing? That's how I make my mayo. If you use an immersion blender you do not need to add the oil "slowly"... just put it in first and then add all the ingredients and blend. Do you think it will work OK for this, too?
# Posted By Victoria | 2/27/12 3:38 PM
Victoria - I haven't tried Caesar that way, but I suspect that if it works for you for mayo, it ought to work that way for Caesar. Caesar is thinner than mayo, anyway, so whatever happens it's probably going to be just fine.
# Posted By Joel | 2/27/12 6:58 PM
Thanks, Joel. I'll give it a try. It sounds yummy! :)
# Posted By Victoria | 2/27/12 11:59 PM
Is that "prepared" mustard or "ground" mustard?
# Posted By Joan | 3/2/12 2:06 PM
Joan - Pretty certain the recipe means prepared mustard. Dijon mustard - like Grey Poupon - is most commonly used, but something like French's or Gulden's would work just fine, too. Likely ground mustard would also work...I believe it's just acting as flavor in this recipe, I don't think it has anything to do with the chemical reaction going on. But you'd have to reduce the amount...one tablespoon would be overpowering, I think.
# Posted By Joel | 3/2/12 10:08 PM
When you use the stick blender, do you use the whisk attachment or just the regular blender blade?
# Posted By Paula | 3/19/12 2:11 PM
I use the regular stick blender blade. No attachment. Works beautifully.
# Posted By Victoria | 3/19/12 6:03 PM
Paula, I use a wide mouth pint canning jar...just place the stick blender in and rest it on the bottom of the jar and pressed against (touching) the side nearest to you... then when you begin, slowly move the blender up the side of the jar. By keeping it resting on the side of the jar, it provides a really nice steadiness...
# Posted By Marie | 3/20/12 12:11 PM
Plan to try this. Concerned that we won't use it quickly enough. Mayo stays in our fridge for weeks until it is used up. Is there any way to keep it longer than a week?
Thanks
# Posted By Dick | 3/23/12 3:32 PM
See Joel's post above 02.23.2012 re Nourishing Traditions method to keep mayo longer
# Posted By Marie | 3/24/12 1:30 AM
Dick, read through the above posts for instructions about lacto-fermentation, or adding active whey to the recipe.
# Posted By Paula | 3/24/12 10:00 AM
What's a Stick Blender? Where do I get one?
# Posted By Ethelyn | 4/5/12 9:05 PM
Ethelyn, there are several brands and they are also called immersion blenders. Search on Amazon.com for stick blender or immersion blender and you can see what they look like. You can purchase online or at most any place that sells small appliances like WalMart, Target, department stores, hardware stores. I have the Cuisinart with the whisk and chopper attachments.
# Posted By Paula | 4/7/12 11:33 PM
"Pretty certain the recipe means prepared mustard. Dijon mustard - like Grey Poupon - is most commonly used, but something like French's or Gulden's would work just fine, too. Likely ground mustard would also work...I believe it's just acting as flavor in this recipe, I don't think it has anything to do with the chemical reaction going on."

Mustard is an emulsifier and crucial in making mayonnaise. If it's omitted, it will not emulsify, you'll just have eggy oil.
# Posted By Ana | 4/8/12 5:06 PM
I've made mayo using both the fresh mustard and the dry. Both work fine, but I personally prefer the taste with the fresh.
# Posted By Victoria | 4/10/12 1:51 PM
Ana, I don't believe mustard is required for the emulsification of the egg and oil to take place, it just adds another layer of 'flavor'.
# Posted By Marie | 4/11/12 12:40 AM
I've been discovering coconut everything! And am re-discovering making my own mayonnaise! Thanks for this!
# Posted By Ree | 4/15/12 11:29 AM
I've been making my own mayonnaise for over 10 years. It's not nearly as time consuming or complicated as you make it sound. A batch only takes minutes. I don't add the oil, one drop at a time,but rather in a steady stream. Once or twice in the past decade I did add the oil too quickly & the emulsion broke. All I had to do to save it was to start with a new batch (eggs, vinegar, mustard, etc.) in the blender and add the ruined batch as I would the oil in the original recipe. This isn't rocket science!
# Posted By Valerie | 4/19/12 3:54 PM
Jenny your momis right, the trick to making your mayonnaise turnout right every time, you must use a high setting on your blender for good emulsification. In the old days before blenders, they used mixers. Mixers did not rotate fast enough to emulsify well so they had to poor the oil in drop by drop. That is not necessary when using the blender on its highest setting. After blending the initial ingredients, poor the remaining oil in with a small steady stream till it is gone. You may have to stop at some point and stir down the mayonnaise with a spatula and then continue blending. Don't heat the coconut oil up too much. Mix it with the other oil and warm it just enough till it will pour. It sould still be opaque in color. If your mayonnaise does curdle or liquefiy, empty the contents out of the container, blend another egg and a 1/4 cup of the liquid mayonnaise until mixed, then pour the remaining liquid mayonnaise slowing into the container till all the liquid mayonnaise has been added. It should turnout for you the second time. Remember the trick is to use the "whip", "mix" or "high" setting depending on what settings you have on your blender.
# Posted By Esther | 5/6/12 10:24 PM
This is a very good recipe. This was my first time making home made mayonnaise. I have been wanting to make my own because almost every store bought mayonnaise contains poor quality oils.

It needs to sit a minute before you taste it. I didn't have any pepper so I used garlic powder, oregano, and basil.

I mixed it with tuna fish, and it was wondrous.

Standing over the loud blender was annoying, so I will probably try the food processor the next time.

Have an excellent day!
# Posted By Christine | 5/8/12 12:30 PM
On another site for homemade mayo, I say the advice to put the oils into one of those outdoor BBQ squeezie ketchup/mustard dispensers, so as to do the drip/stream technique easier. I haven't actually made the mayo myself due to not really using up mayo that quickly. But I am always thinking it would be nice to try it! ;)
# Posted By Toni | 5/18/12 1:38 PM
It's even better if you add a half of a roasted red pepper. THAT is delicious on salads, vegetables, chicken and fish ...

And,for the other writer, there is no mayo made with cooked eggs. If you're nervous about this, get eggs from a local farmer, not a factory farm. Free range eggs are much more delicious and I've never heard of anyone getting sick from them. For what that's worth.
# Posted By Melinda | 5/18/12 5:10 PM
Make mayo the easy way with an immersion blender (stick blender)... just put all the ingredients in the jar, including the oil (I use almond oil) and stick in the blender... I have a Braun and use the #5 setting (highest). You'll have mayo in less than a minutes with no 'dripping the oil' hassle.
# Posted By Victoria | 5/18/12 6:17 PM
Thank you for this recipe! I just made it and it turned out perfect! (I used a medicine dropper at first to get started with the oil)
# Posted By Julie | 5/31/12 1:32 PM
I saw an earlier question about how long the mayo will last. If you ferment it, it will last a couple months, but if you don't ferment it, it will last about a week. If you mix 1 TBSP of whey with the mayo, put a lid on it and let it sit out on your counter for 7 hours before you put it in the fridge it will ferment and then last for several months. I have done this before and it does not change the taste of the mayo. I got this from the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.
# Posted By Cathy | 6/6/12 8:02 PM
I just made this and had success. My problem is though, and it is why I stopped making mayo, is that we don't use it up in time. The ingredients are too expensive to have to through out. I made it today in anticipation of making egg salad, and tomato sandwiches (yeah garden!), but on a normal use basis we don't use it up in a week. Does this freeze well??
# Posted By anne c. | 7/5/12 11:31 AM
Just made this with 2 egg yolks, 1/2 cup EVCO, 1/4 cup EVOO, 1 T. dijon mustard, 1 T. fresh lemon juice, dash of salt, and 1 T. whey from plain nonfat yogurt. I didn't leave the mayonnaise on the counter for 7 hours. Does it have to be left out in order to work? This recipe tastes pretty good, it is real similar to a vegan mac and cheese recipe I've made and that was made with lemon juice and dijon mustard which are kind of overpowering. I'm going to lower the mustard to 1 tsp. next time and maybe try ACV instead of the lemon juice. Overall, I love this recipe! I use all organic ingredients and I don't have to use anymore "GMOnnaise" as I call it. Thanks so much for this recipe and to everyone who added their input as well! I can't wait to perfect it to my liking and use it for tuna fish and everything else I've used GMOnnaise for.
# Posted By Kyle | 8/14/12 3:19 PM
Kyle, leaving it on the counter allows it to ferment. Refrigeration stops or slows the fermentation way down. For the friendly bacteria to multiply, you will want to let it sit on the counter before putting it in the fridge. :)
# Posted By Victoria | 8/15/12 1:44 PM
This recipe is so delicious. I just made it successfully for the second time. I left out one of the egg yolks because it was a teeny bit too eggy for me last time. This time...perfection itself. So easy to do in a processor. I use a nice truffle mustard I get in wine country for an added dash of luxury.
# Posted By vicki | 8/20/12 10:54 PM
Concerning the whey to extend shelf-life, how about some of the liquid from the Atcharra? It is a fermented product already and the main ingredient is Coconut water vinegar, any thoughts if this could work?
# Posted By Eloni | 8/29/12 12:49 AM
We oldtimers have always known that lemon juice or vanilla or alcohol or vinegar cooks the egg in the recipe.
# Posted By Auntmisbehaving | 9/5/12 4:51 PM
CAN YOU CAN THIS MAYO? AND HOW DO YOU DO IT IF SO???
# Posted By GAYE | 10/11/12 2:21 PM
I think there are too much oils in this recipe, unless it needs time to thicken in the refrigerator, it's a little liquidy right now.
# Posted By Hannah | 12/14/12 4:42 PM
Hannah: The oil ratio is correct. If it's liquidy, then the oils were added too quickly. The video demos the correct technique for pouring it in.
# Posted By Sarah | 12/14/12 6:31 PM
To make the mayo last in the fridge longer you can add liquid whey to ferment it.

Just drain the liquid out of store bought yogurt w/active live cultures (do this in a tea towel or cheesecloth over a container to catch the liquid whey). Then pour 1 Tbsp to the mayo recipe in the blender before adding the oil. Then let the mayo sit out room temperature for 8 hours. It will then last more than the 2 wks in the fridge. If it smells or tastes off then it went bad.
# Posted By Kathy | 1/9/13 1:51 AM
This is the best mayo. I used 2/3 cup coconut oil and 1/3 cup EVOO and the rest the same in the recipe. This is be my go to mayo recipe from now on. Thank you.
# Posted By Leslie | 1/29/13 11:32 AM
I cannot stand the taste of olive oil in my mayo. Does this have any olive oil taste? I only use almond oil to make my mayo, but it is on the expensive side!
# Posted By Victoria | 1/29/13 4:12 PM
We don't use this much mayo in a week. Could this be frozen?
# Posted By Erin | 2/14/13 9:20 AM
I've seen other recipes that say eggs have to be room temperature?
# Posted By barbara | 3/5/13 1:26 AM
I was not a fan of this recipe, although I wanted to be. I like finding uses for my coconut oil.
The mustard came out too strong for my tastes, and I used EVOO, which had way too strong of a flavor.
When I stored it in the fridge, the coconut oil made it harden.
# Posted By CARRIE | 6/23/13 1:45 PM
OK. I love to make my own mayo. I especially like to mix it up. So although I always ferment my mayo and do use an immersion stick to make it within one minute. The thing I have learned is that the oil has to be in liquid form and all the ingredients need to be room temperature. From there try adding fermented pickle or vege juice, wasabi instead of mustard, dried herbs and spices, whatever you are in the mood for. I make a lot of fresh sandwiches and it really mixes it up. Turned into dressing it is awesome. Try adding crumbled blue cheese, fish sauce for the salt. The only limit is your imagination. Use this mayo for anything you would use mayo for. Dipping artichokes, coating meats before cooking... tip: Just make the mayo in a large bowl stir in cubed cooked potato, chopped olive, onion, hard boiled eggs, little cubes of cheese... potato salad. Yummy Oh, it is a little firmer than store bought. If you like it softer, just add more olive or liquid coconut oil.
# Posted By Marcee | 8/8/13 5:13 PM
Just made my first mayo batch using the stick blender method. This has just rocked my world!! I used 2/3 cups walnut oil and 1/3 cup coconut oil. I added my whey liquid at the beginning as suggested. I had not seen anybody suggest walnut oil and it is honestly, by leaps and bounds, the best, healthiest, mildest tasting oil out there. So I am thinking it is perfect for the mayo. And it is a good higher heat fat also.
# Posted By AnnR | 10/18/13 7:20 PM
I have been wanting to make some mayo for myself. I' going to try this recipe. Love to find recipes where I can make wholesome food for my kids.
# Posted By Renata | 10/24/13 6:55 PM
when refrigerated does the mayo stay spreadable - wouldn't the coconut oil harden?
# Posted By Barb | 11/2/13 5:02 PM
Barb - the mayo stays perfectly spreadable and fluffy!
# Posted By Sarah S. | 11/3/13 11:10 PM
does this taste like coconut? I want to use the oil more but find the taste in cooking a bit much
# Posted By Eve | 11/4/13 2:53 PM
Eve, I don't think it tastes like coconut, but if you don't like it in cooking you should try the expeller pressed.
# Posted By Paula | 11/4/13 10:54 PM
Is the vitamix blender to powerful for making the mayo. I made another recipe in the vitamix and could not make an emulsion. Had to make it with the cuisinart mini chopper and it came out perfect.
# Posted By Marcia | 11/15/13 5:01 PM
Could canola oil replace olive oil? Also, is the vitamix to powerful to make the mayo? I made a different recipe and could not make an emulsion. Seemed the vitamix blender made it too hot.
# Posted By Marcia | 11/15/13 5:08 PM
I made this today, and I'm a bit disappointed. The consistency is fine, the color, etc.... but I followed the directions to a t, and I like everything but the taste. It seems WAY heavy in the olive oil dept., in fact it tastes like creamy olive oil, and it's kind of bitter.
If I try again, I'll cut that olive oil to 1/4 cup, and 3/4 cup coconut oil.
# Posted By R. Manwiller | 11/20/13 3:49 PM
I was scared to try this, but it turned out great. I used my immersion blender and it blended so easily and quickly. Thank you, Sarah! ps. I used mustard in powder form - about 1/4 teaspoon - and Brag's apple cider vinegar. I also used about 3/4 coconut oil, because I only have extra-virgin olive oil and I was worried about it being too strong. It is still strong flavored, but completely edible. Definitely want to try regular olive oil next time. Today I needed mayo for potato salad, which I'll also add sour cream to, because I like that creaminess and bite.
# Posted By Amy | 2/7/14 6:13 PM
I have a Vita Mix. Can I use this to make the mayo?
# Posted By Rita B | 2/11/14 3:19 PM
Yes, a Vita Mixer will work (actually, if you watch the video you'll see the blender there is a Vita Mix). Just start slow and gradually build the speed up. If the mayo becomes too thick to move, it is done.
# Posted By Sarah S. | 2/11/14 7:53 PM
love the sound track
# Posted By ian | 3/21/14 1:46 PM
I want to try this today! May I suggest when purchasing mustard you opt for an organic....or one labeled non-GMO? It's just my "bone of contention" these days (w/ the food industry) so I thought I'd put in a plug. =)
# Posted By Robin | 5/8/14 1:18 PM
Made this with just yolks, and wasabi powder instead of mustard. Thanks for sharing your recipe! I'm also using a stick blender and just put everything into a container at once. I've had no issue with separating.
# Posted By Beth | 5/13/14 9:11 AM
This was my first time making my own mayo and what a surprise! It was so easy and delicious! Definitely worth the time and effort.
# Posted By jodi | 5/25/14 5:00 PM
Thank you for the recipe. In-stead of mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper I have used Balsamic Vinegar.
# Posted By Vera | 7/21/14 6:11 PM