When the weather outside is cold, make hot cocoa. Coconut Peanut Butter Cup Hot Cocoa, that is.

Never heard of it? Well good, 'cause as far as I know I'm the first one to come up with it (the coconut part, not the peanut butter part). There are lots of peanut butter hot chocolate/hot cocoa recipes out there, but Coconut Peanut Butter? Nope. Not until now!

I'm sure you've all at some point or another had a cup of hot cocoa or chocolate, but have you ever tried it with peanut butter? Or Coconut Peanut Butter? If you haven't you should. It's a fantastic combination. Think of it as a peanut butter cup. How could you not like peanut butter cups?

So I have here a recipe for Coconut Peanut Butter Cup Hot Cocoa. I love the addition of the Coconut Peanut Butter; it adds richness and creaminess to the drink without overpowering the chocolate flavor.

This is hot cocoa by the way, not hot chocolate. What's the difference? Simple. Hot cocoa is made with cocoa powder and hot chocolate is made with chocolate. See? I told you it was simple. So don't get the two confused.

No hot cocoa is complete without whipped cream, so go ahead, dollop it on. Use whipped cream, not whipped topping. The difference? Whipped topping isn't the real stuff made from real heavy cream; it's fake, usually made from hydrogenated vegetable oils. Whipped cream is just was it says it is: whipped heavy cream sweetened with a bit of sugar and flavored with vanilla extract. Delish.

So if you love hot cocoa but are a little bored of just the same thing, do give this recipe a try. I love adding a few tablespoons of coconut oil to the recipe to drink before a workout for an energy boost. It's rich (but not too rich), creamy, peanutbuttery, coconutty, chocolaty, and tastes a lot like a peanut butter cup with a twist. Not only that, but it's also WAY better then the packaged stuff. One sip of this and you'll never buy hot cocoa mix again. If you don't already have a jar of Coconut Peanut Butter in your possession you'll want to get some just to make this. What are you waiting for?

Enjoy the recipe below!

Sarah

Coconut Peanut Butter Cup Hot Cocoa

Coconut Peanut Butter Cup Hot Cocoa recipe photo
Coconut Peanut Butter Cup Hot Cocoa
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy, Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

4 - 5 servings

Combine dry ingredients in a medium saucepan and whisk in water over medium heat. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Boil for 2 minutes. Whisk in Coconut Peanut Butter.

Add milk and whisk and heat until hot, but do not boil. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract. Serve topping with whipped cream.

*If using honey, use less then you would for sugar. Brown sugar may be used.

Recipe courtesy Sarah Shilhavy

So... Sarah, do you just stay home and make up recipes using the products from TT or do you just get bored with everyday life and think something might work and try it, like this here Coconut Peanut Butter Cup Hot Cocoa recipe that was just posted? (did you get that whole hill-billy tone there?! LOL I was thinking of putting "jest' instead of just, but I will spare you now.)

well, it looks delicious, and I'll be trying it when I get my coconut peanut butter to review. :) looks delicious!
# Posted By Miss Rachel | 1/6/10 3:10 PM
LOL Rachel!

Actually when I came up with this recipe I was just plain bored with PLAIN hot cocoa, so decided to do something different. :) Peppermint was too common, white hot cocoa same thing, regular peanut butter was all over the place, but Coconut Peanut Butter? The light bulb went on. The rest is history. Hope you enjoy it!
# Posted By Sarah | 1/6/10 8:20 PM
Well... I didn't try it yet, but I'm thinking I will tomorrow - so I can take a photo of it. You know me, I have to take photos of everything I make. :P hehe.

I got the coconut peanut butter to review, and have yet to taste it. It smells like a candy I can't name (because I forget the name) and can't wait to find a couple more recipes to try it with! AWESOME... smells sooooooooooo good though. :)

Well, I've never had peanut butter hot cocoa, but now I'm onto it. :)
# Posted By Miss Rachel | 1/10/10 8:03 PM
Sounds wonderful.....
Because you are the originator of the recipe, you know how it should taste, perhaps you would provide the ingredient amounts to make ONE cup. I would be appreciative. Thank you. Jean
# Posted By Jean | 2/1/10 10:53 AM
Sure! Here it is:

1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar/honey, to taste
dash of salt
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon Coconut Peanut Butter
1 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon vanilla

Make as directed but boil the cocoa, sweetener, salt and water for only 1 minute before stirring the milk and coconut peanut butter in.
# Posted By Sarah | 2/1/10 2:42 PM
I'll be trying the one cup version, just to make sure everyone likes it. But I have to wait until tomorrow because we're outta milk! Ha! But I tasted the coconut peanut butter, and it is AWESOME. its got the right amount of coconut and peanut butter taste to it. simply delicious!
# Posted By Miss Rachel | 2/1/10 3:27 PM
Oh my gosh...heaven!

xoxo
# Posted By Pam | 3/11/10 5:04 PM
Hi Sarah,
I would like to make this Coconut Peanut Butter Cup Hot Cocoa It really sounds soo good, but where do I get the coconut peanut butter I never heard of it? I'm from Massachusetts & I don't think the market baskets here sells the coconut peanut butter. Is there a recipe of coconut peanut butter that I can make homemade?
# Posted By Tina | 2/2/11 12:46 PM
Looks delic....gonna go try it now...I am freezing and this would be just the thing. Thanks for the recipe...really appreciate it.
# Posted By Susq | 2/2/11 12:50 PM
Tina: The Coconut Peanut Butter is Tropical Traditions' product and can be purchased on their website by clicking on the ingredient (it's hyperlinked).
# Posted By Sarah:) | 2/2/11 1:04 PM
please can you tell me where i can buy coconut peanut butter??? in the uk... ??? this looks lovely
# Posted By emma | 8/30/12 5:56 AM
Did you manage to find the coconut peanut butter in the UK?? I need to taste this!
# Posted By Dave | 3/6/14 8:29 AM
Dave - you can make your own by mixing Coconut Cream Concentrate and peanut butter together!
# Posted By Sarah S. | 3/7/14 4:09 PM
I have done just that! It's wonderful!
# Posted By Dave | 3/7/14 5:06 PM