|Vanilla-Flecked Coconut Macaroons|
|Photo by recipe author|
These cookies are incredible easy to make - no need to whip the egg whites beforehand. Just mix everything and bake. Parchment paper is the key to keeping these cookies from sticking (and easy clean-up).
- 3 egg whites (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup white granulated sugar (you could substitute raw honey)
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate
1. Mix the egg whites, sugar, and coconut in a large bowl.
2. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise down the middle and scrape all the seeds into the bowl. Mix again making sure to evenly distribute the vanilla seeds. You should see tiny specks of black throughout the batter.
3. Using a tablespoon or ice cream scoop, place 12 scoops of batter at a time (evenly spaced) on a baking pan lined with parchment paper; each scoop should be about the size of a golf ball. The batter will be thick and lumpy with little peaks of coconut.
4. Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes or until the tips of the coconut turn golden brown. Let cool completely on the pans, then separate the batch in half.
5. Melt the chocolate.
6. Dip a spatula into the melted chocolate and wave over the macaroons about 4 or 5 inches above the tray. Let the chocolate drizzle down in zig-zag patterns and let cool. (You can also dip the cookies one at a time by hand.)
Recipe submitted by Alejandra, New York, NY
|The average is oldaverage based on oldtotal votes.|