This gluten free pie crust isn't like a regular, flaky pie crust (I'm still working on that one). It's more like a cookie....almost. It has a bit of crunch, a little sweetness, and buttery all around.

It's multipurpose too. The picture here shows a pumpkin pie filling, but you can use it in any recipe that calls for pie crust. If using it in a sweet recipe, you can add more honey to taste if you like. If you're going for a savory filling, leave the honey be.

While you're making this, mold it into the pie plate almost like you would like a graham cracker crust. The dough is going to be soft and delicate so you'll need to press it into shape. And by the way, the 1/2 cup of shredded coconut can be taken out if you don't want that extra "coconuttyness."

Oh, and if you need a pre-baked pie crust, bake this at 350 degrees F for about....15 minutes maybe? Just keep an eye on it and take it out when it's a nice light golden color. It'll vary from oven to oven.

I have another fall recipe coming very soon, so stay tuned!

Sarah:)

Gluten Free Coconut Flour Pie Crust

Gluten Free Coconut Flour Pie Crust recipe photo
Gluten Free Coconut Flour Pie Crust
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy, Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

In a medium sized bowl cut the butter and coconut oil into the coconut flour until mixture resembles irregular pea sized clumps. Add remaining ingredients except egg white. Mix together with your hands until a soft dough has formed. Pat dough into a 9 inch pie pan. When you are done forming the crust, take the egg white and beat it with a fork until frothy. With a pastry brush, brush the crust with the egg white just before filling.

Recipe by Sarah Shilhavy

looks great! i'm gonna try it... really soon... maybe now!
# Posted By tammy | 11/24/10 3:01 PM
I'm definitely going to try this crust this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out! :D
# Posted By Lia | 11/24/10 5:00 PM
well, it's very easy... very good and very filling. i made a pecan pie... 1/6 pie piece is WAY TOO MUCH... (especially after a pizza)
# Posted By tammy | 11/24/10 6:43 PM
I made this as a crust for a pecan pie, I found it to be a little dry and powdery. Maybe a little less flour (like 3/4 C or even 1/2) and some more butter? However this crust is the only one I've ever made that stays together, so I was very happy about that!
# Posted By Ani | 11/25/10 6:21 PM
did you do the egg white over the crust before adding the filling?
# Posted By tammy | 11/25/10 8:01 PM
Ani,

I haven't made this yet, but you might try adding more egg. For some reason coconut flour needs LOTS of eggs - which may help with moisture.
# Posted By Erica | 11/26/10 2:09 AM
My husband tried this yesterday. We didn't have any shredded coconut, so he ommited that and he added an extra egg.
It was not edible. Sawdusty. :( Will keep trying, but this is our second foray into a coconut flour only deal. I think less coconut flour and more moisture would help
# Posted By carriejoy | 11/26/10 11:09 AM
I'm sorry the crust didn't meet your expectations. You can read about how to use coconut flour href="http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/index.cfm/2009/8/5/How-To-Use-Coconut-Flour">
here
# Posted By Sarah:) | 11/26/10 11:52 AM
I made this crust (forgot the egg wash!) and made a pumpkin-pecan pie. Turned out great on our end, though I think I might add a bit more sweet for the sweet pies, just to make it a bit more graham-cracker-ish. In lieu of the shredded coconut, I did add some fresh ground pecans to the mix. It's a definite win in my cookbook. :D
# Posted By Lia | 11/26/10 12:36 PM
Hi Sarah,
Thanks for posting this recipe. I used it to make a gluten-free pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. It was my first time making a pie crust with coconut flour. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I found that cutting the butter into the flour with forks didn't result in the dough forming the pea sized pieces, so I transferred it to a food processor, and ended up adding about another 3 tablespoons of butter and about 4 more tablespoons of cold water before I could get enough shape to the dough to place it in a pie dish. What do you think I may have done wrong?
Also, I think I ended up with a rather thick crust. Do you have a trick for forming the crust evenly in the pie dish?
Thanks,
Cathy
# Posted By Cathy | 11/30/10 10:46 AM
Hi Cathy,

Did you use the eggs in the recipe? The dough isn't going to be like a regular pie dough, it's kinda soft and almost crumbly. Also, cold water isn't needed since the butter needs to blend into the flour. But it's no biggie. Sometimes coconut flour recipes need to be adjusted so it's not a big deal if you had to add extra liquid, just go by what you think it may need.

Also, the dough will need to be pressed into the pie plate as it is too fragile to be rolled out. :) Hope that helps!
# Posted By Sarah:) | 11/30/10 12:22 PM
To make this dairy free, can I substitute Earth Balance spread (like margarine) for the butter?
# Posted By Michele | 12/5/10 2:45 AM
I recommend using half palm shortening and half coconut oil instead.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 12/5/10 7:04 PM
Thanks Everyone,
I did use the eggs, sarah, but not at first when I was cutting the butter into the flour. It seemed to hold its shape pretty well once I added a bit more water, but I found that I had to use a food processor to make everything stick.
Thanks!
# Posted By Cathy | 12/5/10 8:03 PM
Hey! I couldn't find coconut flour, but I have both tapioca and rice flour- do you think that that could work as a substitute?
# Posted By Rachel | 9/7/11 1:55 PM
should I bake the crust before adding my pumpkin filling?
# Posted By Jarene | 10/30/11 2:44 PM
nice,,should i bake it before i use th efilling?
# Posted By demi | 12/6/11 9:10 AM
I made this recipe and pressed it into mini muffin tins in order to make tartlett shells,which I then filled with homemade lemon curd. This recipe turned out marvelous for this. I did, however, use a few Tbs of organic cane juice crystals instead of the honey since I was out of honey. I will definitely make it again. Perhaps it worked well since I used it with a high moisture content filling. I am trying it as the base for lemon bars next. I will let you know how it goesl.
# Posted By Ruth | 3/29/13 11:53 PM
Do I bake and then fill and then bake again, or bake and fill together at once??? Thanks!
# Posted By Hope | 8/22/13 7:13 PM
Do you think I could make this pie crust with margarine (dairy free) instead of butter? I need to have my pies be dairy and gluten free. Thanks.
# Posted By Marcey S | 9/16/13 10:19 PM
Marcey, try using half palm shortening and half coconut oil instead. I definitely would never eat margarine, its totally bad for you.
# Posted By Christie | 11/11/13 1:01 PM
I tried this for the two recent holidays and changed a couple of things. I eliminated the shredded coconut, and I added 2 T lard. When mixing the egg and water before adding to the dry ingredients, I added about a teaspoon of vinegar. The rest of the ingredient list is the same.
I accidentally gave the mixing to my husband who creamed it like a cake batter - it turned out great.
It is still a little heavy for a cover for the apple pie, but I was able to roll it out with a rolling pin to make the top. I wish I could post a picture of the apple pie - I used a deep dish pie baker.
# Posted By Deb | 12/31/13 5:38 PM

Good Calories, Bad Calories
Good Calories, Bad Calories
until Sunday April 27th
Coconut Oil for Pets
Coconut Oil for Pets
Coconut Oil for Pets
while supplies nearing expiration date last