Whole Wheat Coconut Oil Banana Bread recipe photo
Whole Wheat Coconut Oil Banana Bread
Photo by recipe author

Servings: One loaf

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottoms only of one loaf pan (or other baking dish) with extra coconut oil and set aside.

Mix sugar and coconut oil until blended. Add in the eggs, one at a time, blending well after each one. Add the bananas and water; then after that is blended, add in the rest of the ingredients except nuts and coconut just until moistened. Stir in nuts and coconut, then pour into the loaf pan.

Bake until toothpick or a knife inserted in the middle of loaf comes out clean, about one hour. Let it cool for about five minutes; remove from pans to wire rack and cool completely before slicing.

Recipe submitted by Rachel, Costa Rica

From the picture, It looks like there's chocolate in the bread .

Wondering if this recipe could be made using rice flour instead of whole wheat.
# Posted By Betty | 11/28/10 6:37 PM
delicious! I substituted the sugar with erythritol. I also added a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. And I added 1/2 c. of flax seed.
# Posted By Sarah | 7/18/11 8:42 PM
As I have researched, coconut oil is extremely healthy and great it baked goods. In my research for recipes, I came acress this one recently. It took me a few trips to different stores to find the coconut oil and it is expensive. This recipe was perfect as is. It took longer than an hour to bake as it is very moist. So yummy!
# Posted By Jamie | 8/8/11 9:50 AM
Made banana bread from many recipes over the years. This one is, by far, the best. Didn't have whole wheat so used regular flour and only had 4 bananas but it was great. Even better next day.
# Posted By Tanzi | 8/16/11 5:54 PM
5 Star - Doubled the size for an extra long clay loaf pan and it turned out beautifully. I cooked it about 10 mins longer... might have been my oven, even though the thermometer read 350. Very dense and flavorful. Next time I will use less sugar (used unrefined). Pretty sweet. Used white flour and it worked very well. Big fan of coconut oil.
# Posted By Nathalie | 5/30/12 9:44 AM
I made this this morning and just tried it saying I would have one bite, which didn't happen...Anyway, this is a bread I know I'll come back to a lot, it was so perfect.
I used white whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar and I added 1/4 t coconut extract, but next time I think I'll add a whole teaspoon or 1/2 because the coconut flavor wasn't as strong as I'd like. Also covering the bread with aluminum foil the last 10 min or so helps it not brown since it has nuts.
# Posted By Anna | 6/28/13 11:18 PM
i've made banana bread similar w/ coconut oil and shredded coconut but only use 2-3 bananas and never eggs. eggs are superfluous b/c of the banana, but you can add chia or ground flax mixed with water to replace the eggs in this recipe
# Posted By alex | 8/3/13 8:43 PM
This is one of the best tasting banana breads I've ever made. My kids love it!
# Posted By cathy g | 9/4/13 7:59 PM

1 gallon
Grass-fed Bison Sirloin Steaks
Grass-fed Bison Sirloin Steaks
Grass-fed Beef Short Ribs
approx. 4.5 pounds (2 packages)
Short Ribs