It's that time of the year again. Well seasoned and not-so-well seasoned cooks are pulling out (maybe even dusting) their cookie sheets and getting ready to bake up a storm of cookies.

If you're one of them, Chocolate Crinkles must be on your list of to-bakes. Seriously. Their soft, fudgy, chocolate-y, rolled-in-powdered-sugar goodness is just too hard to pass up.

Watch the video here:

Now that wasn't too hard was it? And aren't they pretty? It looks like snow.

These cookies are both gluten and dairy free, but they are not limited to those who are gluten and dairy intolerant. They're really yummy, anyone will enjoy them.

Remember to adjust the bake time on these cookies depending on how large you roll the dough. If they're smaller then 1 inch, start out at 8 minutes. You want them to be slightly under-baked when you take them out so they can finish cooking all the way while sitting on the cookie sheet. So keep your greedy little fingers to yourself and let them cool (if that's even possible).

Enjoy everyone!

• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups gluten free flour mix*
  • 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Powdered sugar

Transfer melted chocolate to a medium sized bowl. Whisk in oil and sugar. Mix in eggs, one at a time. Whisk the vanilla in. Mixture should be thick.

Add the flour mix, xanthan gum, salt and baking powder. Mix everything together (should be the consistency of brownie batter). Refrigerate for an hour or more, until the mixture has firmed up.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place powdered sugar into a small bowl. Roll dough into small balls (dough should be stiff) and roll in powdered sugar. Place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet greased with palm shortening, and bake for 10-12 minutes (just until tops feel slightly firm). Let cool on sheet for 3 minutes before removing to wire rack.

*Gluten Free Flour Mix:

Makes 3 cups

Mix all ingredients together and use as directed.

Recipe by Sarah Shilhavy

I'd love to try these... but I don't have the gluten free flour mix. None of my family is... oh whatever its called that you can't have gluten, something with a c I know... so I've never had to not make something without gluten. :( What is xanthan gum? and do I need to find a special store to get brown rice flour? Or can I make it at home? :)
# Posted By Miss Rachel | 2/9/10 5:02 PM
Oh, you mean Celiac?

Xanthan gum is a type of stabilizer/thickener. It's often used as a substitute for gluten. You can order the brown rice flour from Tropical Traditions. You could also try making it yourself; I don't know exactly how (it's a soaking and milling process) but it can be done if you have a grain mill or strong blender. You could look it up. :)
# Posted By Sarah | 2/9/10 7:48 PM
Easy to find brown rice flour at any Co-Op or health food store. Many grocery stores are now carrying it as well - usually in a health food section or gluten-free section.
# Posted By Kathy | 4/28/10 1:00 PM
You can purchase organic brown rice flour from Tropical Traditions:
# Posted By Brian | 4/28/10 1:23 PM
I've made my own brown rice flour. You just grind it in a grain grinder like any other grain. I don't soak it ahead of time, because I soak all of my dough, but you can soak it for 7 hours in water and whey, dry it in the dehydrator till completely dry, then grind it. In this way, you could skip the soaking process before baking.
# Posted By Lisa | 5/31/10 10:26 AM
I love chocolate Crinkles. Haven't had them in ages and am anxious to try these.

I've had people in my family for a long time that need to be gluten free but I've never heard of soaking wheat before grinding/using and or soaking dough. What are we talking about?? Why do you soak it & how would you soak dough??? I know my mother used to make fresh gluten by soaking a flour & water dough, & then washing and washing until just the gluten was left (It was seasoned in the cooking process & was absolutely yummy) but I wouldn't think you'd want to do that with a recipe & ... you're trying to get away from gluten anyway ... right?
# Posted By Vickie Sage | 12/8/10 1:19 PM
I noticed there is 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum in both the main recipe and the gluten-free flour recipe. Do I use both or just the one in the GF flour recipe?
# Posted By Marcella | 1/27/11 9:23 AM
Yes, you use both amounts.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 1/27/11 1:14 PM
Yummy!
# Posted By Angie | 2/25/11 5:20 PM
I received chocolate crinkles from friend for Christmas.
They are REALLY good frozen. :)
# Posted By Angela | 2/2/12 10:38 AM
These look so good. I would need to make them for my family without sugar. Has anyone ever tried making them with stevia powder or liquid stevia?
# Posted By Kathleen | 7/15/12 10:52 PM
Where can I buy xanthan gum, and does brown rice flour contain arsenic? There are a lot of articles about arsenic being in rice and brown rice...
# Posted By Azucena L | 1/8/13 12:56 AM
I am off eating grain. Can I use another flour other than brown rice?
# Posted By Marianne | 8/23/13 3:37 PM
Sarah, This recipe goes back a bit, We all know that some of these ingredients are high in carbs and rice has it own gluten. So what about just using almond or coconut flours with out the other items. X. gum gives me a gluten reaction in my joints. How many eggs would I have to use when using coconut flour without all the carbs. I wish I was talented enough to remake this recipe to healthy with out all these carbs. I love them
# Posted By Kathy | 8/23/13 7:19 PM
Kathy: It wouldn't be so much the egg increase being the problem here. 100% coconut flour is VERY tricky to work with in cookies, and when you're going for a specific texture it's even more difficult (otherwise I would've just done 100% CF to begin with). This will result in a very cakey cookie, but try about 2/3 cup coconut flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup honey in replacement of the 1 cup sugar and 2 cups of flour mix. It may not work at first but at least it'll get you started in the right direction. Add another egg if the batter looks dry, and don't use any more sugar besides the honey if it starts getting too sweet.
# Posted By Sarah S. | 9/14/13 10:57 PM
January 2. 2014
Sarah-
I recently made these for my sister and my 91 year old aunt for Christmas. My aunt loves sweets and for so long, she and her Celiac Disease had to go without!!!! NO LONGER!!!! These are so yummy that I could have eaten the entire batch MYSELF (But, I restrained myself.....)
I will make them again and maybe not tell my family that they are gluten free.
# Posted By Linda M | 1/2/14 2:15 PM
Linda, that is wonderful, I'm so glad you all enjoyed them! If you liked these I'd recommend checking out the Gluten Free Fudge Cupcakes as well: http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/index.cfm/2010/8/9/gluten-free-coconut-fudge-cupcakes

You might enjoy those too. Happy and healthy new year to you and your family!
# Posted By Sarah S. | 1/4/14 11:05 PM

Benefect Hand Sanitizer
Benefect Botanical
Hand Sanitizer
until Sunday August 3rd
Chicken Steaks for Dogs
Raw Chicken Steaks for Dogs
18 pounds total (3 packages)
Raw Chicken Steaks
for Dogs
until Sunday August 3rd
Chicken Steaks for Cats
Raw Chicken Steaks for Cats
3.6 pounds total (3 packages)
Raw Chicken Steaks