Wheat Free Coconut Pancakes recipe photo
Wheat Free Coconut Pancakes
Photo by recipe author

Servings: Yields 5 palm-sized pancakes or 10 silver dollar-sized pancakes

Optional Add-In's :

• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 cup more water or nut milk only if the batter looks too dry/thick.

Blend first 4 ingredients in a blender. Let this sit for 10 minutes or so while you're getting the rest of the ingredients together. It will give the flax seeds time to gel, thereby producing an egg-like effect. The apple and banana help with this, too.

Add remaining ingredients and optional add-ins if desired and mix well.

After you have blended the ingredients, fry up the pancakes using 2 tablespoons coconut oil to fry with, about 4 minutes on the first side. Flip over and add 2 more tablespoons coconut oil and fry for 3 minutes or until done.

Recipe submitted by Averie, Phoenix, AZ

What a great looking dish. I can't wait to try it.
Pancakes for breakfast tomorrow thanks to Averie
# Posted By Louise | 3/4/10 8:13 PM
Looks Great Averie...thanks!
# Posted By Pam | 3/5/10 2:42 PM
I thought this looked delicious, but when I made it, the batter was too wet and they didn't really become pancakes. I even added in extra coconut flour because I thought 2 tablespoons seemed like way too little. Is there a misprint? I didn't add in baking powder or soda because I wasn't sure what effect that would have, and if I used one, if the other would be necessary. The intentions are totally delicious here, but what I ended up with was mush fried. Help!
# Posted By Emily | 3/6/10 11:50 AM
Emily: Did you let the first 4 ingredients sit and thicken and then blend the finished batter after adding the rest of the ingredients? The oats should be blended as well, making the batter thicker.
# Posted By Sarah | 3/6/10 12:38 PM
Emily I am not sure what to say other than to use less banana, use less apple, use less oil, fry longer, make them smaller and thinner when frying, add more flour... I hope that helps and I've had many people make these with great success...so hopefully just a little tweak and you'll be in business!
averie
# Posted By Averie | 3/6/10 12:57 PM
I just made these pancakes. I did add the extras and I agree completely with Emily. Is there a misprint in the recipe?
# Posted By Carmencita | 3/6/10 1:05 PM
No, I didn't. That wasn't clear to me in the instructions that i was to put the rest of the ingredients into the blender...it still seems like things would still be too wet. What effect would the baking powder/soda have on the mixture, and why are they optional?
# Posted By Emily | 3/6/10 1:20 PM
Okay, yeah. :) That's why it was so runny. It needs to sit and thicken for 10 minutes and then be blended again with the remaining ingredients. The baking soda/powder is a leavening ingredient, and will make the pancakes rise and fluff up more during the cooking process. They are optional because the recipe does not *need* them for it to turn out. It's just a nice addition if you want your pancakes "fluffier".
# Posted By Sarah | 3/6/10 1:40 PM
I did let the first mixture sit and thicken, I just didn't blend the rest of the ingredients with it. If you use baking soda vs powder, how do they effect the end result further? If you use one, is it necessary to use the other? I think it would be more clear if in the recipe you said to add the remaining ingredients to the blender and blend.. rather than mix well, if your intention was to blend them in the blender.
# Posted By Emily | 3/6/10 2:03 PM
I made these pancakes this morning, though tasty, they did not fluff even when adding the optional add-ins of milk, baking soda and powder. (I used coconut milk) I did let them sit for about 12-min before adding other ingredients. I had to let them cook longer than a regular pancake as stated, though thinking there is another equation to the baking powder and soda to make them rise better. Otherwise, it was more like a crepe I would say and I did roll it up in some natural PB.
# Posted By Jasmine | 3/16/10 11:24 AM
I made these this morning and they were yummy! It made about 16 silver dollar pancakes. The plate was clean in under five minutes! Next time I'm doubling the recipe! We topped them with Agave Nectar. Really, really good!
# Posted By Jen | 2/12/11 11:01 AM
I have had to try a lot of gluten free pancake recipes for my family and I am looking forward to trying this recipe. One thing I have learned from trial and error is that gluten free is not going to look or cook the same way as a wheat based product. I typically use flax seed meal instead of whole flax to substitute for the eggs (the ratio is on the side of the package). And if you don't allow the water and flax to blend it won't mix well. You can try substituting some oat flour for some of the coconut flour and see if that helps the wetness. I will be doing this and if I remember I will re-post the results. I made other recipes from this site and was very pleased!!
# Posted By Naomi | 5/2/12 11:17 PM
Sorry to tell you this Jen, but agave anything is bad for you. Its even worse than white Sugar...
# Posted By Therese | 7/14/13 3:20 AM
Just wanted to add a thought, I've read a few post that stated the form came out wrong for the pancakes. I'm making my second batch right now and realized in the instructions it says to add the remaining ingredients (which includes the coconut oil) but the first time I never add the coconut oil to the actual mixture only to the pan. The pancakes came out great!! Just wanted to make sure I read correctly, that the coconut oil was for the pan not the pancake mixture. In which I can see why it would turn out runny.
# Posted By Heather | 6/13/14 1:19 PM