Gluten Free Chocolate Brownies recipe photo
Gluten Free Chocolate Brownies
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy, Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

Servings: 24 brownies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch pan with coconut oil.

Melt chocolate and butter together over very low heat, stirring occasionally until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.

In a small bowl, mix flours and xanthan gum together.

Whisk eggs, sugars, and vanilla extract together. Slowly whisk in the chocolate mixture until well blended.

Using a rubber spatula, stir the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture until well blended and smooth.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until center is firm. Let cool for a couple minutes then cut and serve.

Recipe submitted by Sarah Shilhavy

What does the xanthan gum do for this recipe? Is it a thickener?
# Posted By Mary | 5/18/10 10:30 PM
It's a type of binder and helps make up for the lost gluten.
# Posted By Sarah | 5/19/10 12:10 PM
Can you substitute soaked/ground chia seed?
# Posted By Eva | 5/23/10 9:34 PM
For the xanthan gum? I have no clue...never tried it. It would probably work, go ahead and try it. Just keep in mind that xanthan gum is a whole lot more concentrated.
# Posted By Sarah | 5/24/10 12:51 AM
I have read that Glucomannan works as a substitute for Xanthan gum.
# Posted By Kelly | 6/2/10 2:12 PM
xanthan gum is very expensive so I substitute guarm gum which is more reasonably priced - it works just great as a binder
# Posted By cynthia | 7/2/10 11:48 PM
Guar gum will work (though it is a bit different then xanthan gum) but be sure to get the one that is labeled GF if you're GF.
# Posted By Sarah | 7/3/10 2:52 PM
You can't even tell that they are gluten free! They use just the right amount of chocolate, yum! These are the best gluten free brownies I have ever made, thank you so much for sharing your recipe, Sarah! =)
# Posted By Angie | 5/17/11 12:04 PM
I use ground chia seeds instead of xantham/guar gum all the time. Not only does it add a lot of nutrition to the recipe, it is a super binder. I've been using chia seeds in GF yeasted English muffins, and hamburger buns, with fantastic results. I think the chia really cuts down on the crumbles associated with GF baking
# Posted By Lisa | 1/13/12 12:05 PM
I'm really interested to hear that you can use chia seeds as an alternative to xantham and/or guar gum. I'm hoping somebody might be able to fill me in on the specifics - as in, if it says 1 teaspoon of xantham gum do you just add 1 teaspoon of chia seeds? Or do you mix 1 teaspoon of chia seeds with a bit of water and let it sit for a bit to form a gel?

Any advice greatly appreciated :-)
# Posted By Ria | 7/17/12 7:10 AM
I have the same question since I also
would like to avoid guar gum or xantam gum and use chia seeds instead.
# Posted By Carin B-H | 11/30/12 10:44 PM
I have found xanthan gum at Meijer and WalMart in small packets for around 60 cents.
# Posted By Lynda | 8/13/13 7:58 PM
Hi- it seemed I had trouble knowing if these brownies were done. I just finished baking them, so I won't know for sure, but how did you test for doneness on these?
# Posted By Jill | 8/16/13 1:31 PM
Can I use Hershey's dark cocoa powder for the chocolate? It's what I have been using for my "regular" brownies.
thanks!
# Posted By Marguerite | 2/25/14 9:17 PM
In reference to "Posted By Lisa | 1/13/12 12:05 PM" could you elaborate on the amount of ground chia seeds you might use in relation to the amount of non-wheat flour you use. I really need a solution to making yeast risen bread with Buckwheat or Almond flour or Coconut flour. I have tried using these flours with yeast to make bread and the yeast gas just leaks out leaving the bread un-risen and very dense. I'm sure I need something that replaces the gluten's sealing effect and ground chia seeds would be very good if I can make it work.
# Posted By Edward | 9/28/14 7:59 PM