Ahhh....the recipe you've all been waiting for. Well, maybe not all of you but some of you for sure.

When I posted the first Toasted Coconut Ginger Blondies recipe I promised a gluten free version. So here it is. I was very happy at how they turned out; creamy and moist with a nice chewy texture and toasty crunch from the toasted coconut on top. My mouth is full of said blondies as I type. Seriously.

You can use something else instead of ginger (like chocolate chips or nuts).But that's up to you. I just wanted to get rid of the rest of our candied ginger, so in they went.

Were you waiting for this recipe? Are you going to make it now? Tell me, I'd love to hear from you!

Sarah:)

Gluten Free Toasted Coconut Ginger Blondies

Gluten Free Toasted Coconut Ginger Blondies recipe photo
Gluten Free Toasted Coconut Ginger Blondies
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy, Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

Servings: 20 bars

• 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 stick) salted butter, melted
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons organic raw whole milk or coconut milk*
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/4 cups flour mix (see below)
  • 1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger
  • 1/2 – 1 cup flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 7x11 inch pan with coconut oil.

Mix melted butter and sugar together in a medium sized bowl. Beat in vanilla, eggs and milk until well blended.

Mix remaining ingredients except for the flaked coconut into the egg mix until well blended. Pour into prepared pan and smooth the top out. Sprinkle with flaked coconut.

Bake blondies until golden brown and coconut is toasted, about 20 minutes.

Gluten Free Flour Mix:

Mix all ingredients together until well blended. Use as directed.

* For the freshest coconut milk make homemade coconut milk. (See video at this link.)

Recipe courtesy Sarah Shilhavy

This sounds great! Can't wait to try it!
# Posted By Kathy | 5/13/10 6:00 PM
Thanks Kathy! Let me know how you like it. :)
# Posted By Sarah | 5/13/10 10:19 PM
Mmm... num! I made it yesterday! I have to say, I am happy I topped it with 1/2 cup of allergen-free organic chocolate chips (with 10 mins left in the oven), b/c my son, his friend and I all have a chocolate-sweet-tooth these days!

Mine turned out a bit underdone after 23 mins, so I put in for an extra 5. Might be just our prob though if our oven temp is off - i don't know anymore b/c our oven thermometer got off calibration, and I don't know how to recalibrate 200 deg F.

I used a hair under 1/2 cup ginger b/c I am serving this to a 3 yr old -but I could have used correct amount and been fine, but wasn't sure if it would be too spicy. For adults only, I bet you could use 1/4 cup more (3/4 total) for a little kick. I also would be tempted to add chopped nuts, possibly slivered almonds or hazelnuts - I think some crunch would go well in this.

Definitely worth making! My gluten-free roommate was overjoyed! And so were I and my child - thank you!!!
# Posted By Carrie Anne | 5/16/10 12:07 AM
That's great! Thanks Carrie! I'm so thrilled that you all liked them.
# Posted By Sarah | 5/16/10 1:06 PM
sounds great but
how can coconut oil be substituted for butter?
thanks
# Posted By Gloria | 5/17/10 7:34 AM
Gloria: It's a one to one ratio. The recipe calls for 12 tablespoons of butter so you use 12 tablespoons of coconut oil. It helps to add just a tiny bit of water too since butter contains some water whereas coconut oil does not. I would use about 1/4 teaspoon of water or so.
# Posted By Sarah | 5/18/10 12:19 PM
Love this recipe! Mine turned out delicious! I had shredded coconut on hand instead of flakes, so I had a fine toasty layer of coconut on top of mine.
# Posted By Sandra | 3/4/11 12:42 PM
Can you use spelt flour in the "Gluten Free Flour Mix" instead of brown rice flour?
# Posted By kelly | 7/30/11 7:50 PM
Spelt is not gluten-free...
# Posted By Carrie | 8/5/11 1:59 PM
What other type of "gluten-free" flour could be substituted that has a lower net carb load than brown rice flour?
# Posted By Kelli | 8/5/11 10:32 PM
No offense, but if you're seeking lower net carbs, you probably shouldn't be making this recipe... But I would guess quinoa (high protein).
# Posted By Carrie Anne | 8/10/11 9:57 PM
This looks great and I can't wait to make it. Can palm oil be substituted for butter? My son is dairy allergic as well. If yes, is the substitution 1:1? Thank you.
# Posted By Adina | 2/5/12 8:44 AM
Unfortunately, some of us with Celiac disease cannot tolerate any corn products either...I may try these with my own GF flour blend and let you know of the outcome....they look wonderful other than containing corn starch.
# Posted By Christine | 6/5/12 3:31 PM
You could try tapioca starch instead, both starches tend to react the same way in baked goods.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 6/5/12 4:11 PM
How many calories is it?
# Posted By Angela | 6/14/12 8:59 PM
Recipe looks great but I can't find the 'Printer Friendly" button to print it out. Can you please make it more prominent?
Thanks.
# Posted By kmh | 6/23/12 2:44 PM
Do you think honey could be substituted for the brown sugar?
# Posted By Kristin | 8/8/12 10:33 PM
I am milk, egg, and gluten free, so I am always looking for good recipes. I am going to try this with coconut oil. It looks wonderful, and coconut oil always adds to the taste of baking if you love coconut, as I do. Plus, it's good for you!
# Posted By Patricia S | 10/28/13 4:18 PM
I would also like to know if this will work with honey instead of brown sugar. I am thinking 1/2 cup of honey would work, with maybe a tablespoon of barley malt syrup for more of the "brown sugar" taste. But I am assuming the amount of flour mix would have to be increased just a bit. If anyone has tried this, I would love to know how you modified the recipe.
# Posted By Rhonda | 12/10/13 10:16 AM
Please don't sub malted barley syrup unless you're not making these gluten-free! Barley has gluten in it! I'm sure honey would work, but obviously it will taste slightly different (and there are so many variations of honey too!) I would use a hint of molasses if you want the brown sugar taste.
# Posted By Salubrious B | 12/13/13 1:16 PM
I am asking if I could use less eggs and replace with ground Chia seeds instead>
# Posted By Marsha | 1/24/14 10:41 AM