I honestly don't know what exactly I was expecting when I baked these, but they weren't what I thought they'd be. They totally surprised me.

The texture is light, almost creamy, very coconutty, and moist. The "bite" and overall texture is like a wheat brownie. The appearance even, is just like a wheat brownie. Even the top baked up shiny and flakey. What's more, they popped right out of the glass pan without any fuss. I like that.

The batter will mix and come together easily if you soften the Coconut Cream Concentrate to peanut butter consistency first. It also helps to bring the eggs to room temperature as well. Depending on how warm your CCC is, you may or may not end up with stubborn little lumps that will refuse to totally mix in. Don't let it get to you. They'll still be delicious.

Mine have little lumps. And they're delicious.

I haven't tried the blondie version yet but I can assure you it's just as delicious as the brownies.

Which one will you make?

Sarah:)

Gluten Free Coconut Brownies (or Blondies)

Gluten Free Coconut Brownies recipe photo
Gluten Free Coconut Brownies
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy, Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

Servings: 18 squares

1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees (300 for convection oven). Grease a 9x9 or 12x8 pan.

2. In a large bowl measure out all ingredients and mix until combined. Pour into prepared pan and bake 20-25 minutes. Try not to over bake; the top will be slightly crispy and the middle is fudgey.

* I usually use 2 eggs to achieve a silky, ribbon-y look, but sometimes I have to use 3 eggs to completely emulsify the batter.

** I prefer a less sweet brownie, especially since I always put chocolate chips into my brownies, so I actually only use 1/3 cup of honey, but I find that when I bake for others they are used to a sweeter baked good.

***For Blondies, omit cocoa. This will have a stronger coconut flavor than the brownies.

Recipe submitted by Marisa, San Jose, CA

I made these last night and they are amazing! I subbed 1/4 cup of xylitol and 5 droppers of stevia glycerite for the honey because I'm diabetic. This lowered the liquid, so I added a 4th egg and about 1/4 cup of water and they turned out with a thick cake texture (as opposed to fudgey).

Delicious! Thanks for the great recipe!!!
# Posted By Katie | 5/7/10 9:06 AM
this looks really good!
# Posted By teresa | 5/17/10 8:19 AM
In the recipe for Gluten Free Coconut Brownies or Blondies what binds the ingredients together. I didn't see any flour. Thanks!
# Posted By Monica | 8/16/10 6:00 PM
Monica: The "binder" is the eggs and honey. The ingredient that takes the role of "flour" is the Coconut Cream Concentrate, which is similar to peanut butter but has much more fiber and is much thicker and firmer (it will get rock hard in cold temperatures, that's why you need to melt it down first).
# Posted By Sarah | 8/16/10 6:39 PM
Thank you! I have just spent a couple of hours copying and pasting recipes for my son to copy so we can try. They look and sound fabulous! Thank you, also, for the wonderful and super simple to follow videos for all us visual folks! ?
# Posted By Monica | 8/17/10 8:07 AM
Oh! These just look divine! Mmmm...I can see them coming to a near future near me! : )
# Posted By Angela | 9/30/10 11:39 AM
How can I make these non-gluten free?
# Posted By Sharon | 9/30/10 12:49 PM
These are AMAZING!!!! So yummy!
# Posted By Kendra | 1/6/11 5:39 PM
It is SO hard to find good gluten-free baked products and recipes. These are the best I've had in YEARS. Thank you so much for a recipe I know we'll use again and again! DELICIOUS!
# Posted By Renee | 5/1/11 8:17 PM
These are definitely tasty but didn't rise very much and are a bit crumbly. Next time I may cut back a bit on the coconut and add another egg and some almond flour.
# Posted By Geetz | 6/18/11 10:49 PM
@Geetz I find that if the batter looks grainy, the final product will be crumbly. To remedy this, add another egg. The batter should look thick like a chocolate frosting. I'm sorry they didn't turn out - I know how expensive CCC is. When the brownie is crumbly like that, I usually turn it into a trifle, layering the brownie between coconut milk pudding and whipped cream. Or as a brownie topping on coconut milk ice cream.
# Posted By Marisa | 9/8/11 12:03 AM
These are very, very good! I used two eggs and agave nectar instead of honey. Very moist without being sticky or soggy.
# Posted By Susanne | 9/11/11 12:35 PM
I am looking forward to trying these brownies. My children are following a Paleo diet so when they visit at Christmas, I will have a great dessert for them.
# Posted By Nancy | 9/20/11 10:42 AM
I don't usually comment, but these were so good I just had to say something! Since I'm diabetic I used 1 Tbsp xylitol and 1 Tbsp agave. This made them barely sweet, but I'm very sensitive to sweetness since cutting out all sugar. I'm going to add 1/4 cup of butter or coconut oil to the batter next time to compensate for the missing liquid and make them a bit gooier.
# Posted By anna | 10/25/11 5:25 PM
NOTHING I have made from here turns out anything like these yummy looking pictures. very discouraged. do not know why. I did everything like it said. only difference did not add the choc. chips. But I may try again.....
# Posted By Linda | 4/20/12 2:14 PM
Linda,

I totally feel for you! I know how expensive everything is, and how disappointing things are when they don't come out right! For this particular recipe, I would urge you to use more eggs - 1-2 extra eggs. The issues I have with this recipe is that if I don't use enough eggs, the end result is a crumbly, grainy texture. The more eggs, the more "bready" it becomes. Because I know the ingredients are good, I will try to repurpose the brownies if they don't turn out - like a topping for a coconut-milk ice cream sundae. I also like to layer messed up baked goods with many other ingredients in a trifle (anything sandwiched between whipped cream is yummy). Don't be disheartened - you are not alone! - Marisa
# Posted By Marisa | 4/20/12 4:14 PM
These are wonderful brownies. I made them today with my kids and they are delicious.
# Posted By Cathy | 4/28/12 4:57 PM
We made the blondies (ran out of cocoa!) and they were AMAZING!!!! Can't wait to try the chocolate version. Thanks so much for your awesome recipes!!
# Posted By Erica | 6/6/12 9:03 AM
I just made these -- used four eggs because I was afraid of the possibility of crumbliness (we have enough problems with crumbs -- three children!) and with 1/2 c. agave nectar (just didn't have enough syrup or honey, need to get rid of the nectar) and they have a very neat texture -- really like a cake, not fudgey at all, very soft, sliced up beautifully. I didn't have any choc. chips either, but I would say 1/2 c. is minimum on sweetener if you have people with average palates, especially if you have no choc chips. I love these, keeper, thank you!
# Posted By Cat | 9/17/12 4:12 PM
Hi. I've tried several GF brownie recipes lately and haven't been overly impressed with any of them. I'm going to try this recipe next and hope it works for me. The photo looks a lot like regular brownies.

I don't know how sticky this batter will be, but with the other brownies I made I could hardly spread the batter because it clung to the spoon so badly. So I wanted to share a trick I used that helps. Dump the brownies into the pan (I butter it and sprinkle with sugar so they don't stick) and take a piece of plastic wrap that fits the pan and put it over the pan and batter. Working over the wrap, spread the batter evenly using your hands. Then peel off the wrap! It works great.

Also, just a little suggestion here...my nutritionist has warned me to avoid xylitol and agave nectar. Xylitol is toxic and agave nectar is akin to high fructose corn syrup. You can add powdered (green) stevia for baked goods to make them sweet. You can also add 25-30 drops to a recipe like this if you want an extra sweetener boost without the extra sugar. Adding cream of tartar (potassium) can also help your body balance the sugars. I plan to use palm sugar syrup, which my nutritionist said is one of the best sugars to use and I seem to digest it just fine, even though I am very sensitive to processed sugar. I also use organic brown sugar and turbinado which also digest easily.

Thanks for the recipe.
# Posted By Dakotah | 9/26/12 2:58 PM
Why is xylitol toxic? The last I heard, it's only dangerous for dogs, not people.
# Posted By Anna | 10/8/12 9:16 AM
These are absolutely to die for!! Can't believe they turned out, they are amazing! We as a family are going wheat free and this will be our new dessert. I used 3 eggs and 1/3 C manuka honey, when my manuka runs out, I'll use tropical traditions raw honey and only 1/4 C next time. They are light and fluffy, very moist. I just ordered two more large jars of coconut cream concentrate so I can always make these!
# Posted By Prudence | 10/15/12 5:49 PM
Thank you for posting this. I just ordered the coconut cream so I can make these. Could you post your coconut pudding recipe? I would love to make it. The only tasty dairy free pudding recipe that I have found has been rice pudding made with coconut milk. I love pudding and would like another option. Thank you!
# Posted By Adrienne | 1/28/13 12:01 PM
So I just made these last night and mine were not crumbly at all but came out more like a custard. They were very runny and not tasty at all. I checked the ingredients 5 times to make sure I did everything right. Does anyone know what could have gone wrong? I even cooked then 15 minutes longer than the recommended time to try to firm them up to no avail :(
# Posted By Diana | 2/4/13 2:58 PM
I made these last night using 3 eggs, only 1/4 cup honey and 2 tbls coconut oil for more moisture. I was afaid to use another egg for fear it would ruin the batter. They are delicious!
# Posted By Barb | 9/7/13 10:23 AM
These look great and I can't wait to try them. I make my own Coconut Cream from shredded coconut so it helps save a little on expenses. Also want to try to make a bread using just the coconut cream as a flour and see what happens. Has anyone else tried to use coconut cream as a base for bread yet? If it works out well, I will post it.
# Posted By Marianne | 10/31/13 10:30 AM
These are the most delicious brownies ever! I will never use any other recipe. I followed the recipe as written, but omitted the choc. chips. The batter comes out perfect if you first beat the eggs well, then whip in the CCC and honey. Follow with the other ingredients. I think people might have had problems with texture because they overcooked them----I took them out after 19 minutes and they were perfect. Thank you so much for this recipe!
# Posted By Maggie K | 5/15/14 1:30 AM