As you may already know, my main goal in making GF recipes is foolproof-ness; I don't want it to just look like their gluten cousins, they have to taste like them too.

I think this cookie really nails that. Not only does it look exactly like the classic wheat flour chocolate chip cookie, it tastes just like it too. Even the cookie dough is great. The baked cookie though is moist, chewy, slight crisp outside and that wheat-like bite. An experienced taste bud may pick up on the slight gritty texture of the brown rice flour but unless you're thinking about it and know what brown rice flour is like you'd never know. If the slight grittiness bothers you, try sifting the flour through a very fine sieve before measuring.

When you watch the video below and read the recipe you'll see that I have unsalted butter and salt listed in the ingredient list. Well, you don't *need* to use unsalted butter. I usually just do salted butter and omit the salt.

So, are you hungry for cookies yet? Let the video take you through the whole process, then whip up a batch yourself (and let us know what you think). And if you decide not to tell anyone else these are GF, then that's okay. They'll never know. But it is kinda cool to see their faces if you do decide to tell them after they've devoured more then their share...

Enjoy!

Sarah:)

Chewy Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chewy Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe photo
Chewy Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy, Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

These cookies are excellent. They're perfectly crisp on the outside, and chewy on the inside. It's hard to tell that they're not made from wheat!

Servings: approx. 3 dozen cookies
Preparation Time: 15 minutes, plus 1/2 - 1 hour chilling time

Pour melted butter into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.

In a separate bowl, stir the coconut flour, tapioca, cornstarch, rice flour, salt, xanthan gum, and baking soda together. Set aside.

Add the sugars to butter and cream together on medium speed for about 1 minute. Add egg, egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract. Beat until well combined. Add flour mixture by heaping 1/4 cupfuls until well combined. Add chocolate chips and stir to combine.

Chill the dough in the refrigerator until firm, about 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper

Shape the dough into approximately 1 oz balls and place on prepared cookie sheets. Flatten tops slightly if desired.

Bake for 7 - 10 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through baking for even browning. Cool the cookies on the sheets for 2 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.

Variation: Add about 1 1/2 cups of dried, unsweetened flaked coconut to the dough for Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies.

Recipe courtesy Sarah Shilhavy

Is it imperative to use parchment paper with this recipe?
# Posted By Sandy | 12/22/09 10:59 PM
Nope. It's just really handy; keeps the cookie sheets clean (which means one won't have to wash them ;) and the cookies won't stick. Ever. If you don't have any on hand though just grease the sheets with palm shortening or coconut oil.
# Posted By Sarah | 12/22/09 11:21 PM
This looks good and I want to make them. Can you advise how I can convert the ounce measurements shown to units of measure, e.g. tablespoons, cups, etc. Thanks!
# Posted By Matt | 1/17/10 1:32 AM
8 oz unsalted butter, melted (you can use part palm shortening if desired) - 1 cup

1/2 oz tapioca flour/starch – 2 tablespoons

1 1/4 oz corn starch - ¼ cup

9 oz brown rice flour – 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons

2 oz coconut flour - 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon

1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt

1 teaspoon xanthan gum

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 oz granulated sugar – ¼ cup

8 ounces brown sugar – 1 cup

1 egg

1 egg yolk

2 tablespoons whole milk

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

9 - 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

Those are the conversions for the recipe. Please keep in mind that all the conversions are just approximate, you really can't give an accurate weight to cup measurement as a cup measurement will be different every time. So I can't guarantee that the recipe will turn out using the conversions or that it will be the same.
# Posted By Sarah | 1/18/10 12:23 PM
My mixer does not have a paddle attachment. Can I use the regular beater in order to make these Chocolate Chip cookies?
# Posted By Deborah | 1/30/10 10:01 AM
Yes. Unless you're making meringue or whipped cream or something of the sort it really won't matter so long as you're using regular whisk-like beaters or a paddle and not a balloon whisk.
# Posted By Sarah | 1/30/10 7:09 PM
I made these cookies and they were delicious! Some of my friends want to know if there's a less grainy tasting option than rice flour. Can I substitute oat flour for the rice flour?
# Posted By Deborah | 2/10/10 3:54 PM
Humm... don't know; maybe. Never tried it. If you don't want the grainy texture just sift the rice flour.
# Posted By Sarah | 2/10/10 8:36 PM
Can you replace the butter with coconut oil?
# Posted By brenda | 5/31/10 3:19 PM
Generally yes, you can replace butter with coconut oil. I've never tried it here. Add a tiny bit of water to the oil (around 1/4 teaspoon or so) since butter contains a little bit of water.
# Posted By Sarah | 6/1/10 12:31 AM
Has anyone tried this with egg replacers?
# Posted By Tam | 6/1/10 9:06 AM
have you made any of you recipes using sugar free options like agave syrup or stevia? I am looking for gluten free and sugar free.
# Posted By Linda | 3/17/12 1:01 PM
Not a fan of agave. It's highly processed and contains more fructose than high fructose corn syrup. We do have recipes that use other sweeteners like maple syrup, honey, brown rice syrup, etc. It just depends on what you're looking for.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 3/17/12 7:20 PM
Potato flour is a great substitute....very smooth
# Posted By Jan | 5/2/12 1:33 PM
What can I use in liue of the corn starch and xatham gum? Thanks
# Posted By Karina | 5/2/12 2:06 PM
Also in liue of whole milk? Thank you!
# Posted By Karina | 5/2/12 2:07 PM
This biscuits are so good. Even my bf who is not gluten free loved these and kept coming back for more! Will be definately making these again. They are best warm also!
# Posted By Steph | 7/15/12 5:35 AM
Is cornstarch a good sub for the xanthan gum? Never used xanthan gum before so I'm not familiar. Plus, I have all other ingredients on hand. Thanks so much.
# Posted By Dana | 8/8/12 10:23 PM
Oh boy. I just noticed that cornstarch is already an ingredient so my original question to sub the xanthan gum for cs doesn't make sense. Hmm. Well, if there is a good sub, perhaps you could share when you have the chance. Again, thanks so much.
# Posted By Dana | 8/8/12 10:27 PM
Dana: Guar gum would work, but if you don't have that either perhaps ground flax or chia may do the trick (use 2 teaspoons).
# Posted By Sarah:) | 8/9/12 12:33 AM
Do you know if egg substitute can be used, or flax gel, apple sauce?
Thanks!
# Posted By Leslie | 6/10/13 12:30 AM
Just made these tonight. They turned out great. I had to substitute rice milk for the whole (dairy) milk ('cause it's all I had in the kitchen) but it was no problem. Delicious cookies!
# Posted By Tara | 7/1/13 2:23 AM
These were awesomely delicious! Thank you! I used an egg replacer ... 1/2 cup of applesauce instead of both eggs...and instead of whole milk I used soy milk... It turned out great!
# Posted By Jojo | 7/22/13 1:27 PM
I am making these right now and I put them in balls on a foil-lined cookie sheet. They remained as balls rather than melting into cookie shape like I am used to cookie dough doing. Then I pressed them down with a spoon, but they are taking ages to cook. What's wrong?
# Posted By simone | 11/28/13 11:09 PM
For sugar free cookies that are still chewy, use erythritol spiked with a concentrated non-caloric sweetener that can take heat like Splenda or stevia (I am allergic to stevia, so Splenda works for me). Usually where brown sugar is normally used, I try to add a small amount of molasses to enrich the taste
# Posted By Pat K | 12/19/13 9:59 PM