Coconut Crunch Muffins recipe photo
Coconut Crunch Muffins
Photo by recipe author

Preparation Time: 10 minutes plus 25-30 minutes baking time

MUFFINS:

TOPPING:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or line with paper liners.

2. MUFFINS: Combine milk and lemon juice in a large bowl; milk will thicken. Whisk in next 5 ingredients until well combined. Add next 5 ingredients. Add frozen fruit and stir lightly until just combined into the batter. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

3. TOPPING: Sprinkle each muffin with 1 tablespoon toasted coconut.

4. Bake in a preheated oven 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let muffins sit for 10-15 minutes before removing from pan. Cool on a wire rack.

Recipe submitted by Agnes, Schaumburg, IL

these sound yummy - but surely one could use coconut oil instead of butter for the fat?? I'm on the lookout for recipe which do so, and this looks like it could've been a prime candidate?!
# Posted By R K | 6/2/10 9:01 PM
Yes, you can use coconut oil instead of butter. Whenever the fat in question is going to be used in a liquid state in the recipe you're almost always safe substituting coconut oil for it.
# Posted By Sarah | 6/2/10 9:49 PM
I use coconut oil in my muffins. It makes a light textured yummier version in baked goods especially cookies.
# Posted By diane | 6/3/10 6:43 PM
Please remember that butter has been unfairly maligned as a bad fat. Butter from the milk of grass-fed cows, such as what Tropical Traditions sells on their GrassfedTraditions.com website, is very healthy.
# Posted By Brian | 6/3/10 6:48 PM
When you do substitute another fat for butter, you have to take into account the water content of the butter. Sometimes recipes might get lighter, but sometimes you just get a crumbly, flat mess. Many ingredients rely on water/steam to undergo their magical transformation in the oven. Baking is a science first, art second.
# Posted By Jennifer | 10/23/10 3:39 PM
I made this for a brunch with friends today. Two weird things happened: the consistency (before adding the berry mix) was like cookie dough. I went back over the recipe step by step and did not make any errors that I could recall (no extra flour, etc.). So I ended up adding milk until it could be stirred. It was still super thick when I put it in the muffin pans and I was so afraid they would not turn out. Then the recipe made 18 muffins, not 12. Somehow they turned out awesome and were delicious! The top was a bit too brown as they required the full baking time due to the extra milk, but they were not burned. I will make them again!
# Posted By Lisa | 12/31/10 8:08 PM
I just made these again, following the exact instructions (in case I made a mistake last time) and the same thing happened--the batter was like cookie dough. This time I added a small amount of milk, but left the dough thick. It was not near as good as the previous batch (when I added milk until the batter could be stirred). Next time I will use less flour and see what happens. I am in New Mexico--maybe the high altitude is the culprit? They are still good though as this appears to be a forgivable recipe!
# Posted By Lisa | 1/8/11 4:37 PM