No Bake Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Cookies recipe photo
No Bake Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy, Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

Servings: approximately 24 cookies

Combine sugar, cocoa, coconut oil and milk in a saucepan. On medium heat, bring to a boil. Once mixture has reached a rolling boil, boil for exactly 1 minute.

Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter and oatmeal. Also stir in shredded coconut if using.

Drop by spoonful onto wax paper. Let cool for at least 30 minutes (place in refrigerator after cooled at room temperature for faster firming). The cookies will become more firm as they sit longer.

Makes approximately 24 cookies, depending on size. Store in refrigerator.

Recipe submitted by Cindy, Forreston, IL

My family have been making no bake chocolate cookies like these for over 45 years. We always use butter in ours. How is it with coconut oil instead? Or have you tried it with butter?

I'll give these a try.

Chuck
# Posted By Chuck | 6/28/10 3:52 PM
I used to make an unhealthy comparable to this when I was a kid......and LOVED it! Wondering...I can't tolerate cow's milk. Would unsweetened almond milk or rice milk work okay in this? Also, will rapadura work okay for the sugar? It tends to have a caramely, brown sugar taste. Will those substitutions be okay or do you think they'll affect the end product? Thanks for your wonderful website & recipes! It's a blessing! Blessings backatchya, Jill in PA
# Posted By Jill | 6/28/10 4:38 PM
Chuck: It's great with coconut oil or butter, give it a try. With coconut oil it hardens up faster.

Jill: Yes, those would work. I'm so glad our site and recipes are a blessing to you! :)
# Posted By Sarah | 6/28/10 8:11 PM
I thought that these were missing something, so I added more peanut butter, more coconut, and then some raw honey. The raw honey is what really made these for me. I would make them again.
# Posted By Kelly | 6/29/10 9:47 PM
Kelly: How much raw honey did you add in addition to the sugar in the original recipe? My kids & I thought these lacked sweetness & had an unsweet dark chocolate taste to them (which we don't care for). I think adding the honey would be a huge help.
# Posted By Jill | 7/2/10 6:01 AM
My advice: Let the cookies sit for a couple of days before trying for best flavor. Those original cookies I made that tasted to bitter to us the day of making (after being in the fridge)......now, after sitting in the fridge a couple days, taste very good! I think they could still use a small amount more sweetener (will try adding a little raw honey). But they are very good even without it now. I guess the tastes needed time to meld together. Just thought I'd mention. Yahoo for a healthy, easy treat!
# Posted By Jill | 7/5/10 9:38 AM
I think I'll make these with coconut milk or maybe almond milk. I think I'll even try a raw version made with home-rolled oats, raw cacao, raw almond butter, and agave or coconut sugar as a sweetener.
# Posted By Kim | 7/5/10 3:10 PM
Would these harden with a liquid sweetener, such as vegetable glycerin, since I
am supposed to avoid sugar?
# Posted By Linda | 7/6/10 7:26 PM
I thought they were tastY :) For some reason mine did not harden. I followed the recipe exactly, but I did use 1% milk. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Thank you for the recipe!
# Posted By jody | 8/2/10 9:27 PM
I was wondering if this would work with Splenda as the sweetner, would it still harden up? Also, I would like to make them with vanilla almond milk, the raw honey, and splenda, i think that would be delicious. Has anyone made them with the almond milk and had success?
# Posted By David | 9/9/10 9:32 PM
David: I would stay far away from splenda. It's totally not healthy.
# Posted By Sarah | 9/9/10 10:32 PM
David, I made my cookies raw and used homemade almond milk. They were delicious.
# Posted By Kim | 9/10/10 4:19 PM
Terrific! Thank you! Now I don't have to make these with butter like I used to! Delicious with chunky peanut butter and coconut. Quick, Easy, one pan to wash!
# Posted By Caroline | 4/16/11 2:58 PM
i think that these are fantastic! i added some CCC, coconut, vanilla and salt and they taste like really expensive cookies that we got on the cape. thank you for the recipe!
# Posted By aimee | 8/14/11 8:30 AM
oh! and raw honey instead of sugar :)
# Posted By aimee | 8/14/11 8:31 AM
and raw cream instead of milk.
# Posted By aimee | 8/14/11 8:32 AM
I made this low carb by using Truvia (1/8 cup), coconut milk and omitting the oatmeal and using more coconut flakes and added some sunflower seeds for a little more crunch. Yummy!
# Posted By Melissa | 8/17/11 5:38 AM
I just made these using unsweetened almond milk & almond butter and they are SO delicious! I also used half chocolate protein powder and half unsweetened dutch cocoa. Amazing! I think they would be good rolled in shredded coconut, before they harden. Yum!
# Posted By Lindsay | 3/10/12 2:30 PM
This is such a great recipe, and it's super easy to play around with it. I added some chia seeds and hemp seeds for an extra boost of nutrition.
# Posted By Debra | 5/28/14 6:18 PM