Gluten Free Coconut Flour Gingerbread recipe photo
Gluten Free Coconut Flour Gingerbread
Photo by recipe author

• 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour (you can also use buckwheat or even almond flour)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk*
  • 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
  • 1/4 + 1/8 cup raw honey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.

In a large bowl combine eggs, coconut milk, coconut oil and honey. Whisk together. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly until all clumps have disappeared.

Grease an 8×8 inch glass baking pan (or a small loaf pan) with coconut oil and fill pan with batter.

Bake in a pre-heated oven for 40 minutes, or until firm to the touch, or when a toothpick or fork tine inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool completely. Top with cream cheese frosting and sprinkle with extra ginger, cinnamon and organic sugar.

* For the freshest coconut milk make homemade coconut milk. (See video at this link.)

Recipe submitted by Brandon, Dallas, TX

I'm wondering if it is possible to use egg replacer in this recipe. I sent the recipe to afriend but she cannot have eggs and would really like to make this recipe. Any suggestiona wold be helpful.thanks. I love all the recipes. I just wish I could use coconut flour. I have. kidney disease and I'm on a low phosphrus and potassuim diet and I'm not supposed to eat coconut. I use cocnut oil in most of my baking though. thanks again. Sharna
# Posted By sharna | 8/5/10 12:14 PM
Hi Sharna,

I haven't tried this without eggs, just because eggs in this recipe the eggs provide a leavening agent and helps it rise. It also adds extra liquid to the recipe, which coconut flour needs, as well as a structural support similar to gluten.

If your friend tries it with an egg replacer, be sure to let her know that she needs about 3/4 cup of liquid to replace the liquid from the eggs. Also, have her add about 1/2 a tsp of guar or xanthan gum for the gluten, as well as about 1 tsp. of baking powder to the mixture for the extra leavening agent. I am only guessing at this, so it will have to go through some experimentation.

I hope that helps!
# Posted By Brandon | 8/5/10 1:35 PM
I made this for breakfast for my two celiac toddlers and myself (also celiac), using the almond flour option. Instead of baking it in a bread pan, I baked it in a silicone muffin pan shaped like leaves and pumpkins. I sprinkled it with a little organic powdered sugar, and my two little ones are devouring them as I type this. They were delicious. I did substitute maple syrup and mollasses for the raw honey, as I don't like to use raw honey for baking as it de-activates the enzymes, and I love mollasses in gingerbread for the taste and extra iron. Thanks for this recipe! It will be a fall staple.
# Posted By Lisa | 10/5/10 7:55 AM
Thank you Lisa, that comment made me so happy! It's a great Fall/Autumn treat in the morning. :)
# Posted By Brandon | 10/5/10 11:35 AM
WOW! I made this just as the recipe says, only I added a bit of chopped crystalized ginger to it. My is it ever good! I want to try with almond meal next. Thank you for sharing this YUMMY recipe:)
# Posted By Polly | 11/25/10 7:41 AM
Made this today with almond flour and molasses, per a previous commenter, and it was delicious! Just had a slice with heavy cream poured on top - definitely a Christmas-season indulgence. Thank you for the great recipe!
# Posted By kla | 12/2/11 1:14 PM
I've made 2 batches of this in the past 3 days. It's VERY good. Used molasses and honey combined to sweeten it and my family loves it. Thank you!
# Posted By Megan | 12/7/11 12:07 PM
This made a wonderful tasting bread!
# Posted By Rachelle | 4/1/14 3:13 PM