This recipe makes an excellent pie crust. It's flakey, tender, crunchy and buttery all at once.

The key is to keep the coconut oil and butter super cold and handle the dough as little as possible. Once you measure the coconut oil (and butter, if using) stick it in the freezer for a few minutes. Then, as you cut it into the flour and salt stop as soon as it begins to resemble irregular pea sized (or slightly bigger) clumps.

The water needs to be very cold, so use cold water with ice cubes. As you stir the water into the flour, stop once it forms into a crumbly dough. At this point turn it out unto a flour surface and knead just until it looks fairly smooth, but still shaggy (add a little more water if need be). At this point you can roll it out on parchment or wax paper dusted with flour, as I like to do since there's no worry of the dough sticking or breaking as you pick it up. Once you have it rolled out, just flip the paper over into the pan.

That is all. Pie crust is simple, but it takes practice to make a good one. The recipe below is simple and classic, and truly shows you that coconut oil makes the BEST pie crust ever! This recipe makes a delicious old fashioned pie crust - just the way grandma used to make it!

Enjoy!

Sarah:)

Coconut Oil Pie Crust Recipe

Coconut Oil Pie Crust recipe photo
Coconut Oil Pie Crust
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy - Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy
Coconut Oil Pie Crust filled with Coconut Banana Cream Pie
Coconut Oil Pie Crust filled with Coconut Banana Cream Pie
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy - Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

This makes a delicious, flakey pastry and I have had many favorable comments on it.

• 3/4 cup fat (1/2 solid coconut oil and 1/2 butter or all coconut oil)
  • 2 cups organic unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 - 4 tablespoons ice cold water

Cut the coconut oil and butter into the flour and salt with pastry blender or two knives. Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time and mix well.

Roll out on floured board. Pastry is very tender and may be partially rolled around rolling pin for ease of picking up to place in pie pan.

Recipe submitted by Charlotte, Salem, NH

Connection Failure

I can testify first hand that this is an incredible recipe! I ate the pie crust and banana cream pie that Sarah baked in this picture, and the crust was so delicious! By far the flakiest and most tasty pie crust I have ever had. Classic and traditional recipe if you like "old fashioned" tastes, back before butter, coconut oil, and saturated fats were vilified and still a tasty part of our diet, particularly in pastry products. Yumm....
# Posted By Brian | 8/6/10 2:38 PM
I hope you are going to give us the recipe for the Coconut Banana Cream Pie now that you have us salivating for it.
# Posted By Sandy | 8/11/10 3:27 PM
could you use coconut flour for this instead of all purpose?
# Posted By sandy | 8/12/10 8:13 AM
Yes to the Banana Cream Pie recipe! I plan on posting the recipe for you all to enjoy as soon as I get it the way I want it. :) The first time I made it it wasn't quite right, so I'm going to keep trying it until it's just right.

About the coconut flour, no, you cannot use it in replacement of the all purpose flour. We do have 2 gluten free pie crust recipes though. Here:

and here:
# Posted By Sarah | 8/12/10 11:47 AM
You didn't give us an oven temperature or time. And could this recipe be used for a baked pie such as pumpkin?
# Posted By Joye | 10/23/10 11:37 AM
Joyce: This is just a basic, all-purpose pie crust that can be used for any recipe that calls for a made-from-scratch pie crust. You would simply make the dough, fill it, and then bake it according to the recipe that called for the crust. That's why it doesn't have cooking instructions.

If however, you were making something that called for a pre-baked crust, prick the crust all over with a fork and bake at 400 degrees F for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
# Posted By Sarah | 10/23/10 1:42 PM
Can I make this gluten free? What flour do you suggest ... how does coconut flour work out?
# Posted By Cara | 11/12/10 2:17 PM
Cara: No, it cannot be made gluten free. Please see my comment above with the GF pie crust recipes.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 11/12/10 4:23 PM
Hi. You mentioned the prebaked crust should bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, but for the pumpkin pie recipe you say to prebake for 15-20 minutes at 350 and THEN to pour in the contents and bake another 50 minutes. Is that correct? Wendy
# Posted By Wendy | 12/4/10 12:56 PM
Wendy: The instructions for baking the crust at 400 should only be used if a recipe calls for a BAKED pie crust (like a chocolate cream pie for example. You do not bake chocolate cream pies, so you need a pre-baked pie crust). The pumpkin pie recipe calls for an UNbaked pie crust, so you just make the dough and proceed with the recipe as usual, baking it as the recipe requires.

Hope that makes sense! :) Let me know if you have any more questions.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 12/4/10 4:16 PM
Hi again. Thanks for answering, but if you look at your creamy pumpkin pie recipe, it has you bake the crust first, then add the pumpkin filling, and then bake again???
# Posted By Wendy | 12/4/10 5:30 PM
Yes, that is the way you bake a crust for a pumpkin pie. Just follow the recipe as written. Like I have mentioned in another comment, a recipe that calls for an unbaked pie crust will tell you how to bake the crust as needed for that particular recipe.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 12/4/10 5:40 PM
I have tried the coconut oil pie crust recipe and it is wonderful tasting and much easier to work with that I thought it would be. Best pumpkin pies I ever made. Today I made a lemon meringue pie where I had to bake crust first. Is there a trick to the crust not shrinking down on the sides? Also, on one of the crusts, the center became raised up. Could you give a tip or two on this? Thank you very much. Janetlee
# Posted By Janetlee | 12/18/10 4:03 PM
Janetlee: To prevent shrinking you need to prick the crust all over with a fork and then place pie weights on the crust when you bake it. I just cover the bottom with forks/spoons and take them out during the last 5 minutes or so.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 12/18/10 4:26 PM
Loved this crust! Made an apple pie with it and it was fabulous! My husband like things on the sweet side so I added 1 tsp or so of sugar. It may not have needed it with the sweet of coconut. Was so good that I might just make the crust a;one to eat.

This recipe made enough for a 9" and lattice top.
# Posted By Starznhandz | 1/25/11 2:11 PM
The exchange between Sarah and Wendy 12/4/10 doesn't make sense. Do you mean the UNbaked pie crust should be pre-baked just a little? I understand that you bake a crust for a non-baked pie like chocolate cream. But the pumpkin pie crust should be baked ten minutes or so, then filled? Isn't that a BAKED crust?
# Posted By alisan | 3/9/11 11:47 AM
aslisan: If the recipe calls for an unbaked pie crust just make the dough and follow the recipe for the filling. Pumpkin pies generally have a different way of cooking their pie crusts. It'll vary from recipe to recipe, so just follow the written recipe.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 3/10/11 7:16 PM
Sarah, this is the best crust ever! I made an apple pie with it for this new fall season and my family ate it up so fast. This is my new go to recipe for all things pie. Thanks for sharing this pie crust recipe with us and it's so easy!
# Posted By Marjorie | 9/24/11 9:47 AM
Can this be used for a savory pie like chicken pot pie? If so, would you make two so you had a top crust as well as the bottom crust?
# Posted By Jennifer | 9/26/11 6:52 AM
I did everything the way the recipe called for but compared to other recipes it seemed to have too little liquid so I used 1 egg yolk, 2 Tablespoons lemon juice concentrate and 5 tablespoons ice cold water and the crust held together nicely and made 2 crusts for pumpkin pies. Before rolling it out I divided the dough in 1/2 (weighing it on kitchen scales). I rolled the pastry between 2 layers of parchment paper and when it was quite large I just removed the top layer of parchment paper and continued rolling until it was the size I wanted. It was easy to cut sections off that were too long and stick them onto the sections that needed more crust dough. Before baking I pricked the dough with a fork.
# Posted By rosie | 10/8/11 6:43 PM
Mine also seemed to need more liquid. I followed your directions and it came out really well. It's nice and flaky and beautifully browned. I have been looking for a recipe like this for months. Thank you!
# Posted By Diane | 10/16/11 5:50 PM
last time i checked 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup = 1 cup, not 3/4 cup.
Did you mean 1/4 cub butter?
# Posted By s | 11/9/11 6:59 AM
The recipe reads: 3/4 cup fat (1/2 solid coconut oil and 1/2 butter or all coconut oil) so that means 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons solid coconut oil and 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons butter rather than 1/2 cup each.
# Posted By rosie | 11/10/11 3:56 PM
sorry but what rosie said makes no sense. This is the recipe:
3/4 cup fat (1/2 solid coconut oil and 1/2 butter or all coconut oil) How would you know to use 1/4 then 2 TBS??? of both butter & coconut oil. it still does not measure up.
What is the correct measurment? 1 cup or 3/4 cup?????????
# Posted By s | 11/11/11 12:48 PM
s: It's math.

The recipe calls for 3/4 cup of fat.

Broken down:

3/4 cup = three 1/4 cups

1/4 cup = 4 tablespoons

That means half of 3/4 cup is 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons.

So if you wanted to use half coconut oil and half butter for this recipe, the measurement for the coconut oil and butter would each be 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons each. That together makes exactly 3/4 cup.

Or, to just make it easier on oneself, just take a 3/4 cup, fill it up halfway with butter and the rest with coconut oil. Problem solved.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 11/11/11 3:15 PM
Sarah, thanks for clarifying that. As someone who is not much of a baker, add that simple line to the recipe woudld have helped, I have to think I am not the only person who read that would know to break down a meausurement that way. If a recipe calls for 3/4 cup then that is what I think it should be but if the recipe explained your way, then that it is totaly different.
# Posted By s | 11/14/11 5:42 AM
This recipe is delicious! I had no idea I could use coconut oil with gluten free flour and create such a tasty healthy pie. This really is GREAT news!! I have my vegan pumpkin pie in the oven right now and I just got a few licks- yum!
Thank you, thank you!!
Love, Anika
# Posted By thegreekbite | 11/14/11 7:51 AM
Is there a link to the coconut banana cream pie recipe ? That looks delicious
# Posted By Jeff | 11/23/11 6:17 PM
Used this recipe for a peach pie that said to bake it at 425 degrees. After about 15 minutes, my oven was SMOKING! I turned the heat down to 375 and that seemed to solve the problem.
# Posted By MaryBee | 11/23/11 8:54 PM
I have the same question as Jennifer. Can it be used as a savory crust for something like chicken pot pie and also can you use a top and bottom crust? I am about to try it, so wish me luck.
# Posted By dana | 2/13/12 3:40 PM
Nice crust added more ice water a little at a time to make it roll out nicely for chicken pot pie
# Posted By Nina Sharon Goins | 2/27/12 8:52 AM
I am just baking a quiche and a rhubarb crumble using coconut oil - I have used the oil for three years but this is the first time I have used it for baking. Thanks for the recipe.

For those who find that their pastry crust gets distorted an when baking blind (ie without a filling) even when they have pricked it, there are small (about 1/4" diameter) clay balls you can buy to put on and hold down the crust while
it is cooking.

Several people have mentioned coconut flour. I have often wondered what I would use that for. Have you any ideas?
# Posted By Jennifer | 5/13/12 3:27 PM
Is the pie crust better with 3/4 c. coconut oil or half coconut oil, half butter in the recipe?
# Posted By Liz | 5/18/12 10:58 AM
I did it half and half and it was great. I have not yet tried it with 100% coconut oil.
# Posted By Jennifer | 5/19/12 12:50 AM
Have made double crusts for fresh blueberry pies and have had comments like, "This is the best pie crust I've ever had!" Truly a delicious recipe--nothing can compare to coconut oil for the shortening.
# Posted By Pat | 5/27/12 1:04 PM
I made a crust from the coconut oil, and then made the coconut cream pie.. using the coconut water from the raw coconut, and commercial coconut milk . I shredded the raw coconut and used that in the pie filling, and on top of the meringue. It was all really good.. also, I used a diabetic sugar.. I loved it!
# Posted By Rita | 5/30/12 11:16 AM
I made this crust yesterday. But I thought it tasted too salty! Am I the only one who thinks that? It's strange because I'm usually the girl who has to salt her food because it isn't salty enough! So, next attempt, I will use less salt. I used all coconut oil and thought it was nice other than the salt issue.
# Posted By Dancing_momma | 8/15/12 12:14 AM
I can't wait to make this. Could you substitute whole wheat flour with the white flour?
# Posted By Elizabeth | 9/11/12 7:50 PM
Elizabeth,
Regarding using whole wheat flour, I would not use all whole wheat, but maybe 1/2 cup, then the rest coconut or regular flour.. however, with whole wheat flour, it will not be gluten free.
# Posted By Rita | 9/12/12 3:47 PM
I have made this recipe with whole wheat flour. However, I only use whole wheat pastry flour. I think the brand is Bob's Red Mill. The crust is delicious!!!!
# Posted By Kelly | 10/8/12 6:26 PM
this was sooooo good, very light and flaky with wonderful flavor. My whole family loved it
# Posted By Andrea | 10/19/12 12:57 PM
Can I use this for a shortbread type pastry and would the substitution be the same? e.g. it calls for 1/2 cup butter, should I use 1/2 cup oil or do 1/4 oil and 1/4 butter?
# Posted By connie | 11/1/12 8:35 AM
I made a pie crust yesterday using part butter, part oil and it was lovely. Try it.
# Posted By Rosie | 11/4/12 6:36 PM
Have you ever frozen this dough? How does it fair?
# Posted By Tiffany S | 11/13/12 5:06 PM
Sarah, how much does your 2 cups of all purpose flour weigh?
# Posted By Sara | 11/18/12 7:27 AM
I need four (4) crusts- can I quadruple this recipe?
# Posted By Momma Fox | 12/23/12 2:26 PM
I made this crust for a pumpkin pie and it was the best crust that I have ever had! ( Sorry Grandma!) I used all organic coconut oil...I put the coconut oil in the freezer first too to make sure it was nice and cold before cutting it in. I also had to use a tad more ice water to get the ingredients to come together. My father n law raved about it, and everyone liked the sweetness of the coconut with the pumpkin. This is the only pie crust recipe that I will ever use!
# Posted By lydia | 1/26/13 4:29 PM
I just tried this crust to make Emanadas. My water wasn't cold enough (or so I thought) and my coconut oil was just solid. I used 1/2 c. coconut oil and 1/4 c. frozen butter (grated). Though I first added more water than asked for, it was just too dry. So, I put it back in the bowl and added more water. I thought for sure it would be tough as nails, but even with all the mistakes, it was flaky, tender, and wonderful!!! This will be my mainstay piecrust for EVER!!!
# Posted By Marsha | 5/28/13 12:17 AM
OMG. I can't believe how dumb people are about the measurements & the prebaked crust questions for pumpkin pie. It read 1/2 of coconut & 1/2 of butter. That means take a 3/4 measure cup and fill it 1/2 way with butter then finish filling it with coconut oil!
regarding the prebaked crust. Apparently when making pumpkin pie the crust needs to be prebaked a little before pouring in the pumpkin mixture. Please just follow directions. it seems like inexperienced cooks just want to question everything. Then they change the directions somewhere and wonder why it doesn't turn out. Follow directions!
# Posted By Jenny | 7/18/13 8:47 AM
What is the difference between coconut oil that is solid and that is liquid at room temperature? In other words, which is better for you? My health food store sells it both ways.
# Posted By Judy | 7/20/13 9:32 AM
Judy: Coconut oil turns to a liquid above 75 degrees F. Anything below and it will turn into a solid. The colder it is, the harder the oil will become. Thus for a pie crust where cold fat is best, refrigerating it is a good idea.
# Posted By Sarah S. | 7/20/13 2:52 PM
Thank you for your comment, Sarah. But at the store I bought my coconut oil at, there was the extra virgin, USDA organic oil I bought that was liquid and right next to it there was another coconut oil that was solid. I'm confused...the temperature of the room, of course, was the same for both.
# Posted By Judy | 7/20/13 3:03 PM
Different types often times act differently, but they will all still melt at some point. Sometimes the coconut oil on my counter will soften at different rates (much like different butters will). Plus there are many variables. Was the oil just brought out from a colder storage place? Was one brought in from a warmer place? Who knows.

Oh and about extra virgin coconut oil: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/what_is_virgin_coconut_oil.htm (scroll down about two thirds of the way to "What is 'Extra Virgin Coconut Oil?'").
# Posted By Sarah S. | 7/22/13 2:04 PM
Thank you again, Sarah, for your answer. I did buy a gallon of Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil over the weekend, so I will feel great about my selection! Judy
# Posted By Judy | 7/22/13 3:45 PM
I've been looking for the perfect pie crust for years! I think this might be it. I have two types of coconut oil. Should I use the inexpensive "pure coconut oil" or the "virgin unrefined coconut oil", which tastes like coconut and has a lower smoking point. If I use the latter, will the crust taste like coconut?
# Posted By Faye | 7/27/13 11:10 AM
Tried this recipe with half butter half regular coconut oil (not the unrefined product) and I'm SOLD on this crust! I did add two tsp. of sugar and reduced the salt slightly, but it's very flavorful and flaky. I think it would make a fine crust for a savory pie without the added sugar, of course. I rolled it out on floured parchment paper this time instead of waxed paper with great results. Thank you for posting this recipe:)
# Posted By Faye | 7/28/13 7:14 PM
Does using coconut oil alone produce as good pie crust?
# Posted By Helena | 8/20/13 7:25 AM
After trying this recipe , I'm throwing out ALL other crust recipes! I used the 1/2 coconut oil 1/2 butter version.
# Posted By Carole | 9/7/13 4:19 PM
I can't wait to try this - thank you! I'm wondering how much it yields...is it enough for two crusts or a top and bottom or just one?? Thanks again!
# Posted By Ang | 9/12/13 3:50 PM
My husband has Parkinson's Dease and he also has a stage 5.3 anyonism, will this coconut oil make this worse?
# Posted By Norma P | 10/23/13 3:56 PM
Which of your coconut oils do you use when making pie crusts? Is it best to use the very best? Do they taste different if you use one of the less expensive varieties you sell?

One of these days I'm going to catch that 2-for-1 bucket deal. I always just miss it! I've been sticking with the Gold Label for everything. Is that best? Or do the other types work better for some uses?
# Posted By Gail G | 11/29/13 5:46 PM
When baking a "blind" pie shell, I flute my edge and then go back and create "tabs" with the dough in about 6 spots. I just pull some dough down (from the fluting) tightly over the pie dish rim. After the shell is baked, these "tabs" are simply trimmed off. I never have the sides of the pie shell sink into the center!
# Posted By Ronnie | 2/1/14 10:09 AM
Made a double crust for a cherry with this recipe using only coconut oil. Tested it on my family without telling them I used coconut oil. The reception was incredible, my wife said it was the best pie crust she ever had, and she comes from a long line of baking, She was totally blown out of the water when I told her what was in it. Very flaky & tender crust with great flavor. I froze the oil then mixed the dough in a food processor and refrigerated it overnight, then let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before halving it and rolling it out. I will never go back.
# Posted By Dsave | 2/3/14 3:48 PM