Coconut Flour Tortillas recipe photo
Coconut Flour Tortillas
Photo by recipe author

Servings: 1 tortilla

Mix the coconut flour and baking powder with the water (or milk) and egg whites. Whisk or blend until all lumps disappear (I usually mix, then wait a couple of minutes and mix again).

Pour all the batter on a heated pan greased with coconut oil or butter (grease well). Pour batter in center of pan. Tilt the pan around to spread the batter into a large circle, almost covering the entire bottom of the pan.

Be very careful with this part: wait until the edges are brown on the side of the tortilla, or carefully circle spatula around the bottom of tortilla until safe to flip. Once safe, flip the tortilla and cook for about 30 seconds on the other side.

Fill with cream, berries, enchilada filling - anything you like!

These are thin and delicate. Use them for low-carb enchiladas, sandwich wraps, or anything you can think of!

* For the freshest coconut milk make homemade coconut milk. (See video at this link.)

Recipe submitted by Brandon, Dallas TX

What size pan should we use??
# Posted By Christie | 9/29/10 12:41 PM
Christie-

I use a 12" frying pan. It's large enough to flip the "tortilla" while still leaving a little room to fit the spatula.
# Posted By Brandon | 10/4/10 11:31 AM
Ooooh I can't wait! I've been trying to make tortillas with coconut flour to no avail!
# Posted By Wholesome | 10/5/10 12:13 PM
Great way to use up leftover egg whites.
# Posted By Sunshine | 10/6/10 9:13 AM
Hi,
it looks so good, do you have a recipe to make like 6 or a dozen at once? Thanks.
# Posted By Li Ling | 10/11/10 7:34 PM
Hi Li Ling-

You will need to multiply each ingredient by 6. Try using 1 1/2 cup of egg whites + 3/4 cup water + 6 TBSP. of coconut flour. You might get away with only 1 cup of egg whites, 6 TBSP. water and 4 TBSP. coconut flour.
# Posted By Brandon | 10/12/10 8:05 PM
A friend of mine just found this recipe. I'm so excited...been wanting to find a tortilla recipe just using coconut flour!!! Thank you!!!!
# Posted By Wendy | 10/14/10 12:54 PM
Has anyone made these with success? I made them and they tasted really bad:(
# Posted By Natalie | 10/23/10 4:36 PM
Natalie - You might want to take out the baking powder, as I never use it because sometimes it makes it too salty. It is not going to taste like regular wheat flour tortillas, obviously, but you can use them the same.
# Posted By Brandon | 10/23/10 7:03 PM
Anyone have success making these more like regular tortillas? these remind me more of crepes.
# Posted By Rob | 2/9/11 4:13 PM
I think I have figured it out.
4 whole eggs, or 1 c egg whites
1/4 c coconut oil
2 pinches salt
1/2 c coconut flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
2/3 to 1/2 c coconut milk or water

combine the flour, oil, baking powder, salt and eggs in a food processor. process until a thick batter forms. add enough liquid to make a somewhat loose batter. Pour 1/4 c on a hot tortilla press, cook for 20 seconds and open the press, flip and cook for an additional 10 to 15 seconds. enjoy.

makes 5 tortillas, more body and closer texture to regular flour tortillas in my opinion.

let me know what you think.
# Posted By Rob | 2/9/11 5:41 PM
Rob, what kind of tortilla press are you using? I am eager to try these recipes!
# Posted By Britt | 2/17/11 1:46 PM
I have a 10" Chef Pro. It works great. Still tweaking my reciepy though. good luck with it.
# Posted By Rob | 2/19/11 4:02 AM
add a pinch of salt, that will take care of the taste
# Posted By debbie | 7/9/11 12:50 AM
Hi there, does anyone know if you could make a batch of these and freeze them and if they'd defrost ok?

Thanks,
Helen from UK
# Posted By Helen | 8/10/11 6:31 AM
couple quick questions. do i need the baking powder?? 'cause it's not something i have. also would it be fine to get by on fewer eggs? i tried making coconut pancakes (used 4 eggs) and it came out very "omlettey"...any comments??
# Posted By HJ Illagen | 8/15/11 12:47 AM
I uesed whole eggs and skipped bkg powder. Added a bit of water for the coconut flour. Very Good. Eggy but better than low carb tortillas. I will try to make two from the single recipe so they will be thinner.
# Posted By Pam | 10/9/11 1:16 PM
Wow, these are bad. I'm seriously disappointed. Not even remotely like a tortilla. These are egg white omlettes with a very heavy coconut sweet taste. I would rather go without than eat these and waste time and materials. If you are jonesing for a tortilla, just make tapioca flour crepes minus the vanilla. 1/2 c tapioca flour, 1 egg, 1 egg white, 2 T water. Same method for cooking.
# Posted By Tiffaroonie | 10/11/11 9:39 PM
I just made these. I multiplied the recipe by 4, but then still made some changes, as I only had 4 eggs. Making 4 would have meant 8 egg whites! They came out a little more crepe like than I would have expected. I used them in enchiladas so it really didn't matter.

I'm going to try Rob's suggestions. I will use whole eggs, probably 0.5 egg to on tortilla ratio, and reduce the baking powder a bit.
# Posted By Jac | 10/13/11 12:26 AM
Where can you find coconut flour in Dallas?
# Posted By Tracey | 10/24/11 6:03 PM
@HJ Use more or even all egg white rather than whole egg to prevent the omelet taste and you can make baking powder by putting 2 parts baking SODA with 1 part cream of tarter.
# Posted By Raindance | 11/26/11 7:51 PM
Tracey, buy your coconut flour here from Tropical Traditions.
# Posted By "MagicDave" | 11/28/11 6:57 PM
Great recipe Rob. I tried it out tonight and while I didn't make torillas I did make some small pizzas. I just left the batter on the thick side and didn't use my press. Excellent results.
# Posted By "MagicDave" | 11/29/11 11:36 PM
this recipe turned out more like coconut flavored scrambled egg whites. I was very excited, and was really disappointed =(
# Posted By Christina Barnard | 12/15/11 6:10 PM
i am down with what Tiffaroonie has to say, if your jonesing for a tortilla use the recipe they suggested... i made these for sandwhich wraps and they turned out great... i did deviate a tad bit from the recipe and i only used 1 egg and added some parsley flakes garlic powder and some soul food seasoning to jazz up my tortillas and they turned out great...thanks for the heads up and i hope this helps you all out
# Posted By RICHARD GOULD | 12/18/11 2:40 PM
Has anyone ever added nut flour, like almond, to these to give them more substance?
# Posted By Talia | 1/17/12 4:08 PM
Excellent recipe! This was my first attempt at using coconut flour (this recipe uses only a few ingredients, which would save a lot of time/money if it had gone wrong!). I followed the recipe exactly (using the 3 tbsp egg whites), and felt that my "batter" was too thick. So I had to add 1/2 Tbsp water to thin it out. I'd call this more of a flatbread, or thin pancake, rather than a tortilla because the result was so thick. This was fine, since I prefer thicker tortillas anyway. Although I probably could have just added more water if I wanted a thinner, more tortilla-like appearance. Taste was great either way, very light. I spread almond butter on it and I now have a grain-free solution to my oh-so-missed nut butter sandwhiches!
# Posted By Mary | 2/27/12 10:35 PM
Can you use whole eggs instead of egg whites?
# Posted By Dionne | 7/7/12 10:55 PM
Do you really have a measuring device that does 1/16 of a teaspoon?
# Posted By David | 9/18/12 7:42 PM
David: Yes, but they're not very common. If you don't have one just do a "pinch".
# Posted By Sarah | 9/19/12 11:26 AM
Just made these - WOW! They are good. Added more water to make them thinner. Made a second batch and added cumin, chili powder, onion powder, & garlic powder. Thanks for positing. Love it!!
# Posted By Megan M | 9/30/12 6:13 PM
This was so this thick that I even added more water. I have been trying to make reciepe a with coconut flour but it is just not working!!!
# Posted By Lona | 1/29/13 7:24 PM
Mine kept sticking, how do I fix that?
# Posted By Patti | 2/13/13 9:33 PM
Was so excited to make these with shrimp tacos but It has a egg white texture and not good at all. Think I will stick to making my normal flour tortillas with cream cheese instead of crisco. Don't think I will try these ones again!
# Posted By Diane | 4/19/13 3:15 PM
I've had better luck with tortillas in the oven (pour a thin layer of mixture onto a greased pizza pan, much like you would with a socca/farrinata), heated under the broiler at a high temp. I'd try mixing it with brown rice flour and/or a bit of flax.
# Posted By Kelly H | 5/4/13 9:33 AM
mine did not turn out at all..added extra water to thin it out, the flavor was like egg whites mixed with a hint of coconut..the texture was even worse..not sure if i can do the whole coconut flour thing, might have to switch to almond flour.
# Posted By Cassie.Cook | 5/4/13 6:40 PM
just made these following the given recipe. They turned out like an egg white omelet instead of a tortilla but they did not taste like coconut so that was good. Any idea how to get them less egg tasting/texture?
# Posted By michele h | 9/1/13 8:12 PM
It was very disapointed becausei could not make not even one tortilla wow i see all your coments and i saw you could make them
I was wondering what i did wrong?
# Posted By martha B | 9/6/13 12:51 PM
I tried this recipe, so excited for the result, but the flavor was off. It was very sour. Also the texture was a bit gooey like you could tell there were egg whites in it.

I will try the recipe again sometime hoping my first attempt was just a mess up with the measurements. Is it supposed to taste slightly sour or no? It didn't taste much like coconut.
# Posted By Anisa | 9/16/13 4:06 PM
We all liked the taste; however, we agreed that they are too sweet for tacos. We r going to try the leftovers with fruit and Greek yogurt in the a.m. overall. Yummy!!!!
# Posted By kristi | 1/25/14 8:22 PM
These tortillas are sooo good. I made them to have with ham and cheese, so I added a bit of adobo Goya to this recipe. They came out great!
# Posted By Tairyn | 2/20/14 11:00 AM
Do these freeze well? Would you put parchment paper between them?
# Posted By Christine Benvenuti | 5/24/14 9:10 AM