Gluten Free Biscuits and Gravy recipe photo
Gluten Free Biscuits and Gravy

Servings: 3-4

Biscuits:

Sausage Gravy:

Biscuits:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease up 6 cups of a muffin tin with coconut oil.

2. Put coconut flour, almond flour, salt and baking powder in the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the butter is incorporated. The butter pieces should be about the size of peas.

3. In a blender (or by hand if you're feeling energetic), whiz the egg whites until they are frothy. Add them to the food processor and pulse a couple times until they're incorporated. Don't go crazy though, just pulse it a few times until just blended.

4. Distribute the batter evenly into the 6 cups of your muffin tin. It should fill them about 3/4 full. These biscuits don't rise, so that's okay. Bake for 15 minutes until the tops are browned.

5. Pour your gravy on top, and enjoy.

Sausage Gravy:

1. Heat up a skillet over medium-high heat and brown the sausage. Break up the sausage into fairly small pieces so it will cook easily, but I like to leave some bigger chunks in there too. Once the sausage is thoroughly cooked, remove it with a slotted spoon and set it aside. Discard most of the fat, but leave about a tablespoon in there, and leave all the stuck-on brown bits of sausage in the bottom of the pan.

2. Turn the heat down to medium. Add the arrowroot and stir it into the fat and brown bits, whisking constantly for about a minute so it doesn't burn. It will get pretty thick and almost dry.

3. Add the coconut milk about 1/3 at a time, and whisk together with the "roux," incorporating it thoroughly. Some of the browned bits should start to come off the bottom of the pan, too. This is what we want. Keep adding in the coconut milk until it is all incorporated. Add the fennel, sage, cayenne, salt and pepper and mix it in.

4. Add the sausage back in and incorporate throughout the gravy. Cook for a moment so everything is heated evenly. Serve immediately over biscuits.

Recipe submitted by Amber, Norfolk, VA

* For the freshest coconut milk make homemade coconut milk. (See video at this link.)

Connection Failure

these look amazing. I grew up on biscuits & gravy and have tweaked my recipes as much as I thought possible. I can't wait to try these!
# Posted By Laureen | 1/14/11 1:27 PM
Anyone know what the carb count would be on these? They look delicious!
# Posted By Jan | 1/14/11 5:56 PM
This looks so yummy... How many servings does this make?
# Posted By gayle | 1/14/11 6:09 PM
can you use 3 whole eggs instead of just the egg whites?
# Posted By tammy | 1/17/11 12:24 PM
These are great. I have made them once already. And the sausage gravy is unreal. My 1.5yr old loved it.
# Posted By K.ROB | 1/20/11 6:15 PM
I made these with rice flour instead of almond, and it worked well. They were a little dry, so we ate them with butter,and a drizzle of brown rice syrup. Yum!
# Posted By Eady | 3/5/11 12:59 PM
Why use baking powder when they don't rise?
# Posted By Kay | 4/16/11 1:19 PM
My family loves biscuits and gravy so I made this GF option for Christmas Eve. What a disappointment! I followed the recipe to the "t" and the biscuits were dry and nasty and what was very disappointing is the gravy smelled bad like I just mixed chemicals together and the taste was worse...I think it was the addition of starch. I don't know if people who commented made these and actually ate them, but after a few bites EVERYONE threw it away :( My search continues...
# Posted By Christina | 12/27/11 9:38 AM
Christina: I'm sorry this recipe didn't work out for you. I'd recommend trying these though. I've made both myself multiple times and they're very, very good. Here's a recipe for GF drop biscuits: http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/recipe_Gluten_Free_Drop_Biscuits.htm

And for a great gravy recipe try this one: http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/recipe_Roast_Chicken_with_Coconut_Oil.htm

The gravy will taste best with the pan drippings from the chicken (which is also fantastic) but you can make it with just chicken stock, corn starch, butter and seasonings of choice.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 12/27/11 1:56 PM
@Christina

Arrowroot gravies need to be made immediately before serving. They will turn gummy if left to sit for too long. When it cools it develops an unusually slippery feel. Is this what you and your guests found?

Arrowroot starch needs to be mixed with a few Tbs. cold water before adding to a hot liquid.
# Posted By Don Wiss | 2/4/12 7:24 PM
Can something like corn starch be substituted for the arrowroot powder? I would love to try these but have never bought arrowroot powder.
# Posted By Tracy | 12/1/12 4:43 AM
can you substitute 3 whoe eggs instead of egg whites
# Posted By patricia k | 10/21/13 4:18 PM
If you are going Vegan, you can also use 1 Tablespoon of Milled Flax Seeds + 3 Tablespoons of water foe each egg! Amazingly similar consistency!
# Posted By Carol Ann | 10/29/13 8:42 AM