Maple Coconut Bars photo
Maple Coconut Bars

Servings: 8-12

Combine the shredded coconut and the coconut oil in a sauce pan and melt the oil over low heat. Stir often.

When the coconut oil has melted, add vanilla, salt, and maple syrup. Stir ingredients together until the shredded coconut has re-hydrated a little bit with some of the oil. This might take about 5 minutes.

Once the ingredients are well combined, pour the mixture into a 3 cup glass dish. Using a spatula, press the mixture down until it is firmly packed. Stick in the fridge for at least one hour.

Using a sharp knife that has been run under warm water, cut into bars or cubes of any size. If the bars are difficult to remove, place the bottom of the dish in a shallow pan of hot water for a minute to loosen them.

Recipe submitted by Jessica, Denver, CO

I tried these today, but like I always do with recipes, I altered it. I added unsweetened cocoa powder, some almond butter, and a few chocolate chips. I used xylitol as the sweetener since I want to give some to my mom who is in a care home and it's good for her teeth, unlike sugar. They turned out good and have some protein from the nut butter.
# Posted By sharon | 10/13/11 7:22 PM
Sounds delish, I may have to try your version as well. Thanks for sharing.
# Posted By Natasha | 10/13/11 9:30 PM
I made this last night, made with desiccated coconut and I also added 3 scoops of chocolate protein powder as well. Tasted absolutely delicious. I cut it up into about 30 squares and will have to ration myself to 2 squares a day. Next time I will add 100 grams of melted 85% chocolate as well. Highly recommend trying this.
# Posted By Diggler | 10/14/11 6:40 PM
I made these this morning, and oh, my, they are delicious! I just happened to have all of the ingredients, and it was all organic, even the maple syrup! Thank you for a great recipe, and I did think about adding either almonds or making up a cacao and coconut ganache to put on top, or maybe sprinkle some cacao nibs on top, but I figured I would start with the original recipe and go from there. Honestly, these are just great, all on their own.
# Posted By Joyce T | 10/15/11 11:10 AM
Can I use coconut that is leftover from making coconut milk in this recipe?
# Posted By Jan | 10/15/11 2:48 PM
I just can't imagine making these with only oil, coconut, and a little maple syrup. It just seems like it would be oily coconut.
# Posted By Charlotte | 10/17/11 6:01 AM
I just made these, and they are delicious! I actually used xylitol (probably like 4 tbs) instead of maple syrup, as I am on the Body Ecology diet. I used real vanilla bean powder and added a little more coconut than the recipe called for (my coconut seems a tad more moist than a lot of other dried coconut). It is currently cooling in the freezer, but my sister and I could have probably eaten the whole batch warm and melty at one sitting! Delicious!
# Posted By Jonathan | 10/18/11 12:09 PM
finally! something without chocolate! gluten free, even! I can't wait to try this!
# Posted By vicki | 12/12/11 6:39 PM
Simple & perfect!
# Posted By kla | 1/3/12 10:55 AM
Ditto on the simple and perfect comment!
# Posted By Erin | 2/12/12 5:18 PM
I added a tablespoon of water to the coconut and I added chopped dried cranberries. Yummy. Thanks for posting a great recipe.
# Posted By helene | 4/14/12 9:07 PM

1 gallon
Grass-fed Bison Sirloin Steaks
Grass-fed Bison Sirloin Steaks
Grass-fed Beef Short Ribs
approx. 4.5 pounds (2 packages)
Short Ribs