Grain-Free Raw Coconut Granola photo
Grain-Free Raw Coconut Granola

You can totally play with this recipe! This recipe yields around 22 cups of granola. You just want about 19 or 20 cups worth of your favorite seeds, nuts and flakes total, so measure out your desired ingredients.

22 1-cup servings

Set aside 4 cups of the coconut flakes. Put all wet ingredients and spices into a pan. Warm over a very low heat and stir to blend the flavors. Do not use a high heat.

Chop the coconut flakes into the size of oats. Add the chopped coconut flakes to the liquid. Turn off heat.

Chop the nuts up if you want to make a breakfast cereal substitute. Add the wet portion to the remainder of your dry ingredients, and stir until it's well-blended. Store in an airtight container. It will keep for weeks, if it lasts that long!

Recipe submitted by Tamara, Spring, TX

Sounds wonderful! A few questions: Does it stay moist/damp because of the wet ingredients? If yes, how do you "dry" it out? Does it need to be refrigerated?

Thanks!
# Posted By Patricia | 2/3/11 7:07 PM
It shouldn't be damp as you're heating the liquid ingredients up so that they "caramelize" and harden as the granola cools. And granola is typically stored like a regular boxed cereal; sealed tightly and at room temperature.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 2/3/11 7:25 PM
That's a LOT of sugar! Too sweet for my blood. But, I can omit.
# Posted By Tasha | 2/3/11 8:27 PM
This recipe makes a very, VERY large amount of granola. The amount of sugar is just right. But you can adjust to taste.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 2/3/11 10:20 PM
I tried to make less, and it came out pretty good (tastes wonderful though a bit too sweet), but I think I may have gotten the proportions slightly off. Even though I heated the liquid ingredients and it's been about an hour since I made it, it's just very sticky. Can you add more nuts to it once it's been sitting around for awhile? Will it eventually carmelize and harden a bit more - be less sticky?

Thanks!
# Posted By Patricia C. | 2/5/11 4:15 PM
Like previous comments, the finished product is sticky and moist so I have left it out to dry up, I hope. I can't imagine eating this with fingers and not being a mess in the process. Should we bake it a bit or will it harden. It seems to be missing some step in the recipe. It tastes good but is just not practical and given the cost of the ingredients, I would not make it again if this is how it stays.
# Posted By Virginia | 2/5/11 5:43 PM
I'm not the recipe author, so I don't know if this granola is meant to be sticky but if you want it to harden up, boil the sugar mixture for a minute or two. That will help it to harden. Or, if you don't want the granola to be "raw", you can bake for a few minutes.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 2/6/11 12:11 PM
It isn't meant to be a "finger" granola. It is a bit sticky. I concur with all of Sarah's comments responding to questions. As you can see in the picture, it's not really a dry granola, but it's flavorful, nutritious and delicious! I love to use it as a breakfast cereal substitute with almond milk. I actually had some this morning. :~D

If you want to take it on the go, I've used plastic baggies and a spoon, which seems easy enough. Play with the spices, sweeteners and make it your own favorite. If you want to use a grain, you can use oats and it will be drier, though still a bit sticky.

Also, you could add dried fruit- some you've dehydrated, or things as easy as craisins or raisins. Hope that helps!
# Posted By Tamara | 2/8/11 3:40 AM
It looks wonderfully healthy & delicious !
# Posted By jen | 2/13/11 5:08 PM
The only problem with this recipe is that once I start eating it, I have a hard time stopping! I soak and dehydrate all my nuts and seeds for better digestion and had all but cashews ready to throw into this recipe. I am a granola aficionado and this grain-free recipe is an ideal replacement for those wishing to avoid oatmeal. I added some almond extract to the vanilla (by accident, but it was a good addition). Next time, I will use less honey because the honey flavor is a bit too strong for me.
# Posted By Jackie | 2/14/11 9:52 AM
The recipe looks good, however, a technical point for raw food purists: Maple syrup is not a "raw" food as the process of making maple syrup involves boiling of the sap. I'm not a raw food purist, but I am a believer and truth in labeling. I notice that the label on the maple syrup doesn't say raw. However, the fact the the syrup is Organic is more important to me.
p.s. regarding warming/heating honey: heat destroys the enzymes in honey, so I've heard that it can be warmed to 120 degrees. If you add honey to hot tea, for example, it will destroy the enzymes (which are good for you). Wait until it is a drinkable temperature. So, if you warm this mixture up, make sure it's at a temperature that you could eat it right from the pot.
Thanks for the recipe!
# Posted By Kare | 2/19/11 10:43 AM
Thank you for your comment on the HONEY!!! I always add it while steeping - I will wait now...
# Posted By Kay W | 11/8/12 8:17 AM
Can you do this is a crockpot on low?
# Posted By Jessica | 8/20/13 8:54 AM