Gluten Free Chunky Monkey Muffins photo
Gluten Free Chunky Monkey Muffins photo

Servings: 12 muffins

Preheat oven to 350 F and greased the muffin pans.

In a small bowl, mix together coconut flour, sea salt and baking soda. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, honey or sugar, palm shortening, and vanilla. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet till thoroughly mixed. Fold in mashed bananas, pecans, coconut flakes and chocolate.

Scoop batter into muffin tins to 3/4 full, top with more pecans (optional) and bake for 20-30 minutes. When done, let it cool and serve with a big glass of milk!

Recipe submitted by Marillyn, Britt, IA

These are delicious. Even my husband said they are keepers.
# Posted By Mary | 2/21/11 4:44 PM
i honestly never thought of cooking with this thanks for opening my eyes ive always used for cosmetics and home remedies
# Posted By CAROL | 3/1/11 2:52 PM
I made these without the pecans, and they were very good!
# Posted By Jonathan | 3/5/11 6:41 AM
I see you recommend using either coconut oil or palm shortening in this. Are these generally able to be used interchangeably? I've not tried the palm shortening before & now, after converting all my recipes to my beloved coconut oil, have found I'm allergic to coconut - so sad. Can I easily / equally just sub palm shortening without noticing a difference in taste or texture (or in any other way)? In hot as well as cold applications? Thanks for any help you can offer! Blessings, Jill
# Posted By Jill | 3/6/11 9:11 AM
Is this almost like a quiche with a little coconut flour? Wow- there's almost no flour used, while in most muffin recipes, flour is the main ingredient! Can you explain what the texture is like? I'm afraid to try this recipe before wrapping my brain around this concept. :~D Thanks!
# Posted By Tamara | 4/6/11 5:01 AM
I haven't tried this recipe yet but I am grateful for those who written in to say how they taste. I will now try it. Thank you.
# Posted By Sandra | 4/6/11 3:41 PM
These are delicious. Everyone wanted the recipe!
Easy to make.........delicious to eat! yum!
# Posted By judy | 4/21/11 6:03 PM
Tamara, I'm new to baking with coconut flour, but my understanding is that it is far drier than wheat flour and needs more eggs to reach the consistency that it would have with wheat flour. I haven't tried this recipe, but am going to use it as a base for carrot raisin muffins and if I think to do so I will leave a comment as to how they turned out.
# Posted By Kelly | 4/30/11 8:08 PM
I made these tonight, with some substitutions. I wanted carrot raisin and also wanted to try making muffins with coconut flour, so I subbed the carrots for bananas, raisins for coconut flakes, and used walnuts instead of pecans (baked in, not on top) with no chocolate.

I had run carrots thru my juicer for another project, so used the pulp from that process in the muffins and added about a tablespoon of the juice. The flavor is great and the texture is better than I expected. Not quite as dense as muffins made with wheat flour, but still with that kind of texture, which is what I wanted. Thanks for sharing this!
# Posted By Kelly | 4/30/11 11:13 PM
Great recipe! Dee-licious! The texture was light and moist...just perfect.
I baked mine in a cake pan and cut it into bars, instead of making muffins. And next time I think I'll even leave out the chocolate chips.

# Posted By Lindsey | 5/9/11 8:41 PM
These were amazing!! Made them with fresh shredded coconut and ground down the pecans so my little guy could eat themmm he loves em!!
# Posted By Helen | 5/15/11 11:38 AM
As always with TT recipes, this is AMAZING! Not too sweet, perfect! I like the chunkies. Super delish!
# Posted By Kendra | 9/22/11 4:25 PM
Oh these sound soooooo good, I will try them for my kids lunches..... Thanks for this blog!!!
# Posted By Damaris | 9/23/11 4:27 PM
Great flavor and texture! Definetly a recipe to keep. Next time I will omit chocolate and use less honey. I also think it would work well to replace the banana for applesauce or pumpkin, add spices and have a new variety.
# Posted By Erin | 11/17/11 12:07 PM
I made these last night. So easy and AMAZING!!! Thank you!!!
# Posted By Margot | 3/24/12 5:32 PM
Wow! These are BY FAR the best coconut flour muffins I've ever made! My husband hates coconut flour- and he loved these! Thank you! They're so moist!
# Posted By Sarah | 6/7/12 8:46 PM
Made these last night and followed the directions to the T. They came out AMAAAAAAZING!!! First time baking w/Coconut flour and I am so stoked on the results!! Everyone loved them, even those who don't like coconut! Thank you so much! So excited to try the other recipes!
# Posted By Jazzy | 6/9/12 11:01 AM
These have a wonderful flavor and texture. I doubled the recipe, but kept the amount of honey the same, since I figured the bananas were sweet enough. I was right.:-) I wish I would have used my macaroon coconut, because the shreds I used were a bit large, and made for more chewing than I would have liked. I used chopped hazelnuts instead of pecans since that's what I had. Very delicious! I used muffin liners instead of greasing my pans, and that did not work very well. They stuck. I will definitely grease the pans next time. Great recipe! Thanks!
# Posted By Ruth | 7/2/12 11:20 AM
AMAZING!!! These are perfect just the way they are!! I did use cupcake liners so they came out easily.
# Posted By Beverly | 9/11/12 10:04 AM
so good... a definite keeper! i did substitute coconut sugar for the honey though.
# Posted By kathleen b | 4/8/13 6:47 PM
I made these today and they are DELISH! Even my picky mother loves them. I made no substitutions and used tropical traditions gold label coconut oil. Very easy to make. Definitely a keeper! Thank you!
# Posted By Laura | 6/16/13 7:56 PM
Thes are soooo good!! I will fix these over and over again!! No substitution and they were perfect! Don't wait...fix them today!
# Posted By Leslie | 9/5/13 2:20 PM
back here for the recipe for the 5th time! so yummy!
# Posted By laura | 10/26/13 5:38 PM
My, oh my, these just got better. Last night when making these with my lovely daughter we mistakenly used 2/3 cup coconut flour instead of 1/2 cup. Since I normally use only 5 eggs, instead of the called for 6, we added the extra egg and about 2 tablespoons of frozen orange juice (for added moisture). The coconut flakes were omitted. Instead we used 1/3 cup cocoa powder and some cocoa nibs plus black walnuts. They were wonderful. They just don't last long!
# Posted By S.k. Robertson | 3/4/14 3:10 PM