Gluten Free Vanilla Coconut Waffles photo
Gluten Free Vanilla Coconut Waffles photo

Servings: 8 waffles Depending on waffle maker

Mix all the wet ingredients, except the egg whites. Beat the whites to foamy peaks with a pinch of salt. Mix all the dry ingredients.

Slowly fold in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Then continue to fold the mixture with the egg whites trying to preserve as much volume as possible. Cook as directed on waffle maker.

* For the freshest coconut milk make homemade coconut milk. (See video at this link.)

Recipe submitted by Kyle, Kent, WA

Is the apple sauce absolutely necessary? Can you substitute something else?
# Posted By M1ssDiagnosis | 2/23/11 10:54 AM
In order for the waffles to be gluten-free, yes the apple sauce is necessary. It acts as a binding agent along with the eggs and of course adds a touch of sweetness.
# Posted By Patricia V. | 2/23/11 11:11 PM
Could you use this recipe to make as pancakes as well ?
# Posted By Donna | 2/24/11 7:46 AM
There are other binders to use for baking Gluten Free. I suggest you experiment with some of them...

Flax Seed Meal -- ONE TABLESPOON of Meal mixed with THREE TABLESPOONS of water. Mix together and let is sit for (at least) three to five minutes (can sit longer). THen add to your recipe.

TWO TABLESPOONS of yogurt replace ONE EGG in recipes.

THere is also a product called Egg Replacer for binding.

People who do Fat Free baking use Prune puree (i am not aware of measurements for this).

I suggest a person might do an Internet search to find other replacements.
# Posted By Gail | 2/24/11 8:10 AM
Is there anything you can use as a substitute for the coconut milk? Will regular milk or yogurt work?
# Posted By Angie | 2/26/11 12:57 PM
I think these look delicious. I have printed this out to try. I am wondering what the other poster has against applesauce. They seem ANGRY about the applesauce! lololol!!!
# Posted By Laura | 3/9/11 11:50 PM
Don't think she is angry it's just applesauce isn't good for you and if you have a diabetic child as I do, you can't use it and will have to find something to replace it with. I know there are other options instead of applesauce.
# Posted By Monique | 4/6/11 3:33 PM
Would coconut oil make a good substitute for applesauce?
# Posted By db | 4/18/11 6:42 PM
Who says applesauce is not good for you? As long as you get the natural stuff its a great food choice!
# Posted By Angie | 6/29/11 10:27 PM
I made these this morning as our family has recently gone entirely grain free and we were craving waffles. I thought the flavor and overall texture was really good, but found them a bit dry and hard to swallow. I solved the problem by melting butter and pouring on top along with some maple syrup, but would have preferred not so much extra fat and sugar. They were plenty sweet with the applesauce in there I thought, just needed more moisture. I think applesauce is a great option as an occasional binder and sweetener for those who don't mind consuming fruit but are trying to avoid other sugars. Next time, I may add a mashed up banana (more fruit, I know, but for a weekend treat I'm okay with it) and/or lower the amount of coconut flour to 1/4 or 1/3 cup to see if it helps keep the waffles moist. And for the poster who asked, I do not think coconut oil would be a good substitute for applesauce. But hmmm, maybe I could add some for moisture :-). I'll post again if I recreate the recipe!
# Posted By DrMommaLaelle | 8/14/11 7:34 PM
Angie, applesauce is not a good choice for Type 1 diabetics, as is my daughter. It sends the blood sugars soaring, so we have to find other forms of sweeteners that don't have that effect. Applesauce is great, but not for diabetics who are working with their diets to avoid having to take a lot of insulin.
# Posted By Jan | 9/2/13 7:37 PM

1 gallon
Grass-fed Bison Sirloin Steaks
Grass-fed Bison Sirloin Steaks
Grass-fed Beef Short Ribs
approx. 4.5 pounds (2 packages)
Short Ribs