Coconut Haupia (Traditional Hawaiian Coconut Pudding) photo
Coconut Haupia (Traditional Hawaiian Coconut Pudding)

Servings: 6-8
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes

In a medium saucepan, cook coconut cream concentrate with 1-3/4 cups water over medium-low heat until warm and blended. In a separate small bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in remaining 3/4 cup water, combining well.

Stir sugar mixture into coconut mixture and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened (approx. 5-6 minutes). Pour into an 8 inch square pan. Refrigerate until firm. Cut into squares and serve.

Recipe submitted by Deanne, Glendale, AZ

Was this information helpful to you? Share it with others:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button var addthis_pub = 'shilhavy';

i made this yesterday and added 2 t. vanilla to the finished product. it's good, but i wonder if anyone has tried using milk instead of water?
# Posted By Taza G. | 2/9/11 10:35 AM
Could one use pectin instead of corn syrup?
# Posted By Marissa | 2/12/11 1:05 PM
Delicious! Wanting a creamier texture, I made this with whole milk instead of water and also added vanilla as another reviewer suggested. I used the full 4T of coconut cream concentrate. This is almost like a creamy version of a coconut "jello" and holds its shape nicely. Very good.
# Posted By Meghan | 2/26/11 12:57 PM
Wonderful recipe - sounds so easy and so tasty!
# Posted By Cooking Rookie | 3/23/11 3:39 PM
So does it take 1 3/4 cups water total or 1 3/4 plus another 3/4 cup?
# Posted By Char | 6/7/11 10:42 PM
Char: It calls for 1 and 3/4 cups water plus an additional 3/4 cup water.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 6/8/11 10:45 PM
I don't have cornstarch but I do have arrowroot. Would that work as well?
# Posted By Joy | 7/27/11 7:25 PM
Thanks so much for this recipe. Haupia is one of my favorites, but my Auntie's recipe called for milk and I'm allergic. This is a treat! It wasn't quite right, but I'll try a few times to get it more like hers. She always adds coconut extract, never vanilla.
# Posted By Julie Cummings | 9/6/11 6:19 PM
Looks yummy! Joy: I would think that arrowroot would work in place of the corn starch, but I am not sure. Let me know if you do use arrowroot to make this, as I am curious as to how it turned out. :)
# Posted By Angie | 10/29/11 6:27 PM
I'm making this for an office luau - how do we eat it? Fingers? spoon? thanks!!
# Posted By tj | 12/13/11 8:55 AM
Fork or spoon. It's like a jello.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 12/15/11 12:42 PM
Just "discovered" organic creamed coconut at our local (amazing Wegmans) food store. [If you don't have a Wegmans near you..so sorry; it's a wondrous place.]
Blessings on the person who submitted this recipe. I am 69 years old and have never forgotten the coconut pudding I had at a luau in Hawaii, when I was 8 or 9 yrs old. Can't wait to try making it.
# Posted By Carol C | 12/16/11 12:51 PM
Just ate a piece of this. Very, very good. I used one cup of coconut milk, and the rest water. This reminds me of a pudding we eat in Puerto Rico called tembleque. I enjoyed this very much, and see myself making it when I'm in the mood for something fast, and sweet. Really liked the texture too, reminded me of a jello jiggler. Thanks
# Posted By Sandria | 3/2/13 9:49 PM
Anyone thought about adding some pinapple tidbits and some rum extract? How about brown sugar instead of white cane sugar?
# Posted By Bo | 6/6/13 11:44 AM
According to wikipedia, arrowroot is the the traditional thickener. corn starch is the substitute.
# Posted By Bo | 6/6/13 12:00 PM

1 gallon
Grass-fed Bison Sirloin Steaks
Grass-fed Bison Sirloin Steaks
Grass-fed Beef Short Ribs
approx. 4.5 pounds (2 packages)
Short Ribs