These little candies are a perfect, easy candy to make for any special occasion. They're gluten free, no bake, and just melt in your mouth.

When making the dough it's important to use the exact measurements for the butter and heavy cream. If you use too much, you'll end up with sticky dough. But if that does happen, just add a little more powdered sugar until it's no longer sticky.

You can also pile on almost as much of the coconut peanut butter as you like. Just stick the entire round back into the refrigerator to let it firm up before trying to roll it into a log. If you don't refrigerate first, all the coconut peanut butter may ooze out, and you'll end up with a mess. Nobody wants that.

The coconut peanut butter is perfect in this candy: the combination of smooth, nutty flavor with the creamy, sweet candy swirled together make it the perfect melt-in-your-mouth, rich sweet treat. Make some today, and share with a loved one this Valentine's Day!

Coconut Peanut Butter Meltaways

Coconut Peanut Butter Meltaways Close-up recipe photo
Coconut Peanut Butter Meltaways Plate recipe photo
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy, Photos by Jeremiah Shilhavy

Servings: 20 - 30 pieces

Combine all ingredients except Coconut Peanut Butter until a soft but not sticky dough forms. Divide into two balls.

Roll each ball out into a 6 inch circle (or desired size) between two sheets of wax or parchment paper. Spread with at least 1/4 cup coconut peanut butter. Add more if desired. If you used about 1/3 cup of Coconut Peanut Butter or more, refrigerate un-rolled round for about 5 minutes, or until firmer.

Roll dough spread with Coconut Peanut Butter up into a log. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes or until firm enough to slice.

Take logs out and slice into 1/2 inch pieces. Keep refrigerated.

Enjoy!

Sarah

does it have to be salted butter? we don't buy salted.
# Posted By Miss Rachel | 12/30/09 10:51 PM
No, just add a pinch of salt if you're using unsalted.
# Posted By Sarah | 12/31/09 11:41 AM
oh good, because I'm going to make these. We happened to have powdered sugar and no other sugar, and I wanted something sweet. something to make with my AWESOME new coconut peanut butter from you all. That stuff is great. :)
# Posted By Miss Rachel | 1/18/10 7:28 PM
Genius....pure and simple!

xoxo
# Posted By Pam | 3/1/10 8:48 PM
Mmmm...that looks so yummy. What could you use to sub the powdered sugar though?
# Posted By Melina | 3/6/10 9:02 AM
Melina: You don't. It's the base, the "flour" for the candy. :)
# Posted By Sarah | 3/6/10 12:40 PM
Thanks for the recipe. My grandmother made these years ago and I've never knew how. Thanks!!!
# Posted By jimmyt | 5/24/10 12:59 PM
Great recipe idea! I made my own version with a few tweeks, that turned out great. I used 1 cup of powdered sugar and 1 cup of cocoa powder, so my dough was chocolate and lower in sugar. I didn't have any heavy cream on hand so I used whole coconut milk. I also haven't yet ordered coconut peanut butter, but I will soon, so I used almond butter instead. They turned out great! Can't wait to actually follow the recipe and make that version next time.
# Posted By Sara | 9/15/10 12:20 AM
If u don't have the coconut peanut butter, get all natural peanut butter, pour of the oil and replace it with cocnut oil. I do it all the time and it's great!
# Posted By Tammy | 12/9/10 2:26 PM
the cocoa powder suggestion was EXCELLENT!!!!! Also, i used coconut cream concentrate with warm water as a substitute for the heavy cream. for powdered sugar, i just took my sucanat (or rapudura) and put it in my high powered blender and made powdered sugar. TASTE IS AWESOME!!!!!
# Posted By Tammy | 2/10/11 10:55 AM
a great way to "slice" this is with a piece of thread. pull the thread under the log and bring the ends to the top.. criss cross them and "slice".. BEAUTIFUL!!!
# Posted By tammy | 2/10/11 12:30 PM
All of these suggestions are awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Tammy, could you tell me more about the Sucanat or Rapudura? I've never heard of it. Great idea, though! I'm thinking you could do that with Turbinado as well, eliminating the unknown factor in the processing of powdered sugar.

I make this as the old fashioned "Potato Candy", but cannot wait to try it this way. LOVE the thread cutting suggestion!! I probably will never use a knife again!
# Posted By Polly | 2/19/11 12:15 PM
Polly: The only sugar that will work in this recipe is powdered sugar. I use organic, unbleached powdered sugar. However for other sweets and baked goods whole sugar ("real brown sugar") is a great sweetener. You can buy it from Tropical Traditions here: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organic_sugar.htm
# Posted By Sarah:) | 2/19/11 2:59 PM
Thank you SO much! (for BOTH responses!)
# Posted By Polly | 2/19/11 5:34 PM
Thanks so much Tammy for giving the advice on using regular peanut butter and replacing the oil with coconut oil. I was wondering about that, as I don't have any coconut peanut butter.
# Posted By Angie | 11/10/11 3:47 PM
You can also make your own coconut peanut butter by mixing coconut cream concentrate and natural peanut butter. I've done it this way and it tastes the same. I like the idea to add coconut oil to PB, also.
# Posted By Erin | 3/12/12 11:35 AM
Lots of sugar, and dairy - two items that many humans, me included could live without. This much sugar wreaks havoc on my health and I cannot tolerate dairy either. Has anybody tried to make these or something similar without so much sugar? or with a healthier sweetener and without dairy? Maybe with coconut milk
# Posted By mary jean | 7/10/12 2:06 PM
I'm a type II diabetic mommy :( and haven't tried very hard to eat better because I haven't found any tasteful recipes to use so far, so I just gave up trying. I believe Coconut oil is good for me but any ideas on how to use it besides adding it to my Oatmeal? Most of the "Diabetic" recipes use artificial sweeteners etc. I only want to eat natural foods. I need to lose weight but want to eat like a normal human being too. It's so depressing, I feel hopeless. Any ideas?
# Posted By Kandy | 9/12/12 7:13 AM
Dental floss is an excellent "thread" to use for cutting a roll of dough into cookies or candies.
# Posted By Linda | 4/8/13 3:28 PM