No Bake Coconut Cocoa Chewy Bites recipe photo
No Bake Coconut Cocoa Chewy Bites
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy, Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

Servings: 1 dozen
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes

In small to medium saucepan, add butter and coconut oil. Turn on medium-low heat and as the fats melt, stir in cocoa powder until mixed. Add in honey and sugar and continue to mix until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is smooth and thickens with a shiny appearance. (Be careful to not overheat or scorch the cocoa.)

Remove pan from heat and add salt, vanilla and mix. Then add the shredded coconut and mix until all coconut is covered (the mix will become thick, similar to stiff cookie dough, as the coconut absorbs the moisture).

Use a melon scoop or rounded measuring spoon to scoop out mounds and place on parchment paper. Let them sit to cool and set up. Can be placed in refrigerator to firm up more quickly.

Recipe submitted by Cherie, Kettle Falls, WA

Why Sugar??

That was a surprise.

No sugar in this house.

I make the best pudding you ever tasted with coconut oil.
# Posted By Robert | 3/21/11 11:30 PM
Robert: The sugar helps the chewy texture and it boils down nicely and sets up firm, so it helps the overall finished product. You can try experimenting with all honey instead if you want, I'm sure it'll work.

Feel free to submit your pudding recipe! I'd love to take a look at it.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 3/22/11 11:14 AM
Will someone please tell me approximately how long to cook the butter, coconut oil and cocoa? I don't think I cooked mine long enough, but I really would like to know approximately how long i should cook until it thinkens. Thanks a lot!
# Posted By Emibunnie | 3/22/11 4:51 PM
Emibunnie: About 2 minutes-ish. It'll all depend. You'll know it's ready when the oil is all absorbed, the mixture thickens and becomes fudgy and shiny.

I also like to use less coconut oil then the recipe calls for since it always pools out during cooling if you use the full amount called for.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 3/22/11 11:15 PM
This looks really yummy, Can I use Agave Nectar in this?
# Posted By Carrie | 3/23/11 10:14 AM
Carrie: We do not encourage the use of agave nectar/syrup as it is an unhealthy sweetener and contains more fructose then high fructose corn syrup.

Stick with pure, raw, organic honey. It tastes so much better and is good for you!
# Posted By Sarah:) | 3/23/11 12:12 PM
I made this yesterday and was worried I had messed it up: I used half the sugar because it seemed like alot, then cooked about 2 minutes until shiny and sugar was melted--not really thickened. I had to increase the coconut to 2.5 cups, because there was so much "loose" chocolate mixture, but it never firmed up to be "scoopable"... So, I lined a glass bread pan with parchment, and poured/patted in the mixture to firm up in the fridge. My first taste when it firmed up was like eating a mounds bar! I didn't miss the extra sugar at all, as far as taste, but wonder if the recipe needed it to be scooped. Some extra liquid spilled under the parchment, but it was still a yummy result.
# Posted By Jan | 3/23/11 12:48 PM
What a wealth of information! I'm checking back here often! Didn't know that about the agave nectar however that does raise the question for those odd recipes that do call for corn syrup, what is a good substitute (taking into consideration the texture and consistency). Thanks so much!
# Posted By Joy | 3/23/11 1:40 PM
Jan: The mixture should thicken up considerably during cooking. These are best when set out at room temperature to firm up as they are at their chewiest when at room temp.

Joy: Brown rice syrup is a great corn syrup substitute. You can use it straight or thin it out a bit with a little water. Either way I've never had a problem with it in replace of corn syrup!
# Posted By Sarah:) | 3/23/11 6:43 PM
I agree with a previous comment, that you should reduce the amount of coconut oil that the recipe calls for. I made a double batch and had about 1/4 cup of oil pool out while I was making the balls. Next time I will reduce it accordingly. Other than that, these are super good.
# Posted By Monica | 3/24/11 8:58 PM
These were delicious! I used a bit less coconut oil, upon user suggestion, and had just a little bit seep out. I will definitely be making these again.
# Posted By Megan | 4/1/11 3:22 PM
My husband is a diabetic so sugar is pretty much out for him as is any corn syrups, honey etc. I have just learned about coconut nectar and am starting to use that in place of sugar etc. It is supposed to be very low glycemic. Anyone else use this?
# Posted By Cindy | 4/20/11 9:47 AM
These were the BOMB!!! I followed the recipe exactly. I had difficulty melting done all of the sugar since I was using turbinado but it left us with a nice little crunch. It seemed like I needed to cook it for a long time due to the sugar melting issue. These are a new favorite sweet in our household. Thank you for sharing.
# Posted By Kellie | 6/27/11 10:39 PM
Re: Shreded Coconut? Sweetened or unsweetened?? Thanks.
# Posted By Joy | 2/25/12 3:11 PM
What can I use inplace of the butter? I have not heard of "grain fed" butter. I have been using coconut oil for my butter.
Also below it was asked what to sub for the sugar for us diabetics. Suggestions please and thanks so much.
Sharon
# Posted By sharon | 5/22/12 1:28 PM
Sharon: You mean grass fed butter? The ingredient is hyperlinked to here: http://www.grassfedtraditions.com/grass_fed_butter.htm

All coconut oil would work in here.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 5/22/12 2:26 PM
I substituted coconut crystals for the sugar....gluten-free. It worked out well and my family loved them.
# Posted By Christi | 7/4/12 4:33 PM
Grass-fed butter? I'd love to see a butter eat grass!
# Posted By Kim | 12/21/12 7:27 PM
Hmmm...never heard the term before? "Grass fed" is a term used for animals who's primary diet is grass (instead of grain). In other words, the butter was made from milk from a cow who was raised on grass.
# Posted By Sarah | 12/24/12 7:48 PM
From what I gather 1/4 cup coconut oil is the better way to go?? Can I freeze these for enjoyment another day??
# Posted By LouLou | 7/14/13 5:30 PM

Good Calories, Bad Calories
Good Calories, Bad Calories
until Sunday April 27th
Coconut Oil for Pets
Coconut Oil for Pets
Coconut Oil for Pets
while supplies nearing expiration date last