Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Cookies photo
Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Cookies

Icing:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixer blend together pumpkin, flax seed meal, xanthan gum, apple cider vinegar, vanilla, salt, honey, coconut oil, and spices.

In a separate bowl combine almond meal, coconut flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and blend well.

Roll Tbsp size balls and flatten with hands. The dough will not spread while baking. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack or paper towel.

Icing:

Carefully soften coconut cream concentrate in a small sauce pan over low heat. It will burn quickly so stir constantly. Add honey. Place a 1/2 tsp of icing on each cookie. It will be the consistency of play dough. With your fingers press out the dough to the edges of the cookie.

Recipe submitted by Lisa, Marietta, GA

Am I to assume that the cooking temperature is 350?
# Posted By Margaret | 3/23/11 6:05 PM
I thought you had to add extra eggs to a recipe when baking with coconut flour... BUT there are no eggs in this recipe at all! Does the pumpkin take the place of the eggs?
# Posted By jan | 3/24/11 1:02 PM
Can't wait to try this one out!!!!
# Posted By DeeDee | 3/24/11 3:11 PM
Does this recipe really call for NO EGGS? Usually coconut flour recipes use lots of eggs. I am just wondering if this is correct or not. The cookies look delicious and I am looking forward to baking some.
# Posted By Annette | 3/24/11 4:01 PM
Margaret: Yes, the baking temp is 350 degrees F.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 3/24/11 4:34 PM
I made them already tonight (substituting organic corn starch for the xanthan gum + adding a pecan on the top - that's what I pushed them down with) ... and they're really good! You don't need eggs. They're pretty moist - almost like little pumpkin cakes. Not sweet at all.

Thanks for the recipe - I just happened to have a cup of pumpkin puree in the fridge that I needed to use up!
# Posted By Linda | 3/24/11 6:55 PM
Oh! I'm going to make these when the pie pumpkins in my garden get ripe! Do you need to put in the flax seed? Could I use something else for the icing? Like a regular icing made with sugar?
# Posted By Angie | 7/16/11 1:30 PM
can't wait to try these! :)

For those wondering about the no.eggs, i recently found out that flax seed is an egg substitute! :)
# Posted By charity | 9/12/11 12:01 PM
I, too, would like to know a substitute for the flax seed meal... I'm thinking a couple eggs might do it?
# Posted By Jan | 9/12/11 1:38 PM
Oh this sounds good, I was looking for a pumpkin cookie or cake receipe.
# Posted By Claudette | 9/12/11 4:14 PM
This was a fantastic recipe. I didn't have all of the flour quantities and substituted other, gluten-free flours. I chilled the dough for a couple of hours, rolled it out on parchment paper and we made pumpkin cut-out cookies. The thicker rolled ones were especially nice; soft and cake-like. We decorated with a maple glaze and were thrilled with how well they tasted.
# Posted By D Hannre | 10/12/11 6:39 PM
I have an almond nut allergy. So I replaced the almond flour with coconut flour and the cookies were very crumbly. Do you have any suggestions for those of us that can't have the almond flour? Thank you.
# Posted By Stacy | 11/6/11 5:07 PM
This is great! I have been wanting to try coconut flour, but I can't have eggs. Is there anything else that I could use for the flax seed meal?
# Posted By Jennifer Quiroz | 11/18/11 6:43 PM