Macaroons from Coconut Milk Pulp photo
Macaroons from Coconut Milk Pulp
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy, Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

Have you ever made your own coconut milk only to be left with a handful of leftover coconut pulp and nothing to do with it? It's too valuable to throw away, but what in the world are you supposed to do with it?

It's actually really simple. Just use it as you normally would use dried coconut. It's great in smoothies, granola, cookies, as a breading for meats, a treat for your pets (dogs, cats and horses love this stuff) - just be creative. The only problem would be that the coconut is now drier after getting blended, scalded, and squeezed to death during the coconut milk process.

But not to worry, some recipes will just need a little extra moisture. I adapted the Classic Coconut Macaroons recipe to work with the coconut pulp, and it needed very little tweaking. I used more egg whites then usual since the cookies came out too dry the first time. But other than that, it's pretty much the same. A double batch of the homemade coconut milk should give you a good amount to work with. But for those odd amounts that are "neither this measurement nor that measurement," just use regular shredded coconut to make up the loss.

For this recipe, you need to dry the coconut first. Simply spread it out on a baking pan, pop it in a warm oven (100-200 degrees, however low it'll go) for 3 hours or overnight. You can turn the oven off after an hour or less and just let it sit until dry. It's not very picky. Here's a video demo showing you how to do this.

Enjoy everyone!
Sarah

Servings: approximately 1 dozen cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a bowl, combine coconut, vanilla, salt and honey until well combined.

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into coconut mixture along with cream of tartar.

Scoop mixture into a cookie scoop and press unto a greased cookie sheet as you drop it (you can compact the balls or leave it fluffy). Bake for 10 – 15 minutes, or until browned.

Recipe courtesy Sarah Shilhavy

I just started making my own coconut milk, so the timing for this recipe is perfect! I will be trying it this weekend, thank you!
# Posted By Cherie | 4/20/11 2:38 PM
My husband's nutritionist just switched us from cow's milk to coconut milk! Good thing I'm already a customer. I will try this recipe soon for both the coconut milk and the macaroons to use up the leftover pulp.

Thank you for being here for us. Terry.
# Posted By Terry H. | 6/6/11 8:06 PM
These did not turn out at all. Way too wet and didn't hold together. Didn't even bake after 10 more minutes. I think I'll save mine for pancakes.
# Posted By Amy | 9/13/11 2:12 PM
Amy: The coconut probably wasn't very dry. The pulp should be dry and compact after the last press.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 9/13/11 5:40 PM
Can you suggest a good replacement for the egg whites? I'd like to make these (or something as close as possible) for my son with egg allergy. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer before I start experimenting ;)
# Posted By Rachael | 10/11/11 10:11 PM
I didn't like this recipe at all. The texture is nothing like a macaroon. I dried the pulp as instructed for 3hrs which is just too much bother. They are entirely too fluffy and not coconutty enough. I'm going to try this one instead http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/recipe_CoconutMacaroons.htm which calls for one whole egg for the same amt. of shredded coconut.
# Posted By Nalla | 12/6/11 9:57 AM
Do you have to use Cream of Tartar? What is the purpose? Just curious....
# Posted By Marianne | 6/12/13 10:39 AM
These cookies did not come out at all. My coconut was completely dried when I prepared the batter. It was too wet. I had to sub out lime juice for cream of tartar because I didn't have any on hand. I had baked half of them when I realized that it was way too wet. The second half of the batter was ok because I added more of the dried coconut (I had a lot left from making many batches of coconut milk). However, parchment paper is definitely a must for this recipe. No matter how well oiled your pan is, it will stick. I have no idea how much more coconut to add- but I just put more in. Had I used parchment paper, I think the cookies would have worked with more coconut in them. I will keep tweaking the recipe! Also- I subbed out the honey for brown rice syrup, which has a very similar consistency to honey. (According to ayurvedic medicine, cooked honey is considered toxic.)
# Posted By Emily | 8/22/14 8:50 PM