|Mexican Beef and Summer Squash Casserole|
|photo by recipe author|
This is one of our favorites - nourishing and satisfying without being heavy, lots of good protein and loads of veggies. Perfect way to use that wonderful abundance of summer squash. Comforting, delicious and full of flavor, even picky children have been reported to love it. YUM!
Preparation Time: 20 prep, 30 bake
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef or bison
- 1 package organic taco seasoning (or for a change, 1 tablespoon steak seasoning, 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder, salt & pepper to taste)
- 2 cups shredded raw sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped peppers (a mixture of jalapeno, Anaheim, banana and green peppers)
- 2-3 cup summer squash (yellow, scallop (patty pan), zucchini)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- salt & pepper to taste
Preheat a cast iron skillet to med high heat.
Sauté onions and peppers with half the coconut oil and salt and pepper to taste (sauté in a splash of white wine for added flavor) until soft, set aside. Brown ground beef using the rest of the coconut oil, until just cooked and tender.
While beef is browning, begin slicing yellow and zucchini squash. Dice squash. Drain any extra fat from beef and add the seasoning.
Grease a 9x13" glass dish. Place half of the squash, peppers and onion in dish. Cover with half of the beef mixture and half of the shredded cheese. Spread yogurt over cheese. Add in the rest of the squash, peppers and onion and cover with the rest of the beef mixture, topping with the rest of the cheese and some fresh cracked pepper.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until the top is starting to brown. If cheese starts to brown too soon, cover with foil. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe submitted by Lydia, Salem, VA
|The average is oldaverage based on oldtotal votes.|