Sometimes you just need a really, really quick breakfast. Other days you don't want any at all. Or you may be starving but have absolutely no time to make a big breakfast because you overslept and the day is wasting away.

Whatever.

The point is, this smoothie makes a great breakfast. It's creamy, fruity, a great energy booster (thanks to the coconut oil), and very filling. It's pretty much the perfect and quickest breakfast you'll be able to put together in under 5 minutes. It's best if you do the soak overnight option, but either way is great.

Oh, and yes, there are raw rolled oats in here. Don't fear them. They make the smoothie so filing and add such a nice texture.

How to Avoid Clumping When Adding Coconut Oil to a Smoothie

You don't have to worry about coconut oil clumping in your cold smoothie if it is done correctly. True, coconut oil does solidify when cold, and just might form stubborn little clumps when added to cold drinks, but you just need to outsmart it. It's actually very simple, as the video will show you. All you do is melt the oil (gently, making sure it isn't hot, as warm smoothies aren't very nice) and while the blender is whirling your delicious smoothie into a creamy goodness, slowly pour in the coconut oil in a steady stream. The oil will disappear into your drink and leave you with a wonderful coconutty taste and creamy froth to top it off.

Sound good? It is. Try it for your next breakfast.

Enjoy!

Sarah

Raspberries & Cream Breakfast Smoothie Recipe

Raspberries and Cream Breakfast Smoothie photo
Raspberries and Cream Breakfast Smoothie
Prepared by Sarah Shilhavy, Photo by Jeremiah Shilhavy

This smoothie is rich, creamy, fruity and very filling. The natural energy boosting properties of coconut oil make it the perfect way to start your day!

Combine all ingredients except raspberries and coconut oil and let soak for 1 hour or up to overnight.

Place all ingredients except coconut oil into a blender and blend until smooth while pouring coconut oil into blender in a steady stream.

Pour into a glass and enjoy!

Recipe courtesy Sarah Shilhavy

Will pouring the coconut oil into the blender to keep it from clumping work with ANY smoothie recipe, or just with this one that uses rolled oats? For example, would it work with my usual smoothie of almond milk and frozen bananas?

Thank you.
# Posted By Ronn | 8/29/11 12:44 PM
Looking forward to trying this recipe, but please, what is a honey date???
# Posted By Heather | 9/1/11 4:14 PM
do you have to let this 1st ingrediants sit over night? if so, why?
# Posted By kamie | 1/27/12 10:58 PM
Soaking helps soften the oats and just improves the overall texture. A honey date is a certain type of date, but you can use any kind of date here or none at all.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 1/28/12 2:52 PM
What setting did you use on the VitaMix to start the smoothie with the top off without having everything slash out the top?
# Posted By Mary C | 4/10/12 11:44 AM
It was probably started out on the lowest setting, then gradually worked up to a higher speed as needed.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 4/10/12 1:45 PM
This is a terrific smoothie! I was wondering how to ingest 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil a day when I found this recipe. Many thanks Sarah!
# Posted By BessCGY | 4/13/12 10:46 AM
I just take coconut oil straight up twice a day, about 1 1/2 tablespoons each time.
# Posted By Carol | 5/5/12 4:30 PM
Sounds wonderful!
# Posted By Donna | 5/30/12 12:30 AM
I make daily soothies with kefir, flax seeds and fruit (sometimes greens). I always add everything, including the coconut oil (unheated...a big blob of it) to the VitaMix and turn it on ...starting slow as she said, ending up on the highest setting. I have never had any glumps of CO.
# Posted By Stevie | 1/18/13 4:14 PM
FWIW, I just add a spoonful of coconut oil (not melted) to our smoothies in a regular blender and just set on high. Up to this point, we've never had any trouble with coconut oil clumps...and I'm SUPER sensitive to the clumps. I must have a SMOOTH smoothie, or I can't drink it because of my texture issues.
# Posted By Alli | 1/18/13 4:40 PM
I do a smoothie very similar to this, using milk kefir and 1/4 cup raw oats and soak those overnight. If they don't soak the texture of your smoothie is gritty. In the morning I add a banana and blend it, then add a handful of frozen strawberries. After that has blended pretty well, the smoothie is nice and thick and you can then take the top off and slowly pour in the coconut oil without it splashing all over the place. I added the coconut oil after the bananas once and half the smoothie ended up on the countertop!
# Posted By Carol | 1/18/13 5:43 PM
Do you let it sit on the counter over night or in the fridge?
# Posted By Wendy S | 2/6/13 11:31 AM
It is cold enough here that my coconut oil is solid .. I make a daily whey protein shake with 1T chia seeds, 1 T flax seed, 15 almonds, and aprox 1 T coconut oil in my vitamix with 1 cup hot coffee, I let it sit for an hour to soften. Then I add 1 T unsweetened cocoa, 1-2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, a few drops of stevia glycerite and 1 scoop choc whey protein. Whir that up slow working up to highest speed for maybe 10-15 seconds and it is all smooth and thick, then I add 2 cups ice, at highest speed for another 10-15 seconds and it comes out almost like a soft serve ice cream. LOVE my coconut oil, never clumps when I make this protein shake.
# Posted By sue in CA | 3/14/13 11:34 AM
Maybe I am stupid, but I wonder if you can tell me how to add coconut oil to cake batter without it clumping. Do I have to let all the ingredients come to room temp or what?
# Posted By Nancy | 5/23/13 3:57 PM
Wow Sarah's family's probably originally from the czech republic .D do they know what their surname means? :D
# Posted By terinka | 7/25/13 4:10 PM
What does it mean terinka?
# Posted By Jane | 7/26/13 3:40 PM
>>Jane, it means "squint-eyed" :D The word for it in Czech is "šilhavý" but Sarah's family changed the "š" to "sh" to be less confusing :)
# Posted By terinka | 7/27/13 3:56 PM
Can you leave jar of coconut oil out at room temp. after opening. Directions suggest to refrig. after opening ?
# Posted By Sandra S | 8/10/13 11:41 PM
Thank you so much. We have smoothies twice a day and I have been trying to add coconut oil to them with disastrous results. I have tried your method and I am thrilled, especially when it was such a simple answer to an annoying problem.
# Posted By Barbara | 10/18/13 10:59 PM
Sandra S. you can store Coconut Oil as you do shortening, in pantry. I purchase large jugs of it through Vitacost. It's organic , high quality having the pearly white color and faint coconut flavor, and I've never had a problem with it in my pantry.
# Posted By leSann | 1/10/14 4:16 PM
What are the oats soaked in?
# Posted By Kim | 3/16/14 9:16 AM
Just love the coconut oil it wasn't mentioned on the blog but eating food with coconut oil in it will help lose belly fat. It is just so good for you for everything. Also if you swish it around in your mouth everyday it will help with gum disease and keep your breath fresh all day long. I also found it helps with sinus problems as well.
# Posted By Judy S | 6/10/14 12:37 PM