|Stuffed Acorn Squash|
|photo by recipe author|
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2 acorn squash
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage (remove the casing)
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 celery rib
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 apples, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
1. Pre heat oven to 400. Cut squash in half, length-wise and scoop out the seeds.
2. Melt one tablespoon of coconut oil and brush insides of squash with oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and cinnamon to taste. Roast for 60 minutes.
3. While squash is roasting, melt remaining coconut oil in a pan over medium heat and brown the sausage. Remove sausage from pan and let cool in a mixing bowl. Leave the fat in the pan.
4. Finely dice the onion, celery and garlic and sauté over medium heat for a few minutes-- until they are softened. Add some salt and pepper. Then add the chopped apples and sauté for a couple more minutes.
5. Remove from heat and add to the mixing bowl with the sausage. Allow to cool.
6. When sausage and vegetable mixture are cool enough to handle, add egg and shredded coconut. Mix with clean hands until well combined.
7. After an hour, remove squash from the oven. Divide the stuffing among the 4 halves-- the stuffing should be mounded-- and bake for another 20 minutes.
Recipe submitted by Leslie, Amsterdam, NY
|The average is oldaverage based on oldtotal votes.|