Tangy Coconut Lemon Chicken Salad photo
Tangy Coconut Lemon Chicken Salad

Not only is this salad full of amazing flavor, it's incredibly healthy as well! I give you permission to lick your plate afterwards too, as the dressing is so addicting! We do!

Preparation Time: 45-60 minutes

• 1 med. green bell pepper
  • 1 large Fuji apple
  • 1 med. yellow onion
  • 1 large handful cilantro, chopped
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • garlic (to taste)
  • salt & pepper (to taste)

Dice all ingredients and mix well. This is best to make a while in advance as the longer the juices have to sit together, the better the pico tastes.

Ranch Powder:

Mix all ingredients together in a blender to create a nice, fine powder. I make this in mass quantity to always have on hand – plus I use it for many other things!

Coconut Lemon Dressing:

• 2 eggs
  • 7 tablespoons FRESH squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons homemade ranch powder
  • 4 tablespoons Gold Label Organic Coconut Oil, melted (must still have the coconut flavor)

In a blender, combine eggs and lemon juice and blend on high. Add the ranch powder and blend again. Lastly, add the melted Gold Label Organic Coconut Oil, fairly slowly so the oil doesn't solidify (but not as slow as if making mayonnaise). Dressing should be fairly runny still, but frothy. You can adjust the lemon/coconut oil ratio up or down a bit, depending on your taste preferences – we like it nice and tangy with lots of lemon. Also, dressing is not nearly as good if made with store bought lemon juice – best with FRESH squeezed lemon juice.

Salad:

1. Melt 1-2 teaspoons Gold Label Organic Coconut Oil in a small fry pan. Sprinkle chicken with some of the dry ranch powder and brown both sides over medium heat until fully cooked. When cooked, cool enough to dice.

2. Assemble salad with chopped romaine lettuce, pico de gayo, diced avocado, and the cooked, seasoned chicken. Cover generously with the tangy coconut lemon dressing, and top with crunched up tortilla chips.

Recipe submitted by Jodi, Lehi, UT

I'd love to make this!
# Posted By Ann | 1/16/12 5:12 PM
Could you give the caloric value of your recipes please. I would like to try cooking with Coconut oil but I do need the caloric values. Thank you.
# Posted By Betty | 1/24/12 1:42 PM
Ummmm... Im scared ! the dressing is made with raw eggs?? And its OK to eat this ?? really ??
# Posted By Rusti | 1/25/12 5:01 PM
This entire recipe sounds fabulous but I, too, was wondering about the raw eggs.
# Posted By Polly | 1/26/12 3:44 PM
Im looking forward to an answer, as I REALLY want to try this ! I am thinking that the lemon has something to do with it......
# Posted By Rusti | 1/26/12 5:14 PM
I bought all the ingredients today to make it. Might just have the salad without the chicken the first time :-)
# Posted By Polly | 1/26/12 6:19 PM
The dressing is perfectly edible with the raw eggs. Its like homemade mayo, which is made with raw eggs. Just be sure to use good, high quality eggs.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 1/26/12 7:15 PM
It seems after a lot of investigating, that the dressing is indeed fine to eat, as long as its nice and fresh. I was a bit concerned ( I wont even eat home made mayo because its not pasteurized ) but its a popular thing to make. Just not sure I am willing to go that route yet.... I think Id replace this dressing with an asian one. ( no egg ) Thanks for all the feedbk. :)
# Posted By Rusti | 1/27/12 3:36 AM
Regarding the eggs: This really is safe, BUT it depends on the quality of your eggs. I would never attempt raw egg recipes (ie: this dressing, or mayo) with ANY egg I bought in a STORE. I get my eggs from a local farmer and know his farming practices. That is what is meant by high quality eggs. Hope this helps! I have yet to ever get sick with raw eggs, and attribute this to the quality and source of my eggs. Eating raw eggs was a very good question -- glad it was asked! =)
# Posted By Jackie | 1/29/12 2:03 PM
this recipe looks so good, thanks for the recipe
# Posted By Carolyn Colley | 1/29/12 4:36 PM
Thanks Jackie ! It does help. I have quite a few farmers in my area selling eggs......... Although Ive never bought any, I may check it out. Any suggestions on what ' practices ' to look for? Thanks so much !
# Posted By Rusti | 1/30/12 5:37 PM
OK, people. I made a half recipe of the dressing WITH a raw egg bought in a super store. I've eaten the salad 4 times. No ill feelings. Of course, I never get sick. This salad is wonderful without the chicken. I made it exactly by the recipe. Was disappointed that coconut oil has little, if any, coconut flavor. Sprinkled coconut on my salad. Ohmygosh! Really good. I luv, luv, luv the apple in the pico de gayo. Finally cooked the chicken breast today. For me, it didn't improve the salad. Will probably continue eating it on the side. Sprinkled with the ranch powder and fried in the coconut oil created another delectible way to cook chicken. Highly recommend this for those who enjoy a multitude of flavors. One caution: err on the lesser side of a "large handful" of cilanto!
# Posted By Polly | 1/30/12 5:56 PM
Regarding the coconut oil not having much flavor: I too was a bit disappointed. I made a chicken - curry dish from this site, and thought the same thing. No flavor at all! But the dish turned out so well, my hubby is already asking me when Im gonna make it again !
# Posted By Rusti | 1/31/12 6:01 AM
This is DELICIOUS- very full of bright flavors. I didn't have fresh tomatoes or limes on hand, so I mixed a 16-oz jar of salsa with the chopped apple, and added 4 drops of lime essential oil.
If you don't want to mix up the ranch dressing powder, just add to the lemon dressing: 1/2 tsp. each garlic powder, onion powder, parsley flakes, and salt, plus 1/8 tsp. dill weed. Also, I had cooked meat on hand, so I coated 2 c. of cooked, cubed [turkey] with 2 Tbsp. of the dressing.

About the raw eggs- what I read from Alice Waters (famous chef, who uses/used raw eggs in her restaurant's mousse) is that a whole, perfect egg cannot contain salmonella, which is the bacteria to be cautious of. The inside of an egg is sterile; the only way salmonella gets inside is through a crack in the shell, or from being on the shell and contaminating the insides after breaking it open. So select an egg with no cracks- not even hairline cracks- wash and dry it, and then use it without concern. She says she has NEVER had anyone in her restaurant get sick from having the mousse. I've done this, and never had any problems either.
# Posted By Rhonda | 1/31/12 9:55 PM
Good tip about using the salsa ! I appreciate the raw egg info too! Thanks Rhonda ! ;)
# Posted By Rusti | 2/1/12 3:15 PM
fyi, the coconut oil that has a strong coconut taste is the virgin coconut oil. the expeller pressed has no flavor and is great for frying foods and using in recipes where you don't want a coconut flavor. both types are very healthy.
# Posted By susan | 7/2/13 5:28 PM