Gluten Free Molten Lava Chocolate Cake photo
Gluten Free Molten Lava Chocolate Cake

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease four 6oz ramekins with coconut oil. If you wish to serve these cakes on a plate, you will need to flour as well (use coconut flour, blanched almond flour, or cocoa powder).

2. Melt chocolate and coconut oil over low heat or a double boiler. Stir until smooth and let cool.

3. In a small bowl, beat eggs, vanilla, salt and sugar with a hand mixer until light and frothy, about five minutes (this can seem like an eternity with a hand mixer, but hang in there because it's worth it!).

4. Pour egg mixture over chocolate. Sift cocoa and coconut flour over the top. Then gently fold all the ingredients together.

5. Pour batter into prepared ramekins (they should be filled to within 1/2" of the top). Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and place in the oven (you can chill the ramekins for a few hours if you want to make them ahead of time, just make sure you bring them back to room temperature before baking). Bake for 11-12 minutes.

6. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Enjoy!

Recipe submitted by Sarah, Marietta, GA

I am so excited to try this one! Thank you Sarah!!!
# Posted By ischa | 1/23/12 12:57 PM
This looks so delicious! Could you possibly make it in a small pan instead of four ramekins?
# Posted By Angie | 1/23/12 6:28 PM
Easy, fast and really good! I had just under 4 oz of semisweet chocolate so I added and extra teaspoon of cocoa powder to compensate. They turned out perfectly. I might add an extra tablespoon of sugar next time to sweeten them up. I also topped them with some fresh cream - yum! I will definitely make this again. Thanks!
# Posted By Dakotah | 1/25/12 9:02 PM
Just had one of those nights when u needed yummy gooy chocolate & it was fabulous. Topped it off with casein free whip cream from my Spunky Coconut cookbook & it was so yummy & hubby approved by licking the bowl! ;)
# Posted By Jennifer | 1/30/12 8:32 PM
Just made this recipe, and my dinner guests commented that it was like going to an upscale restaurant.
Served in crystal bowls, topped with a scoop of vanilla coconut ice cream and chocolate syrup-yummmmmm!
# Posted By Donna | 2/2/12 7:07 PM
I made this and I used unsweetened chocolate and I added extra sugar. I didn't have any ramekins so I used a pyrex glass container and baked all of the batter in that. It was fabulous! All gooey in the center! mm..... But I will add more sugar next time or maybe just use semisweet chocolate, because it could have used a touch more sugar. I will be making this again! Yummy! :) Thanks for the recipe!
# Posted By Angie | 2/3/12 3:10 PM
Absolutely excellent! Quick and easy.
Melted 1/2 cup (4 oz) of semisweet chocolate chips in the microwave with the coconut oil. Instead of extra sugar, stir 2 tablespoons of Nutella into the chocolate as it cools. Made it up ahead of time using Special Dark cocoa and slipped it into the oven in a Corning ware casserole dish as we sat down to eat. The whole family enjoyed this perfectly delicious, healthy completion to Sunday dinner. For the adult version, add a dollop of hazelnut liqueur flavored fresh whipped cream.
# Posted By Alyssa's Mom | 2/13/12 2:52 AM
Made this one tonight. I let it sit a little after coming out of the oven so it was a little firmer. Could've heated it in the microwave a little but didn't. It was still good. Would've been even better with real whipped cream. This is remarkable delicious for only having 2 TB sugar and no flour. Amazing.
# Posted By Renee G | 2/17/12 11:33 PM
I have this several times now and have found that it tastes much better if you either treat the ramekins with real butter or a healthy non stick spray, and use semi-sweet chocolate. By using semi sweet chocolate, the 2 TB of sugar works out great. I make whipped topping with real cream for it. Hard to believe this is flourless and only 1/2 TB sugar per serving. Most other flourless chocolate cake recipes may not have flour but they are loaded with 2 cups or more of sugar!
# Posted By Renee G | 3/11/12 7:50 PM
I have made this as directed and it was fabulous. Today I tried to make it low carb. I used one unsweetened baking chocolate square. (14 carbs) I also increased the cocoa to 4 teaspoons. Plenty of chocolate with that. I substituted 2 Tablespoons Xylitol and 8 drops vanilla creme stevia for the sugar. It was tasty and satisfied the chocolate craving but it still could have been sweeter. this recipe totaled around 24 carbs - LESS than two slices of bread! so go ahead and have a breadless sandwich and pig out on this dessert! Half of this recipe is less than one slice of bread.
# Posted By Cherylee | 3/27/12 5:16 PM
Delicious! Thanks for sharing.
# Posted By Jules | 2/15/13 8:10 PM
This made an amazing Valentine's dessert! Simple and divine. Will definitely make again. Thank you :-)
# Posted By Margot | 2/16/13 8:56 PM
SO good! My whole family loved it and super easy to make. Thanks!
# Posted By Jess | 3/13/13 12:25 PM
This recipe sounds and looks delicious! I am trying to make it for the first time, and I'm quite new to baking. Can someone please let me know what it means to "fold the ingredients together? Also, does the chocolate mixture have to be cool temperature wise to add the egg mixture? Or is it ok to add egg mixture while the melted chocolate is still warm? Thanks for your help! It would be so awesome to have this delicious recipe captured on a video to see what the consistency of the ingredients look like, just to be sure. Thanks so much for sharing. SongLinh.
# Posted By SongLinh | 1/5/14 8:16 PM
SongLinh - good questions! Basically folding ingredients is to take a rubber spatula, slide it down along the side of the bowl until you reach the bottom and gently scoop it up to the top and then bring the spatula back down to the bottom all in one motion. It sounds complicated in text so I recommend checking out a video tutorial.

The chocolate does have to be cooled. Basically if you can stick your finger in it without getting burnt or hot, it'll be fine.

We'll take your request for a recipe video on this into consideration! Have fun, I hope this works out for you!
# Posted By Sarah S. | 1/5/14 9:01 PM
This sounds soooo good but is there any way I could replace the eggs with applesauce or something? Little one has an egg allergy.
# Posted By Ashley H | 2/14/14 10:24 PM
this recipe is soo good.. i misread the instruction at first and put in 2 TB of cocoa powder instead of 2 TSP.. It turned out great,, especially for dark choco lovers!
# Posted By nita agustin | 5/11/14 4:45 PM

1 gallon
Grass-fed Bison Sirloin Steaks
Grass-fed Bison Sirloin Steaks
Grass-fed Beef Short Ribs
approx. 4.5 pounds (2 packages)
Short Ribs