Coco-Cocoa Velvet Dessert photo
Coco-Cocoa Velvet Dessert

Preparation Time: 5 min, plus chilling

• 1 1/2 cups water, divided
  • 1 packet unflavored gelatin (2 1/2 teaspoons)
  • 2 tablespoons coconut cream concentrate
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 drops of orange essential oil, optional (use food grade or better!)- OR use 1 drop lavender oil
  • 1/2 tray's worth ice cubes (7-8 ice cubes, should be 4 oz.)

Pour 1/2 cup of the water into a blender. Add the gelatin, and let sit to soften.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining water to boiling. Pour the hot water over the gelatin mixture; turn on low to mix and dissolve. Add coconut cream concentrate, cocoa powder, honey, salt, vanilla, and essential oil. While motor is running, drop in ice cubes, one at a time. Blend until smooth.

Pour into four (6-oz) ramekins, or in one (2-cup) mold. Refrigerate until set, 2-4 hours. Serve in the containers, or dip the bottoms in hot water for 20 seconds, then invert to un-mold.

If you want to un-mold it, I recommend you double the amount of gelatin.

Recipe submitted by Rhonda, South Jordan, UT

What can I use as a coconut cream concentrate? I know there really isn't a substitute, but is there a substitute that would at least keep the texture the same?
# Posted By Kendle L. | 1/27/12 5:45 PM
Kendle L.: Peanut butter will probably work, but that will change the texture.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 1/27/12 6:47 PM
If you don't have coconut cream concentrate, use coconut milk instead of the water in this recipe.
# Posted By Rhonda | 1/27/12 11:57 PM
Kendle, from the looks of this, I would use (as a substitute for the coconut cream concentrate, AND the water) 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk.

This looks to me to be a geletinized chocolate milk. Sounds yum; I think I'll try it. :-)
# Posted By Thia | 1/28/12 3:03 AM
Chocolate and Coconut together is my fav! Seriously I can't wait to try this
May even have to do it today. Thanks for the post!
# Posted By Samantha | 1/31/12 12:17 PM
The dessert sounds delicious and what a beautiful presentation, Rhonda!
# Posted By Nelda | 2/2/12 10:09 AM
thank you so much for posting this recipe! since going GF/CF, i have missed custard/pudding so much. i can't wait to try this...i know my husband will love it :)
# Posted By Emily Jelassi | 2/10/12 12:36 PM
Has anyone substituted chia seeds soaked in water for the gel and more nutrition instead of the gelatin?
I'm waiting delivery of my products -- a total novice.
Also, how would virgin coconut oil be substituted for the cream concentrate?
# Posted By Martha | 6/24/12 1:35 PM
Martha, you could use chia, but the texture would be entirely different, more like tapioca. I've done that, and it is good.

No, coconut oil is not a substitute for coconut cream.
# Posted By Thia | 6/25/12 3:11 AM
PS Martha- Dont presoak the chia in water...add them to the coconut cream and water as listed above...or add them to premade coconut milk (dry chia). They will soak up the liquids, and gel.
# Posted By Thia | 6/25/12 3:15 AM
Thank you, Thia. I should have ordered the coconut cream too. Now there's a limit of $16 so I'll have to wait for a while til I see how it goes with using the oil and chia seeds.
# Posted By Martha | 6/25/12 3:39 PM
Martha, in the meantime, try using coconut milk (or any type milk) instead of the water & coconut cream. :-)
# Posted By Thia | 6/26/12 2:52 AM
Coconut milk works perfectly well in this instead of water and coconut cream. (I submitted this recipe, and have made it both ways.)
# Posted By Rhonda | 6/26/12 4:04 PM
Would this work without the honey?

Thanks!!
# Posted By Keira | 7/18/14 10:09 AM
Keira: Yes, and it depends. If you just leave out the honey, there will be no sweetness to it. The original recipe I had called for table sugar, so you can sub that in. I haven't tried it with stevia but it seems like it'd work.
The mixture will set up a little firmer without honey, since honey is about 20% water, or add 2 Tbsp extra milk or water to compensate.
# Posted By Rhonda | 7/18/14 4:11 PM