Gluten Free Coconut Cookies photo
Gluten Free Coconut Cookies

Servings: 24 cookies
Preparation Time: 5-10 minutes

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and butter two baking sheets.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or using a hand mixer, cream the butter. Add the sugar and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix thoroughly.

In a small mixing bowl, use a whisk to combine the coconut flour, salt and baking soda; whisk vigorously to break up any clumps of flour. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, then stir in the shredded coconut.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the greased cookie sheet, one inch apart; bake 8-10 minutes, until the bottoms are golden. Use a spatula to transfer the cookies to a rack to cool.

Recipe submitted by Jennifer, Gainesville, FL

I love coconut and this recipe looks yummy. I have a question though...do you need to use sweetened coconut flakes or can you use unsweetened? I'm wondering if I can use agave syrup instead of sugar although I wouldn't know what the conversion rate is! Let me know if you might have any ideas...thanks!
# Posted By Terry | 1/10/12 1:27 PM
These little gems are delicious! I did change it up and added about a half teaspoon of lemon zest, along with the juice from 1/2 lemon, just because we love lemon. They are slightly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. One thing though, I don't think the directions mentioned that the cookies need to be flattened before baking (at least mine did). I used my fingers to flatten and it was easy to shape them into heart cookies. A sprinkling of sugar on top before baking would dress them up further for Valentines, perhaps.
# Posted By Erin | 1/14/12 9:25 PM
Made these. Love these. They are very good but not as sweet as I would like. But then I have a terrible sweet tooth. So after the first batch I put lemon zest in the remaining cookie dough. Wow. They are tremendous now!! I used organic Sucurat for my sweetener. Could that be the reason for the cookies not being sweet enough in my first batch? These will be a regular at our house with lemon zest. I also did the calculation and they are only 82 calories per cookie with all the good fats. I got 19 cookies out of the recipe. I may have made them bigger than planned by the originator of this recipe
# Posted By MarcyG | 3/12/12 8:32 PM
I use another alternative to adding shredded coconut, and that's shredded mozzarella cheese. To die for!
# Posted By SerenaW68 | 6/6/12 6:42 PM
yum is all I can say
# Posted By Andrea | 8/21/12 10:45 PM
I tried this recipe but substituted stevia for the sugar. The cookies tasted OK, but were dry and had the consistency of biscuits. Has anyone else experienced this?
# Posted By Bruce | 12/9/12 7:49 PM
I just made these cookies using organic coconut sugar in place of regular sugar. (Same calories, lower on the glycemic
index.) I also added 1/2 tsp. of True lemon crystallized lemon. They came very good, I will make them again. Since we love nuts in everything, next time I will try adding some chopped nuts and bits of dark chocolate and not add the lemon since I don't think that would go with the chocolate.
# Posted By carol | 4/13/13 5:32 PM
I just made these and I am so very, very pleased. YUMMERS!!! I used organic coconut palm sugar as my sugar and instead of butter I used organic virgin coconut oil. I added organic chocolate chips too. I also flatten mine after the second batch but didn't find it made any difference. I had to bake them for the full 10 minutes. I found they were a little crumbly when I took them from the oven but when cooled they held together better. Next time I'm going to try butter, as the recipes states, and see what happens. I'll definitely be sharing this one with my clients. Now...time for another cookie.
# Posted By Tammy | 4/13/13 5:39 PM
These cookies turned out great! I added the zest and juice of one lemon (as suggested by Erin, though I used more than she did) as well as a dash of almond extract on a whim. These will go great with a cup of tea or just by themselves. I'm excited to have a gluten-free cookie that is so tasty and satisfying. And thanks to Erin for the lemon idea!
# Posted By Kristine | 8/16/13 1:02 PM
Yum! Just made a batch, substituting 3 Tbs. maple syrup for the sugar, and reduced the recipe to 2 eggs. Made first pan without lemon zest. Second pan with lemon zest. The zest really brightens the flavor! I also pressed them down which made for a cookie that holds together a little better. They seemed a little dry to me, so will add 3rd egg in future batches!
# Posted By Pikespeak | 2/21/14 4:55 PM

Powdered Laundry Detergent
Powdered Laundry Detergent
until April 20th
Coconut Oil for Pets
Coconut Oil for Pets
Coconut Oil for Pets
while supplies nearing expiration date last