Pumpkin Crunch Casserole or Breakfast Pudding Recipe photo
Pumpkin Crunch Casserole or Breakfast Pudding Recipe

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Soak chia seeds in water for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use coconut oil to coat the inside of 6 8-ounce ramekins. In medium bowl mix soaked chia seeds, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, sugar, and vanilla. Take a tiny taste and add stevia if you want a little more sweetness. After everything is well incorporated, divide pumpkin mixture evenly among the 6 ramekins.

In small bowl mix ground almonds, cinnamon and coconut cream concentrate. Sprinkle evenly over the pumpkin mix.

Bake for 25 minutes at 350 using a water bath method. When almonds are starting to brown, remove from oven and pour coconut milk over top. Serve warm or cold.

* For the freshest coconut milk make homemade coconut milk. (See video at this link.)

Recipe submitted by Joanne, Delmar, DE

Yum!
This is similar to the Pumpkin Pie Quinoa bake I made yesterday for a gathering! This time of year we have local squash & pumpkin both from my CSA share & in the local markets - so I bake one, then puree it. The pumpkin & coconut are sweet, so I just added a tsp of maple syrup; you could use more if you wanted.
My bake also includes coconut in several forms (milk & shreds, a bit of oil)
# Posted By Dia | 11/1/12 3:18 PM
I don't have ramekins- can this just be made in a 9x9 baking dish instead? And what is a water bath?
# Posted By Robin | 11/4/12 5:10 PM
Sounds delicious, I will try it. What is water bath method? Do you just place the ramekins in a pan of water in the oven? Please clarify.
# Posted By Suzy | 11/5/12 6:31 AM
Water bath: Take a large pan, place the ramekins on it, stick it in the oven, and fill it about halfway with boiling water.
# Posted By Sarah | 11/8/12 3:18 PM
Just made this for the first time, it was very tasty. Tried it warm out of the oven.

Didn't have ramekins so used 8ounce jars that are usually used for home preserving. I also did not bother with the water bath - that's what kept me from making it in the past - seemed like too much trouble. But it came out well. Don't forget the milk on top - it gives it a nice contrast in texture. Baked at 275 for 35 minutes.
# Posted By iluvnyc | 10/29/13 8:38 PM
I can't wait to make these, but how much coconut oil?
# Posted By Mary | 10/30/13 8:51 AM
I see now that the oil is to coat the ramekins. Sorry I didn't read it before I asked.

I love your site and recipes, thank you!!
# Posted By Mary | 10/30/13 8:52 AM