Gluten Free Pumpkin Tart Recipe photo
Gluten Free Pumpkin Tart Recipe

Crust:

Filling:

Crust:

Add the nuts and dates to a food processor and combine until the mixture looks like rough sand.

Add in the syrup and oil and pulse until dough forms.

Press dough evenly into 9 inch tart pan covering the bottom and sides. Place in the freezer while you make the filling so it can set.

Filling:

In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk, oil, butter and sugar and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat to low and add the pumpkin, syrup and seasonings, stir well

Add the mixture to a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth.

Poor filling into the crust and place the tart into the freezer to set-up, about 30 minutes

Remove from freezer and place in the refrigerator, store there until right before you are ready to serve it.

Quick notes

**I used Deglet dates which are smaller than Medjools, so you may only need 2 Medjools.

I prefer expeller press coconut oil so there is not a coconut taste to the filling or crust.

* For the freshest coconut milk make homemade coconut milk. (See video at this link.)

Recipe submitted by Kate, Highlands Ranch, CO

No eggs? No milk? I tried this and followed the recipe exactly but question there being no egg nor milk. Nut crust smelled wonderful.
# Posted By BC | 11/21/12 11:37 PM
Can I substitute Coconut Cream Concentrate for the coconut milk cream?
# Posted By Seth | 11/26/12 8:27 AM
I'm going home for the holidays and hope to make this dessert, can i mix coconut cream concentrate with coconut milk to replace the full fat coconut milk?
# Posted By Emily | 12/17/12 10:00 AM
I had asked something similar ... I made this the other day and used CCC to replace the full fat coconut milk cream. I lowered the coconut oil a little and added some coconut milk. . I also replaced the almonds with walnuts since my wife is allergic to almonds. It came out fine and my wife really enjoyed it.
# Posted By Seth | 12/21/12 6:59 PM
I made this using CCC and a tablespoon or so of water instead of the coconut milk cream and it turned out well. The "custard" had a good flavor.
# Posted By Carla | 11/2/13 6:30 PM
Can this be made ahead and frozen?
# Posted By Lorraine | 11/23/13 10:22 AM
People need to understand that using refined processed sugar is what makes this dessert extremely unhealthy as processed sugar is toxic (poison) to the human body but people don't see it that way since society is conditioned to think it's "normal" or okay to ingest. But sugar not only causes chemical reactions in the brain to keep you craving more of it (just as a drug does!), it also creates an acidic environment in your body which is what disease thrives on. The key to being and staying healthy is to have an alkaline environment. Most processed foods (which contain refined processed sugar) and most restaurant foods cause acidity as they are laden with sugar, other chemicals, and GMOs.

A great healthy sugar substitute for this recipe would be coconut sugar. Other healthier alternatives for sweeteners are dates, date paste, coconut nectar, pure maple syrup (grade B), raw organic agave, raw honey, lucuma powder, and mesquite powder. People need to STAY AWAY from the processed sugar. Period! I was shocked to see it in this recipe.
# Posted By Dana | 11/23/13 11:44 AM
Dana - whole cane sugar is not unhealthy, it just needs to be moderated as all sugars must. Coconut sugar and nectar are non-sustainable products (you can read more about it here: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/coconut_palm_sugar.htm) and agave nectar/syrup is a heavily processed product and contains more fructose than corn syrup.
# Posted By Sarah S. | 11/23/13 11:17 PM
YUM! I did not have dates so I used dried cranberries and goji berries instead. They made the crust look so festive! I also did not have all the coconut oil required so I just used the whole can of coconut milk. This is absolutely delicious and will become a traditional favorite!
# Posted By Sarah | 1/12/14 9:37 PM