Tessera de Cocoa – Coconut Oil Chocolate Squares photo
Tessera de Cocoa – Coconut Oil Chocolate Squares

An intense chocolate treat blessed by the richness of organic fruit juice concentrate and the tropical flavor of virgin coconut oil. A typical serving is one piece (a mosaic-like tessera), but two or three pieces for an extended coffee break often become a symbolic "celebration of cacao".

In a small bowl, warm coconut oil and stir in cocoa. Add fruit juice concentrate (or concentrate mixture) and stir to complete intense flavor blend and to create a smooth texture.

Pour mixture into a flat bowl lined with wax paper (press a sheet of wax paper between two bowls), then sprinkle on toppings if desired.

Turn the second bowl upside down to create a temporary cover and refrigerate for several hours.

When firm in the center (chilled, but not completely hardened), slice into squares and store in a covered container in the refrigerator.

* Use single juice concentrate or mix several to create unique flavor combinations (try tart cherry, cranberry, elderberry, blueberry, pomegranate or black currant).

Recipe submitted by Rod, Dallas, TX

This looks great! I love that it has no refined sugar! I am going to have to try this very soon!! Thank you for sharing it.
# Posted By Linda | 2/29/12 12:47 PM
Fruit juice concentrate is always sweetened with some kind of sugar....you just have to watch the label.
# Posted By Joan | 2/29/12 1:24 PM
could you use anything besides fruit juice concentrate? How about coconut sugar or xylitol?
# Posted By julianne | 2/29/12 5:42 PM
Coconut sugar is a non sustainable product (http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/coconut_palm_sugar.htm) and xylitol is highly processed. I'd try any kind of fruit juice that you have on hand, and if it isn't sweet enough add a bit of honey.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 2/29/12 6:30 PM
Your presentation for this is fabulous! I love the colors of the orange and chocolate! Great job!
# Posted By Angie | 2/29/12 7:06 PM
hmmmm, I don't have any concentrated fruit juices in my home. I don't even buy regular fruit juice for the grandkids. wonder if xylitol and stevia would do the trick? I'm diabetic and need safer options.
# Posted By Kitty | 3/1/12 6:57 AM
If you don't have all the ingredients but you want the exact same results, you're better off finding a different recipe since all the ingredients here don't have an easy sub. Take a look at the coconut oil fudge recipes or the Quick Chocolate Coconut Pudding-Fudge.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 3/1/12 11:57 AM
I have made something like this but with Truvia not fruit juice , I am going to give the juice a try. I have unsweetned cherry juice... Yummy can't wait I am going to rtry I right now... :)/
# Posted By Suzette | 3/1/12 12:26 PM
Truvia isn't healthy.
# Posted By Sarah:) | 3/1/12 4:19 PM
I made these today.. but used maple srup and honey.. and mixed coconut in it,, and made a double batch.. They are like almond joys with out the almonds.. (didnt have any) but will add that to them.. they are like little candy bars that are healthy.. and I did have 3 with coffee.. but they are very rich.. YUMMMM!!! thank Rob..
# Posted By eve | 3/3/12 3:34 PM
Lovely photo! In answer to someone else's comment, you can make this just fine without the added juice. Actually, I don't have access to coconut cream where I live, and I make a very similar chocolate without it. I use coconut oil.
# Posted By Tricia | 3/4/12 12:19 PM
This recipe maintains the best antioxidant focus when concentrate (fruit only, like syrup) is used as the sweetener (black cherry is my favorite). However, natural unsweetened cocoa is the primary contributor in this recipe.
# Posted By Rod | 3/7/12 10:03 AM
A dietary caution: the original name of this intense chocolate recipe refers to "a small piece of chocolate". Since theobromine (a mild stimulant) is present in chocolate, Tessera should not be consumed in large quantities.
# Posted By Rod | 3/7/12 8:57 PM
This intense chocolate Tessera recipe can be enhanced with dried fruit (also good contributors of antioxidants): try 2/3 cup dried black currants! Spread these evenly across the wax paper before gently pouring the warm chocolate mixture.
# Posted By Rod | 3/25/12 11:20 PM
I will use freshly made pineapple juice, so it tastes like a Pina colada fudge.
# Posted By Roberta L | 9/2/13 9:13 PM

Benefect Hand Sanitizer
Benefect Botanical
Hand Sanitizer
until Sunday August 3rd
Chicken Steaks for Dogs
Raw Chicken Steaks for Dogs
18 pounds total (3 packages)
Raw Chicken Steaks
for Dogs
until Sunday August 3rd
Chicken Steaks for Cats
Raw Chicken Steaks for Cats
3.6 pounds total (3 packages)
Raw Chicken Steaks