Pumpkin Coconut Oatmeal Bars photo
Pumpkin Coconut Oatmeal Bars

Servings: 24 bars

• 4 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
  • 5 cups old fashioned/rolled oats (not the quick cooking kind)
  • 3/4 cup milk soured with 1 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
  • 1/2 cup real (grade A or B) maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 3/4 cup dates, raisins, dried cranberries or any other dried fruit you wish (chopped)
  • 3/4 cup chopped nuts (unsalted)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9?x13? glass baking dish by lightly coating with coconut oil.

2. Add all ingredients together and mix well. Press into baking dish.

3. Bake for 40 – 45minutes or until top is golden brown. Remove from heat and let cool. Cut into squares.

Recipe submitted by Kristen, Mattapoisett, MA

There was a comment on Facebook about whether or not it was really 4 1/2 cups of pumpkin, and the answer is yes. I know, thatsalada pumpkin! But it's worth it. Moist and delish! Enjoy, Tropical Traditions fans! :)
# Posted By Kristen | 3/2/12 7:38 PM
Is there something I can use in place of the soured milk?
# Posted By Katie | 3/3/12 12:12 PM
I made a half recipe of this tonight (well, a little less than a half -- 4.5 c is a very odd amount if using canned pumpkin. 1 can is 1-3/4 c of punkin). It was very good! I would add a little more sweetness, and I saw this as someone who doesn't need things to be very sweet to be sweet enough.
# Posted By deborah | 3/3/12 9:43 PM
KATIE, if you need non-dairy substitute for milk, have you tried coconut milk, almond milk, etc.? I can't have cow's milk but goat milk is OK for me. But, I recently discovered coconut milk at our regular grocery store in the health food section and it is great and creamy.
# Posted By Alaskanharpist | 3/4/12 3:05 PM
I'm making this tonight for the first time. I used one can of pumpkin and decreased the oats. I forgot to decrease the flax. I also used coconut milk added more spice and coconut extract. I also forgot to add the coconut and walnuts..doh! If they taste good I'll remember to add next time.
# Posted By chris d | 3/4/12 5:37 PM
This look really good, and look like they would be very filling. I did the calorie count on Sparkpeople recipe calculator, and if you cut it into 24 bars as you said, it's 150 calories. I think that makes it a great snack or breakfast on the go....
# Posted By Cynthia | 3/4/12 9:06 PM
I made these with rice milk last night and they turned out great. I think it would be fine with almond, hemp or coconut milk too (we seem to rotate between these in my place).
I also used sunflower seeds over nuts only because we were out of nuts. It worked really well. I will try it with pumpkin seeds next time.
# Posted By Chris | 3/5/12 12:13 AM
My angle on this recipe would be to replace about half the pumpkin with plain or vanilla yogurt. This way, you could mix the yogurt with the oats and soak for 12-24 hours to break down the anti-nutrients so prevelant in grains. Of course the bars would be less pumpkiny, but I think it would still taste great and be just as moist, and much healthier. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I'm excited to try it!
# Posted By Erin | 3/8/12 9:24 AM

1 gallon
Freeze Dried Blueberries

Organic Freeze Dried Blueberries
Freeze Dried Blueberries
until Sunday August 31st
Hand Sanitizer
Benefect Botanical Hand Ssanitizer
Benefect Botanical
Hand Sanitizer
until Sunday August 31st
Dog Food
Pastured Organic Raw Chicken Steaks for Dogs
3 packages (18 pounds total)
Pastured Organic
Raw Chicken Steaks for Dogs
until Sunday August 31st
Cat Food
Pastured Organic Raw Chicken Steaks for Cats
3 packages (3.6 pounds total)
Pastured Organic