Coconut Oil Chocolate Walnut Freezer Fudge photo
Coconut Oil Chocolate Walnut Freezer Fudge

Preparation Time: 5 minutes, plus chilling

1. Whip coconut oil in the bowl of a standing mixer until fluffy (2-3 minutes).

2. Add cocoa powder and maple syrup and continue to whip until completely combined (about 1 minute, but you might need to scrape the sides a couple of times).

3. Add chopped walnuts and mix just to combine.

4. Spread into a 9"x9" baking pan. Chill in the refrigerator until set (at least 1 hour). Cut into squares and enjoy (store in the fridge or freezer).

Recipe submitted by Sarah, Marietta, GA

What consistency is the coconut oil when you whip it? Here it's usually pretty stiff unless I melt it.
# Posted By Ina | 5/28/12 9:00 PM
I just made this fudge. It's good!! I softened the coconut oil first as I wasn't sure either but discovered it thickens quicker from it's original consistency. I ended up refridgerating the oil I'd softened so that it would thicken. Then it was able to be easily whisked to a thick creamy texture. Added puffed quinoa and raw pistachios into the mix as well, sprinkling chopped pistachios over the top before setting in the fridge.
# Posted By Carole | 5/29/12 9:10 PM
I had to play with this recipe a little, but it turned out great! My jar of coconut oil had been on the stove so it was soft - too soft. I beat it for about 5 minutes, but ended up having to put it in the 'frig until it got cold. Then I used the Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa and it was much too chocolatey and I'm a dark chocolate fan. I would suggest starting with maybe 1/2 to 2/3 cup of cocoa and add to taste. Because it was almost bitter, I added a little extra maple syrup and a little shredded coconut to add volume. It turned out to make an awesome fudge, but when I make it again, I'll tweak the recipe just a little.
# Posted By Stefanye | 5/31/12 12:31 AM
I tried to make this today using liquified CO- didn't whip up at all. So I poured it back into my measuring cup and it is currently in the fridge. I believe this will solve the problem of it not whipping up (though I did attempt to) while in liquid form.
Cannot wait to finish this recipe!
# Posted By Judith | 5/31/12 2:18 PM
too oily, and not sweet enough.
# Posted By Terri | 5/31/12 5:54 PM
Ina, I whipped it when it was pretty hard (68 degrees in the house) and it whipped beautifully. I was surprised. Still, I did not like the taste of this recipe and would have to alter it if I make it again.
# Posted By Lisa | 5/31/12 7:12 PM
Thanks for the wonderful recipe! Have made it twice now, the first time it was cooler in our house and the coconut oil whipped up great. This time, it wouldn't whip at first until I read about placing it in the fridg. for a little while to have it start to harden. Then it whipped up great! -------- It's great to use to cover the "Healthy Mounds or Almond Joy Bars" that I found the recipe on line for.
Thanks for sharing!
# Posted By Martie | 6/21/12 2:07 PM
I made this fudge but it had a burning sensation. Does anyone know what might have caused this?
# Posted By Lynn | 7/12/12 2:00 AM
Burning sensation possibly from cocoa processed with alkali or possibly too much cocoa for you
# Posted By DLiesner | 5/14/13 5:08 PM
Does anyone have a maple version of this fudge?
# Posted By anna | 7/18/13 6:12 PM
This is excellent! We have enjoyed other freezer fudge, but this is the best!!! Made it with honey, stevia and pecans. Wonderful!
# Posted By Cindy | 12/11/13 1:02 PM